Noctis

The Last Of Us - universal acclaim!

12 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

This didn't really wreck me, but Nick Offerman gives such a beautiful, vulnerable performance here. Was a little bit disappointed by how different this is from the part of the game they were adapting (the school sequence in the game was so cool) but did end up loving the vibes in this episode.

It didn’t hit me quite as hard as I was expecting based on the pre-release hype, but the “last day” part where Frank explains his decision to Bill did eventually get me. Nick Offerman’s face broke me, he’ll easily be taking all of the guest star awards.

Its a shame to lose the school part from the game, but I feel this was a better way to go for the TV version, it’d have been a bit of a re-run of last week if they’d just thrown more clickers at them so soon, plus the other thing that’s in the gym will presumably be saved for a later episode.

TLOU Part 2 spoilers:

Spoiler

I’m loving the subtle weaving in of Ellie’s fascination with space, they’re totally going to do the science museum scene in season 2 or 3 and it’ll absolutely destroy people when they see Joel again.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1

It was very good but I think the pre-release hype for this one was a bit much. I think it's on par with the other 2 eps which were also pretty great but it wasn't some giant leap imo. Maybe the hype was so big because it was the more radical diversion from the game which was the best thing about it. Those diversions is what will make this show its own thing.

• Like 2

Episode three is turning into my new version of the Last Jedi. Whether people liked it is a test of their entire taste. 

One of the better episodes of television I've seen ever - and I thought the first two episodes were well-done but a little rote outside the cold opens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never played the game and never even heard of THE LAST OF US before the trailers came out for this so I'm approaching this show as a normie not coming into this with any pre-concieved notions or expectations.  So far I'd say the first two episodes were just about above average post-apocalyptic zombie fare(not particularly better than early Walking Dead) before jarringly veering off dramatically in tone and pace with a sad love story in episode 3.

Tbh I was bored out of my skull for most of it.  There is an urge not to go too hard on it because of the amusing gay panic from homophobes on twitter, but I don't get why we needed to slam on the brakes and have this hour long flash back montage of a sad love story between these 2 dudes who are now DEAD.  So what was the point? It would be a lot different if say Bill was joining the cast and his tragic backstory haunted him for days/months to come—something to build off of in later episodes.  But nope, he was a paranoid survivalist, brought in a stranger, they had a miraculous relationship with very little conflict besides one of them getting sick, and then they died.  I may be in the minority on this but I thought this was a terrible episode for my post-apocalyptic action/horror zombie show.

Edited by Ozymandias

Never played the games but watched 6 hour cutscene film of part 1.

Enjoyed all the episodes equally 

8.8-9/10 for all 

Episode 1 pre outbreak was amazing,post outbreak was good but not as the first segment 

Episode 2 was evenly great and tense but Tess ending in the game was better for me

Episode was also good and emotional but feel like 15 -20mins should have been trimmed off to make it a little better Bill's letter and the ending with Joel and Eli in the car best  moments of the episode for me 

Yeah if you want to deviate from source material this is best way to do it. Craig mazin is the best thing  that could have happened to this show . He understands the game and even the changes feel story driven and not ego driven like some pretentious writers who are ruining adaptations for the most trivial reasons 

Show has been pretty faithful to the game and the changes made have improved aspects of the story 

Yeah love the cold opens.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Episode three is turning into my new version of the Last Jedi. Whether people liked it is a test of their entire taste. 

One of the better episodes of television I've seen ever - and I thought the first two episodes were well-done but a little rote outside the cold opens. 

nvm

Edited by Liiviig 1998

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/the-last-of-us-tv-ratings-episode-3-1235313243/

The third episode of HBO's The Last of Us delivered another week of ratings growth.

Sunday's installment brought in 6.4 million cross-platform viewers, up from 5.7 million the previous week and 4.7 million for its Jan. 15 premiere. The uptick on Sunday came despite the episode debuting at the same time as the hugely watched AFC Championship game on CBS.

HBO also says that four of its current series, including The Last of Us, have averaged more than 15 million viewers for their most recent seasons.

11 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I've never played the game and never even heard of THE LAST OF US before the trailers came out for this so I'm approaching this show as a normie not coming into this with any pre-concieved notions or expectations.  So far I'd say the first two episodes were just about above average post-apocalyptic zombie fare(not particularly better than early Walking Dead) before jarringly veering off dramatically in tone and pace with a sad love story in episode 3.

