XXR vs XXR

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

If we look at which is more likely to happen first, the 3rd weekend $90m or the 1st weekend $357m. I think you have to go with the $90m.

Avatar 2 is about to make around $65m on a weekend with New Years Eve on the Sat and New Years on the Sunday. I would say it's lost around $5-7m due to that. So it's true weekend would have been around $70m.

So in my view the fact Avatar 3 exists and is being re-released in 2024 december, and will have a clear 3rd weekend with no new years eve, I think Avatar 3 has a really good shot at doing that $90m 3rd weekend.

And on the otherhand, what has a shot at the $357m? Is it even possible right now.

Avatar 4 is scheduled to have the golden calendar configuration if it releases on time in 2026.

51 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

I think third weekend. Hard to see a non Christmas movie that beats that for a long long time, and probably needs the same calender configuration as TFA had to be able to beat it. Feels like such a movie, like TFA, would have beaten the OW record as well.

Well that calendar configuration won't happen until 2031 so we're in it for the long run I guess.

Just now, cory said:

Avatar 4 is scheduled to have the golden calendar configuration if it releases on time in 2026.

Sadly it probably won't make 2026,

Wouldn't the golden calender be Thursday Christmas Day, Friday Boxing Day?

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Did not know this existed, got recommended on Youtube (likely because of Avatar's release). It's from Ubisoft so it's definitely gonna have some usual Ubisoft tropes (open world exploration, outposts, climbing things to reveal parts of the map, hunting and collecting animals/plants to craft various things) but I generally like Ubisoft games so excited about this one. Unfortunately no gameplay footage has been revealed till now. 

It got postponed by a full year, that worries me a little. Hopefully it comes together...

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If we look at which is more likely to happen first, the 3rd weekend $90m or the 1st weekend $357m. I think you have to go with the $90m.

Avatar 2 is about to make around $65m on a weekend with New Years Eve on the Sat and New Years on the Sunday. I would say it's lost around $5-7m due to that. So it's true weekend would have been around $70m.

So in my view the fact Avatar 3 exists and is being re-released in 2024 december, and will have a clear 3rd weekend with no new years eve, I think Avatar 3 has a really good shot at doing that $90m 3rd weekend.

And on the otherhand, what has a shot at the $357m? Is it even possible right now.

Well if inflation remains through the roof, the one of the Avengers movies in 2025/2026 could do it while selling less tickets than EG, IW, NWH or TFA.

Oh by the way, TFA's third weekend is about to enter into its 7th year with the record. Avatar held it for 6 years and before that, Spider-Man held it for a little over 7 years.

2 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Why not?

Cameron:

They exist. These stories exist. We know exactly what we're doing. We know what these movies are going to be. We just have to go through the process of getting them done. Ideally, two years from now, [Avatar 3] comes out. Ideally, maybe three years after that, [Avatar 4] comes out. Then maybe a couple years after that, [Avatar 5] comes out. So we won't be away from the marketplace."

https://www.thewrap.com/avatar-the-way-of-water-making-of-james-cameron/

Seems like 2026 was a stretch anyway with how long A2 took to make. A3 is already in post-production by the way, filming is complete.

Edited by IronJimbo

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Seems like 2026 was a stretch anyway with how long A2 took to make. A3 is already in post-production by the way, filming is complete.

If they finish post production on A3 next year (2023) and start filming A4 in 2024, I think they can make it with A4 getting released in 2024.

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Sadly it probably won't make 2026,

Wouldn't the golden calender be Thursday Christmas Day, Friday Boxing Day?

That's actually better than the Friday Christmas day imo, the latter is overrated because of Avatar. The one you mentioned is the Titanic configuration and is better. But even that one isn't the best imo.

The best holiday configuration imo is Tuesday Christmas day. That way you get five day weekends consecutively (Dec 21-25 and Dec 28-Jan1) and the entirety of the holiday frame is at nearly 100% capacity. That is the Fellowship of the Rings configuration.

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Cameron:

They exist. These stories exist. We know exactly what we're doing. We know what these movies are going to be. We just have to go through the process of getting them done. Ideally, two years from now, [Avatar 3] comes out. Ideally, maybe three years after that, [Avatar 4] comes out. Then maybe a couple years after that, [Avatar 5] comes out. So we won't be away from the marketplace."

https://www.thewrap.com/avatar-the-way-of-water-making-of-james-cameron/

Well Cameron starts filming again next month, and that was confirmed by someone on here who knows someone working on the films.

So i think 2026 isnt dead, with A3 already being filmed, and Weta hard at work doing the visuals for A3.

We will have to see i suppose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

If they finish post production on A3 next year (2023) and start filming A4 in 2024, I think they can make it with A4 getting released in 2024.

No way, recently Cameron said will be lucky if they release A4 like 3 years after A3