XXR & Friends

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

9 minutes ago, M37 said:

Problem is, there really isn’t a good comp here: lot of high grossing but fall off quickly titles vs low stating value and good post-holiday legs. Jumanji TNL is one of the few (only?) higher grosseing but still post-holiday leggy options 

Jumanji WTTJ maybe? 😎

Great weekend anyway. Can see anythying from ~600m to well over 700m now. 

The people on Twitter who keep arguing that avatar has no cultural impact in my mind are honestly just so wrapped up in their own echo chambers. That’s part of the problem with social media imo, is that people get into their own circles, and assume that everyone outside of that online circle thinks the same way they do. Just because someone doesn’t care about avatar and none of their friends do doesn’t mean that millions of people around the world are huge fans. It was the same thing earlier this year with some people I know irl saying that nobody is actually watching top gun Maverick. When I asked why, they said because none of their Letterboxd friends are watching it.

Avatar TWOW is a massive, resounding success, and regardless of whether it ends it’s run at 650M or 850M, the avatar and Cameron Stans on these boards should be very, very proud.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

In the span of a week the RO comp went from a stable +23 to -4 (or more). The way this run took a U turn is pretty crazy.

Not even a week, just from Wednesday on! Xmas was way above, but there were logical explanations for a single day over performance. Mon & Tue were still in line 

Something clicked (or just became apparent) starting that day

9 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

Jumanji WTTJ maybe? 😎

The Wed/less than a week before Xmas, usually second tier (as WTTJ had TLJ), openings tend to way outrun the big Friday tentpoles, as demand from the latter burns off and audiences circle back to the former. King’s Man outperformed NWH post-holidays last year too 

Edited by M37

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The people on Twitter who keep arguing that avatar has no cultural impact in my mind are honestly just so wrapped up in their own echo chambers. That’s part of the problem with social media imo, is that people get into their own circles, and assume that everyone outside of that online circle thinks the same way they do. Just because someone doesn’t care about avatar and none of their friends do doesn’t mean that millions of people around the world are huge fans. It was the same thing earlier this year with some people I know irl saying that nobody is actually watching top gun Maverick. When I asked why, they said because none of their Letterboxd friends are watching it.

Avatar TWOW is a massive, resounding success, and regardless of whether it ends it’s run at 650M or 850M, the avatar and Cameron Stans on these boards should be very, very proud.

Is there a group more out of touch with reality than Film Twitter? If you were to go by what they say, Kristen Stewart and Margot Robbie would be the biggest film stars of all time, when in reality they're audience repellants. 

• Like 1

Tbf, if you are an American (both North & South) minus Canada & saying that Avatar cultural impact isn't much or whatever, you are likely not that wrong.

The performance in Americas is of Tier B blockbuster. 

But overseas + Canada, now here Avatar is a Tier A stuff along with Avengers. Here that would be complete false.

Unfortunately media and internet discourse on Internet is America heavy, and Americans are pretty ignorant about rest. So we are in this position.

Not really a huge sample, but this is the result of TWITTER poll I had earlier last year

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Derpity said:

Miles ahead, for now.

A2 will beat TG2. With the way things are going, there's no question about it. A2 keeps breaking all rules. To increase this weekend is just insane. There's no competition for weeks/month(s).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Tbf, if you are an American (both North & South) minus Canada & saying that Avatar cultural impact isn't much or whatever, you are likely not that wrong.

But overseas + Canada, now here Avatar is a Tier A stuff along with Avengers. Here that would be complete false.

Unfortunately media and internet discourse on Internet is America heavy, and Americans are pretty ignorant about rest. So we are in this position.

Yeah people aren't entirely wrong about the cultural impact thing. 

The average person doesn't know the name Jake Sully like they do Jack and Rose. 

People aren't debating about anything Avatar related the way they still do about the Titanic door. 

Sam Worthington came out of the highest grossing movie of all time with his name still unknown by the general public. 

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Their ‘Culture impact has nothing to do with box office,more like do this IP have enough meme on social media or do the character have enough fans,if Avatar fans all make meme picture and spread out on Twitter or just yelling on the Instagram “Wooooooow I love Lo’ak!!he is so adorable!!!!’’Wow I think Jake Sully or villain General must be the couple!!They are so sweeeeeeet!!!!”something,then they’ll say this is culture impact

6 minutes ago, Bruce said:

if Avatar fans all make meme picture and spread out on Twitter or just yelling on the Instagram “Wooooooow I love Lo’ak!!he is so adorable!!!!’’Wow I think Jake Sully or villain General must be the couple!!They are so sweeeeeeet!!!!”something,then they’ll say this is culture impact

Nooooooooooooooo. I don't want that culture impact.

Not sure if this helps but CD to NY day drop could offer some insight how a film will hold post-holiday.

TGS: -4%

Juamanji TNL : -13.4%

Jumanji 2017 : -15%

Aquaman: -26%

NWH: -29%

TFA: -30%

RO:  -35%

TROS: -47%

TLJ: -48%

Avatar TWOW's -16% clearly is on the better half side. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1