XXR vs XXR

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

The hype for TFA was insane.

You can't bring back that hype without the OT characters and without the Skywalker Saga.

The hype was supercharged by nostalgia. That will be gone the next time around.

Outside of Avatar 3-5, Secret Wars has the best shot at 2 billion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

I have a plan,How about Avatar fans just choose two male character and make them become couple and draw some picture about their kissing and hug,then people will admit Avatar have ‘culture impact’

Spoiler

The real cultural impact that people want. 

319172999_1217021812222242_3011198042561

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 3

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Is male and female character,is not their ‘cutlure impact’ meaning,in China also many people on internet said Avatar have no culture impact,ask them reason ,they’ll say ,’Oh Avatar don’t have “yaoi fandom” or ‘Fan Fiction’ on AO3!!!!!”

Their ‘Culture imapct’has nothing to do with box office,their ‘culture imapct’ is like do this IP have ‘Fan fiction’,have enough internet meme on social media,if the main character have huge fanbase…This is their limit meaning of ‘culture impact’,which is nonsense

In their define I can say ‘Attack on Titan’have more bigger culture impact than Avatar

They never know What attract us to watch the movie is not the character,is the fctansy and beauty of Pandora

Edited by Bruce

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I got told it was time for me to face reality and give up on it, just accept that it's going to scrape past 600m and be thankful for that.

No Way Home is the target

It could still just scrape by $600m but hopefully it's closer to NWH. ;)

1 hour ago, Marek the Jedi said:

hello fellow box office magicians! ;)

after this weekend what you've got in your numbers? is there even chance to get to Top Gun Maverick?

or it will need some miracle legs to do it.... thank you, Marek

very tiny chance IMO to beat TGM. I think it will land in the 600`s somewhere. 
But hey. Stranger things has happend

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another super day for A2, now building a commanding league over RO and most certainly heading 600m+. TLJ and TA is in sight.

WATERSO SHOWDOWN  - AVATAR 2 VS ROGUE ONE

DAY 18: (MONDAY) AVATAR 19m

DAY 18: (MONDAY) ROGUE ONE 15.9m

WATER TEMP: HOT (+3.1m)

CUME: AVATAR 444m  VS ROGUE ONE 440.9m

SEA LEVEL: MINUS 89.5m

WATER FLOW: 618m

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 3

Just now, The Dark Alfred said:

Another super day for A2, now building a commandin league over RO and most certainly heading 600m+. TLJ and TA is in sight.

WATERSO SHOWDOWN  - AVATAR 2 VS ROGUE ONE

DAY 18: (MONDAY) AVATAR 19.5m

DAY 18: (MONDAY) ROGUE ONE 15.9m

WATER TEMP: HOT (+3.6m)

CUME: AVATAR 444.4m  VS ROGUE ONE 440.9m

SEA LEVEL: MINUS 89.1m

WATER FLOW: 618m

Monday hasn't happened, yet. It can and will still go up. 

32 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

are there any big pre-2000's franchises that still havent been rebooted (or gotten sequels)?

of course, the best of all of them, Back to the future.

Zemeckis have repeteadly said that while they are alive no sequel or reboot will be made, what is something really nice in my opinion, to keep the essence of the original trilogy.
But for sure when they will die, for sure Universal won´t respect their wish and will make some kind of crap movie destroying hte legacy of so mythical movies, i hope to be wrong, but....

Just now, stuart360 said:

Just for reference for this weeks weekdays, AVATAR did this for Monday to Thursday -

8,1mil

7.3mil

6.9mil

6.1mil

A2 is currently 80mil ahead of the first film after Mondays gross.

Starting tomorrow is when the useful comparisons with Avatar begin.

1 minute ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Yep and A2 should at least match those numbers, if not go considerably over.

I'd guess A2 will have around a 86-87mil lead going into the weekend.

I think no cultural impact means Avatar characters aren't popular Halloween costumes, they don't have universally understood memes, they're not water cooler conversation, the forums are somewhat isolated, merchandising doesn't compare to other megafranchises, the music isn't as iconic as Star Wars/Jurassic Park, etc.

But obviously the movies have massive following so I'm not sure it matters.

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

The people on Twitter who keep arguing that avatar has no cultural impact in my mind are honestly just so wrapped up in their own echo chambers. That’s part of the problem with social media imo, is that people get into their own circles, and assume that everyone outside of that online circle thinks the same way they do. Just because someone doesn’t care about avatar and none of their friends do doesn’t mean that millions of people around the world are huge fans. It was the same thing earlier this year with some people I know irl saying that nobody is actually watching top gun Maverick. When I asked why, they said because none of their Letterboxd friends are watching it.

Avatar TWOW is a massive, resounding success, and regardless of whether it ends it’s run at 650M or 850M, the avatar and Cameron Stans on these boards should be very, very proud.

Avatar is a movie that everyone knows but it does not have any really intense fans like SW or marvel or HP and such.

Its a film I can watch and my 60 year old dad can watch.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

I know it's still very early in the day, especially PST, but would you be willing to share if any of your early data is pointing to a $20m Monday, like what was recently estimated in this thread? Feels a little light to me, but Sunday was terrific so maybe we're due for a slightly larger comedown than expected.

Since Charlie said Avatar 2 is Endgame in Canada, but effectively just regular solo hero Marvel level in the US. I'm really curious what the breakdown in total box office is between the US and Canada.  Normally, I thought it was about 90-10.  Is this movie 80-20 or even more crazy?

• Like 1

Arent popular Halloween costumes > Yeah but also I guess painting yourself blue is more effort than usual

Not as beloved characters > fair but a combination of it being full mocap, no A lister actors and it only being 1 original movie 13 years ago does explain some. Lets see how the perception is after movie 2-3

Not many internet memes > Not terribly important but it will be memed more and more as it set itself as a superwatched franchise with consistent releases

Music > Fair tho the first avatar had quite beloved soundtrack, just not a specific tune that stayed with people

Isolated internet forums > Doesnt matter

Not being water cooler conversation > i think it is are rn will consistently be as much as other blockbusters now with consistent releases

etc etc

For a bunch of these we have to wait and see how things evolve with Avatar being a present extremely watched franchise in the next decade