Noctis

The Last Of Us - universal acclaim!

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The opening scene to this was such a cool addition. The rest of the show was pretty good but I'd still prefer playing the game to watching this. Mainly excited about getting my friends (who have never played the game) to watch this. My only qualm is that the game looks more cinematic than this. And NO SPORES

I do agree it gives the whole show premise a more grounded reality based one.

7 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I like the second game more than most, but the moment I thought was the ending turning out to be the halfway point did not elicit the enthused reaction I suspect the makers were going for. It is one long-ass game. 

I think the 2nd game is a technical achievment. However it is very tedious, emotionally dragging storyline. 

The storyline didnt end the best I think or should have left the moral choice to the user at th end.

cause i wonder if the show will be greatly loved at first but if it covers the 2nd game, the show will get a backlash as people dont like the storyline as much.

Edited by Torontofan

I was sceptical of this being extremely faithful and maybe pointless for fans of the game, but it's better than I hoped. I prob can recite the entire game from memory, so the expansive stuff is really what's selling it to me. Anna Torv for example makes Tess pop more than she did in the game just with a few moments of extra stuff. Otherwise it was a pretty good, the characters and setting are already well established, so here we go.

I also don't get the bit so many people do about the spores getting retconed. Like it's fine, it's a TV show, you gotta watch peoples faces when they act. Game lore is not the holy bible, you can bend it. Don't be like Star Wars fans.

10 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The 2nd game was such a wild experience. Probably one of the most heartbreaking stories I've seen on any medium. I feel like there's an epic quality to it that I simply can't see be translated to something with the style of this show.

The way Part 2 plays with the way you feel about a particular character, from hatred to understanding fully why they did what they did, is masterful. It’s such a shame that some of the more toxic “fans” couldn’t get past the inciting incident, because it’s a fantastic game and one of the best stories I’ve ever seen in any entertainment medium. 

Re-playing TLOU 1 and going straight into TLOU2, back to back, in summer 2020 was a hell of a ride.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

I was sceptical of this being extremely faithful and maybe pointless for fans of the game, but it's better than I hoped. I prob can recite the entire game from memory, so the expansive stuff is really what's selling it to me. Anna Torv for example makes Tess pop more than she did in the game just with a few moments of extra stuff. Otherwise it was a pretty good, the characters and setting are already well established, so here we go.

I also don't get the bit so many people do about the spores getting retconed. Like it's fine, it's a TV show, you gotta watch peoples faces when they act. Game lore is not the holy bible, you can bend it. Don't be like Star Wars fans.

Yeah same. I'm so familiar with the game and the show is playing it so closely, right down from everything from the font to the music, but I'm enjoying watching it adapted at such a high level. Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey are great casting. I've seen people criticizing Ramsey's performance and saying she's annoying, but I think she captures Ellie's spirit really well. She's a combative punk kid when you meet her in the game too. I love Mindhunter so it's nice seeing Anna Torv get some work (had to look her up to remember where I recognized her from though tbh).

I feel like they're spending a little too much effort trying to explain and justify how the cordyceps work. Could've done without the opening scene, felt a bit out of place. The noodle mouth thing... idk, I don't hate it, but zombies biting people to turn them has worked forever, feels like they're trying reinvent the wheel.

It's fun to see how the story diverges slightly and wouldn't mind seeing more of that. One thing I thought of is Pedro Pascal and the guy playing his brother don't exactly look like "Miller"s to be perfectly honest, people already are gonna complain about the race-swapping thing, so why not change the last name? Not saying a Hispanic guy can't have the last name Miller... but I've never met one lol.

Also the intro feels very Game of Thrones-y. I know TLOU theme is nearly 10 years old at this point but even in this context it feels similar to the Game of Thrones theme song

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

The way Part 2 plays with the way you feel about a particular character, from hatred to understanding fully why they did what they did, is masterful. It’s such a shame that some of the more toxic “fans” couldn’t get past the inciting incident, because it’s a fantastic game and one of the best stories I’ve ever seen in any entertainment medium. 

Re-playing TLOU 1 and going straight into TLOU2, back to back, in summer 2020 was a hell of a ride.

I feel like the online reception to TLOU2 has softened considerably. Once all that toxic bullshit had some time to settle people started realizing what a great fucking game it is

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I like the second game more than most, but the moment I thought was the ending turning out to be the halfway point did not elicit the enthused reaction I suspect the makers were going for. It is one long-ass game. 

Probably would have felt this way more if not for the fact that the 2nd half is kinda awesome 😅 Has a lot of my favorite parts of the game (though admittedly day 1 of the 2nd half is a bit of a slog). The hospital and Island sections are full of some incredibly thrilling stuff.

Fascinated by how they try to structure the 2nd game for TV. 

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

Probably would have felt this way more if not for the fact that the 2nd half is kinda awesome 😅 Has a lot of my favorite parts of the game (though admittedly day 1 of the 2nd half is a bit of a slog). The hospital and Island sections are full of some incredibly thrilling stuff.

Fascinated by how they try to structure the 2nd game for TV. 

Yuuup, Abby Day 2 & 3 are the best sections of the game. I'm pretty sure I had a "wait seriously?" reaction when I realized what was happening at that point, but the game wins you over very quickly.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 1:30 PM, MOVIEGUY said:

I feel like the online reception to TLOU2 has softened considerably. Once all that toxic bullshit had some time to settle people started realizing what a great fucking game it is

No one can deny its a technical masterpiece

but be honest (spoiler for Last of us 2)

Spoiler

you literally kill 100s of people to get revenge at abby and then she has a come to jesus moment about her morality at the end.

I think it made a game that was a wild ride and great to play sort of leave on a downer.

The game to me just felt really emotionally draining.

However i feel such a storyline may translate better on tv vs a video game.

Edited by Torontofan

9 hours ago, Torontofan said:

No one can deny its a technical masterpiece

but be honest (spoiler for Last of us 2)

Hide contents

you literally kill 100s of people to get revenge at abby and then she has a come to jesus moment about her morality at the end.

I think it made a game that was a wild ride and great to play sort of leave on a downer.

The game to me just felt really emotionally draining.

However i feel such a storyline may translate better on tv vs a video game.

To be honest I never really bumped into that while playing it because, well, it’s a videogame. It’s like how Nathan Drake is quipping his way through jokey exchanges with Sully while murdering thousands of bad guys, you just kind of go with it because it’s a game. I get that it sort of undercuts something that has the more serious tone of TLOU though, and I agree that it’ll probably work better in the show.

I think the emotionally draining aspect of Part 2 is what really makes it work for me though, I’ve genuinely never experienced anything like that in a videogame before, for better or worse, it felt like an unforgettable ordeal. Not something that’s easy to pick up and play after a hard day at work, admittedly. My partner still hasn’t got past THAT part because she doesn’t want to feel depressed after work 😂

Holy crap. That was an incredible first episode. It’s been a while that a show has surprised me in this way.

As someone who is not at all familiar with the game, I was really impressed. A balance of all great things: an exceptionally effective hook; excellent cinematography; horror and human stakes; and a setup that feels like it will beget both emotional weight and intrigue through the season.

Looking forward to the episodes ahead.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Eric Slay said:

God the Shrek memes stopped being funny like 3 years ago

Very good second episode. I liked the way the cordyceps alert the infected, the hive thing was a very cool change from the games. Hyped for the next episode, it's supposed to be the best one so far. Nick Offerman as Bill is brilliant casting. 

I would say Tess' big scene is probably not as well done as the game but one addition I was really in favor of, the Jakarta sequence. Very ominous and sobering.

Druckmann going to the school of Paul Greengrass for directing

Edited by MrPink