Noctis

The Last Of Us - universal acclaim!

Also, a reveal in this episode is pretty wild to think about looking back to episode 1 (spoilers below; do not read if you do not want to be spoiled):

Spoiler

When Ellie asks Joel about how everything started, how the cordyceps spread so fast, etc - Joel answers that it mutated and probably got into the food supply, adding: "Probably a basic ingredient like flour or sugar. There were certain brands of food that were sold everywhere, all across the country, across the world. Bread, cereal...pancake mix. You eat enough of it, it'll get you infected."

This means Joel very narrowly dodged infection multiple times when it all started:

"But the most interesting part of all this is... [that] it seems Joel and Sarah, and to a lesser extent Tommy, narrowly dodged infection four times on that fateful day: once when Joel and Sarah decided not to make pancakes that morning, soon after when the pair declined their neighbors' invite to eat some biscuits with them on their way to work and school, later when Sarah took home a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies from her neighbors' house but never ended up eating them, and last of all when Joel forgot to pick up his own birthday cake after a long work day."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-episode-3-confirms-a-popular-fan-theory-with-a-twist/1100-6510951/

🤯

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Superb episode. Each one continues to surprise me. The intros give us more context about the world and what happened, which is really well done, too.

Also, to this episode: :whosad:

Peace,

Mike

Was there an intro in this one? I saw it but don't remember it having one

7 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Was there an intro in this one? I saw it but don't remember it having one

You're totally right - it wasn't a defined intro like the first two. I should I have said:

Spoiler

the initial flashback to Bill's community as Joel/Ellie happen upon the mass grave - which shows the evacuation process, etc. It's not a real intro, like the other episodes, but does continue to provide context for how things started out/unfolded.

Peace,

Mike

So last year my dad was diagnosed with cancer. At the time, we figured with chemo he would at least be able to extend his life and with a bone marrow transplant at least give him enough time to live out the rest of his life that he wanted to. Unfortunately, he didn't survive past 6 months. And during that time, especially in the last month I saw my dad sort of transform into a shell of his former self. 

Spoiler

I think what hit me so incredibly hard emotionally this episode is seeing Frank (and Bill) go out on their own terms. It wasn't a sad ending at all. And there's something to be said about that vs a slow decline and the emotional pain my mom has to endure going on without my dad, let alone myself and my brothers

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1
  • Heart 2
  • Sad 12

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

So last year my dad was diagnosed with cancer. At the time, we figured with chemo he would at least be able to extend his life and with a bone marrow transplant at least give him enough time to live out the rest of his life that he wanted to. Unfortunately, he didn't survive past 6 months. And during that time, especially in the last month I saw my dad sort of transform into a shell of his former self. 

I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t know your experience, but I feel this so deeply.

Spoiler

I lost my dad a few years ago, who deteriorated significantly over the course of a year, and eventually decided he couldn’t live the kind of “life” he was living anymore.

His state of deterioration was so hard, and losing him was so hard, for my mum and brothers, too.

It’s important that people be able to go on their own terms, and end their life with dignity. You’re right that it’s not a sad ending.

I know we don’t know each other, but thinking of you right now.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Thanks 1

This didn't really wreck me, but Nick Offerman gives such a beautiful, vulnerable performance here. Was a little bit disappointed by how different this is from the part of the game they were adapting (the school sequence in the game was so cool) but did end up loving the vibes in this episode.

Oh man, they played On The Nature of Daylight. I fucking love that track.

I don't really remember much of the game, which I wasn't a huge fan of, so I don't really remember what this episode replaced, but safe to say I probably liked this rendition better lol.

Edited by JustLurking