XXR vs XXR

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I can't believe we're heading to 2023 and this argument is still going strong lol 

(please don't start the same arguing here, is suppose to be a quick fun tweet to laugh)

I think this more shows Twitter does not reflect reality.

Avatar does not have a very rapid fanbase and it's story is so simple and universal almost anyone can watch it.

It does not really have an intense fanbase like most films lately like knives out which to the wider public is not anywhere as appealing as avatar or something..

However Knives out has a very large following but it's not anywhere near as universally appealing like a film like a avatar.

This is what Twitter film buff people don't get.

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

While I agree in general that last year isn't a good barometer for drops next weekend (because of external factors last year), I am actually not sure it is applicable to Avatar. It's very common that movies landing 20-25m or lower during Christmas weekend to increase a bit during NY weekend, however no movie has ever increased from a 63m weekend. It has just never happened. Sure, it would quite possibly have done a bit more last weekend if it wasn't for the storm and it might have ended up being more flat instead if so, but then again, pretty much only one movie has managed to do so as well, and that was with a snow storm weekend. Want to hazard a guess which film that is?

Well the only December movie which was not a part of a frontloaded franchise that did at least $60m in its second weekend was Avatar so there isn't a large sample size. 

Though Jumanji increased from $36m to $50m in its NYE weekend and likely sold more tickets than Avatar will, so there's precedent for that.

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I can't believe we're heading to 2023 and this argument is still going strong lol 

(please don't start the same arguing here, is suppose to be a quick fun tweet to laugh)

People with agenda's see what they want to see.

55 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It was almost like it was an advanced tactic to overinflate projections of the opening weekend so that when it came in at $135m mentally you already think A2 is in a bad spot.

Nah, Disney themselves (and competitors) overpredicted. It's their fault. :)

45 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Just 51 M for Friday overseas? Thursday was $47.9 M. Why the low increase? Is it because weekdays also behave like weekends?

Also, if that $180 M happens, that means this will increase from the $176.6 M it made overseas last weekend. Not enough to end up with $1 billion overseas by Sunday, but that's still huge. Insane numbers.

Finally, Germany is catching up with South Korea.

Edited by kayumanggi

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

have seen multiple tweets this week from people saying Avatar has no cultural legacy and they're literally just talking about it not having enough memes.

Using this logic

Revenge of the sith is the most popular film of all time

Based on memes per film

Lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

It was almost like it was an advanced tactic to overinflate projections of the opening weekend so that when it came in at $135m mentally you already think A2 is in a bad spot.

We all get carried away sometimes, you don't have to beat yourself up over it!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

have seen multiple tweets this week from people saying Avatar has no cultural legacy and they're literally just talking about it not having enough memes.

I wouldnt be surprised if there have been more Youtube vids made about A2 (both good and bad vids) than any other subject since it released.

For a film that 'No one cares aboutTM', thats pretty funny.

People keep saying this forum has come alive for the first time in a couple of years, all for this film.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I think this more shows Twitter does not reflect reality.

Avatar does not have a very rapid fanbase and it's story is so simple and universal almost anyone can watch it.

It does not really have an intense fanbase like most films lately like knives out which to the wider public is not anywhere as appealing as avatar or something..

However Knives out has a very large following but it's not anywhere near as universally appealing like a film like a avatar.

This is what Twitter film buff people don't get.

Which makes me laugh hard is the comparisson with Glass Onion because the movie is literally on Netflix, they just need a screenshot to make memes about it 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Just 51 M for Friday overseas? Thursday was $47.9 M. Why the low increase? Is it because weekdays also behave like weekends?

Also, if that $180 M happens, that means this will increase from the $176.6 M it made overseas last weekend. Not enough to end up with $1 billion overseas by Sunday, but that's still huge. Insane numbers.

Finally, Germany is catching up with South Korea.

Mainly, yes. 

And SAT - SUN is usually stronger overseas than FRI by a considerable margin for pretty much all movies iirc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Using this logic

Revenge of the sith is the most popular film of all time

Based on memes per film

Lol

And Morbius is THE movie of 2022 

(Which i agreed because that's the movie that tricky a studio into believing memes alone would put butts in the seats and they re-release the damn thing)

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, M37 said:

Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, but 3 times is a trend. On that note, I do think the RO comp is becoming less useful, but at least through this current week is still probably the best baseline we have

FjzVUJ7.png

That Avatwo broke away from RO is not at all surprising - I think most people expected it would leg out better at some point

That it pulled >20% ahead is also not shocking - was always in the realm of possibility given the frontloaded nature of Star Wars compared to Avatar

But that it did it so suddenly and sharply - going from Mon even, Tue +7%, Wed +14%, Thu +20% to Fri +32% is a little more difficult to wrap one's head around (but certainly worth celebrating if you're rooting for higher numbers)

And before the "but Cameron!" "but legs!" folks come at me, there is a beat, a pattern to how  legs or a second wave develops - including for the first Avatar and TGM - and this is not what it typically looks like. I don't know if its holiday or storm impacted, or maybe something with RO that isn't obvious, but going to need a few more days of data to establish a new baseline on which to project forward

Yeah the way this went from trailing/matching RO most of the time (even on monday!) to suddenly gaining so big on it is...interesting, but certainly welcome. Will make the run a lot more fun domestically for sure.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Well the only December movie which was not a part of a frontloaded franchise that did at least $60m in its second weekend was Avatar so there isn't a large sample size. 

Though Jumanji increased from $36m to $50m in its NYE weekend and likely sold more tickets than Avatar will, so there's precedent for that.

Sure, Jumanji had an incredible increase. From a much smaller weekend, though. But let's use Jumanji - it made another 210m from it's NY weekend, from a sizeably smaller weekend. Sounds pretty good to me for Avatar as well.

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m feeling more and more positive that 2023 is going to be a straight up banger of a year WW at the box office. 

The line-up of event movies throughout the year gives me confidence momentum can be sustained throughout. 

Agreed, what worries me is the mid budget movies still struggling 

In long term, relying solely on IP's and sequels is trouble. 

Really hoping next year have more love for original movies.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

We need people to start going outside again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1