XXR vs XXR

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

NWH 3rd Weekend: $56m

NWH Post 3rd Weekend Gross: $191m

Avatar Post 3rd Weekend Gross: $397m

way I like to look this period is dates and not days. 30 Dec-1 Jan

NWH - $59M, after that ~$200M
Avatar 1 - $58M, after that ~$440M

TFA - $85M, after that ~$250M

A2 will do $65M+, probably $225-250M after Jan 1.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Unless something unprecedented happens on SAT and SUN i think there's consensus that R1 is pretty much toast.

Ah yeah but the "it might make $600m if it's lucky" crew need to get aboard the new programming.

Top Gun Maverick Domestic is the first target

• Like 1

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Huh, only a +8.2% increase compared to A2's +11.3% to +13.6%. Puss in Boots often had higher increases than Avatar so this is a break from the trend if this holds.

Hopefully estimates today end up as 6.45M or higher

Edited by Alex SciChannel

57 minutes ago, Elessar said:

There must be a reason why movies fell much less in the beginning of 2022.

Yes: COVID/Omicron 

The holiday numbers were a little soft last year due to the massive outbreak, keeping a lot of people home, and delaying a good share of demand until later. I would be extremely hesitant to use 2021 holiday/2022 Jan/Feb as a roadmap for projecting forward this year 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Watching these people break down increases my life span.

More breakdown are coming 

When Avatar crosses Top Gun Maverick 

When Avatar crosses 2 Billion

And when the headlines read Avatar crosses Infinity War & Force Awakens and who knows, even Titanic. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

11 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Pretty sure one of his vids showed up on my youtube feed. He's a hater, and one of those that onl;y sees things from his perspective, so he's super puzzled why the film is doing so well.

8 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Pretty sure one of his vids showed up on my youtube feed. He's a hater, and one of those that onl;y sees things from his perspective, so he's super puzzled why the film is doing so well.

He may have a point.

How do we know for certain A2's current box office isn't part of a global, tax-dodging money laundering scheme?

• Haha 8

11 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Starting to think i should of stuck to my orig 750mil US/ 2.5-3bil WW total.

Got caught up in the nagativity around here. And fair play to Brother Ironjimbo, he stuck to his guns through all this.

Don't worry about it, it's difficult to survive through negativity.

It was almost like it was an advanced tactic to overinflate projections of the opening weekend so that when it came in at $135m mentally you already think A2 is in a bad spot.

The most similair movie to A2 box office wise will be the first Avatar, I don't know why that's so hard for people to see.

It's a sequel? Well not really is it. There's a big difference between a sequel to a 13yo movie that has been out of the spotlight intentionally, and the fifth movie from the same franchise in one year and #35 of the total franchise.

It's very possible that the only day that Avatar 1 is above A2 in dailies from now is today and tomorrow because of New Years Eve + New Years Day. A2 can simply from now just make more than A1 every single day until the end of it's run.

People will tell you that's impossible, why? Because they refuse to see

• Like 3