keysersoze123

Weekdays Thread (1/9-12)

44 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

First truly awful floppish number for Avatar both domestically and overseas. 

600+ is certain, but 700 is still far far away. 

errr..."floppish"? Don't use the f word unless it's "Avatar, f*ck yeah!"

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Love to see how PIB2 and teach Disney another lesson about animation on big screen. PIB2 is almost locked for Best animated feature at the Oscar and hope the extra buzz boost the run a bit here and there. 

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Love to see how PIB2 and teach Disney another lesson about animation on big screen. PIB2 is almost locked for Best animated feature at the Oscar and hope the extra buzz boost the run a bit here and there. 

Idk about Oscar's. GT Pinnochio may beat it there regrettably since that's more Oscar baity despite PiB being marginally better imo.

Ands thats why Avatar 2 beating Top Gun Maverick wasnt and isnt a "lock". Summer weekdays are just a damn nice advantage and Top Guns later legs were stunning, so even though Avatar 2 has grossed more in less time so far, it isnt a certainty that it will outgross Top Guns DOM total.

Otoh, like others have mentioned, this number is no reason to freakout. Non-holiday January weekdays are pretty low and Avatar has shown that it behaves like a family/weekend movie so unless the Friday and Sat jumps this coming weekend are unusually low, theres 0 reason to panic.

Puss in Boots number is astonishing. Like, what the hell? Im so happy for it, it deserves all the money and good holds. Dream scenario of another weekend above OW incoming?

Megan also with a very solid number for a horror film.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Ands thats why Avatar 2 beating Top Gun Maverick wasnt and isnt a "lock". Summer weekdays are just a damn nice advantage and Top Guns later legs were stunning, so even though Avatar 2 has grossed more in less time so far, it isnt a certainty that it will outgross Top Guns DOM total.

Otoh, like others have mentioned, this number is no reason to freakout. Non-holiday January weekdays are pretty low and Avatar has shown that it behaves like a family/weekend movie so unless the Friday and Sat jumps this coming weekend are unusually low, theres 0 reason to panic.

Puss in Boots number is astonishing. Like, what the hell? Im so happy for it, it deserves all the money and good holds. Dream scenario of another weekend above OW incoming?

Megan also with a very solid number for a horror film.

Makes me wish that Puss in Boots opened to greater fanfare, though I guess all's well that ends well. If not for the storm I suppose it actually would have, come to think of it.

5 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Makes me wish that Puss in Boots opened to greater fanfare, though I guess all's well that ends well. If not for the storm I suppose it actually would have, come to think of it.

I feel like the first trailer was released way too early. 9 months before release for a first trailer for a kids animated spinoff is too early. I know it's original release was September but I feel wom peaked with the first trailer and Universal had to replicate that all over again with the 3rd trailer and the early access screenings which I think they didn't accomplish to the same level.

I remember some gaming youtubers I follow talk about the first trailer on their socials. People you wouldn't imagine be into a film like this.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Idk about Oscar's. GT Pinnochio may beat it there regrettably since that's more Oscar baity despite PiB being marginally better imo.

I really really liked PiB but Pinocchio absolutely deserves it. I'd even have Turning Red in 2nd place. PiB in third.

49 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

It's locked for a nomination, at least. 

I'd go GDT's Pinocchio > Marcel the Shell > Puss in Boots, but I loved all three and they might all finish in my top 10 of 2022.

22 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I really really liked PiB but Pinocchio absolutely deserves it. I'd even have Turning Red in 2nd place. PiB in third.

Yeah. Turning Red and Pinocchio were excellent, though I’m just slightly more partial to Turning Red. If Puss is as great as either, I’d be impressed.

If I were to rank animations:

4.5/5

Turning Red

GDT Pinocchio

4/5

Marcel the Shell

Wendell and Wild

3.5/5

Beavis and Butthead do The Universe

The Sea Beast

Bad Guys

3/5

Minions: The Rise of Gru

2.5/5

Lightyear

League of Super Pets

2/5

Hotel 4

Strange World

I need to see Apollo 10 1/2, Puss and Inu-oh soon. I refuse to watch Luck because of Lasseter.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1