Tbh I was bored out of my skull for most of it.  There is an urge not to go too hard on it because of the amusing gay panic from homophobes on twitter, but I don't get why we needed to slam on the brakes and have this hour long flash back montage of a sad love story between these 2 dudes who are now DEAD.  So what was the point? It would be a lot different if say Bill was joining the cast and his tragic backstory haunted him for days/months to come—something to build off of in later episodes.  But nope, he was a paranoid survivalist, brought in a stranger, they had a miraculous relationship with very little conflict besides one of them getting sick, and then they died.  I may be in the minority on this but I thought this was a terrible episode for my post-apocalyptic action/horror zombie show.

The point is the point. As in, what's the point of anything in an apocalyptic scenario. The episode is pretty clear about what anybody even struggles for survival for when the world is in a terrible state and finding purpose. Human connection, taste of strawberries (I don't mean literally, just that the small moments matter), protecting others, etc. 

Consequently his relationship with Frank presumably will serve as an interesting contrast for Joel and Ellie and the choices they make, let alone how their relationship has already directly impacted Joel's decision to go further here. 

To be clear, this section is much different in the game, so I'm not really hinting at anything other than Joel and Ellie's dynamic is going to obviously change. If it didn't work for you, it didn't but my two cents.(Also personally think the hype was a bit overblown, but it was still a very welcome episode).

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 5

It was a good bottle episode - if a really odd time to have one - and it was nice to finally escape game comparisons (because boy-howdy does it play out differently there) but I hope they go easy on the flashbacks from now on. The ghost of Lost is starting to breath down its neck. 

I still don’t feel as invested in the Joel-Ellie relationship as I should be. It’s the foundation of this whole thing and, 3 eps in, it’s just not taken off yet. 

Edited by Hatebox

21 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

It was a good bottle episode - if a really odd time to have one - and it was nice to finally escape game comparisons (because boy-howdy does it play out differently there) but I hope they go easy on the flashbacks from now on. The ghost of Lost is starting to breath down its neck. 

I still don’t feel as invested in the Joel-Ellie relationship as I should be. It’s the foundation of this whole thing and, 3 eps in, it’s just not taken off yet. 

To be fair, the Joel/Ellie relationship hadn’t really taken off by this stage of the game either. Joel was still being gruff and dismissive when they got to Bill. You can see Pedro’s Joel softening slightly though, like with the wry smirk when Ellie told him he needed a shower.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

And that is not what The Last Of Us is at all. It's entirely about the human relationships in a world ravaged by death and destruction. 

• Like 1

one of the themes of the show so far has been mankind's inability to grapple with things that are truly uncontrollable. they try to build vaccines which fail, the cold opens for the first two episodes involve people either downplaying the virus or coming up with extremes such as bombing a whole city to contain the spread. i think that's why this episode worked so well within the show - that it's not raiders or clickers or bill's gun's-blazing attitude that ends the relationship, it's a degenerative disease. frank coming to terms with not having control, and choosing to go out on his own terms, felt like a perfect microcosm to explore that theme. i think the genius of having bill not just accept frank's decision, but to support it as it's his choice, is that it's going to 

Spoiler

make joel's decision in the finale seem even more selfish. assuming mazin sticks the landing on the ellie/joel relationship, the finale is going to be even more of a gut-punch

also, frank reading that letter was probably the hardest i cried watching something since the leftovers finale?

Edited by TMP
  • Like 1

The beautiful thing about the third episode, too, is that it’s not just a bottle episode. It certainly stands on its own - but we also see through Bill and Frank what a life worth living can look like when the world goes to shit. Life without love and human connection is not living, it is merely surviving.

And the episode seamlessly connects this, thematically and emotionally, to Joel and the main arc of the show. He has spent 20 years merely surviving - emotionally distancing himself from others after his daughter’s death. He couldn’t even bring himself to name his relationship with Tess when talking with Bill at the dinner table outside (“If my, uh… if mine…”). He has been resisting any kind of connection to Ellie, though we are starting to see that change in subtle ways. Joel has now committed to bringing Ellie along with him, a choice that we will likely see transform both Joel and Ellie (and their relationship) in the season(s) ahead.

It remains to be seen if the show will drop the ball, but so far, terrific stuff. (Also, I'm glad I'm so disconnected from social media. I was not aware of all of the hype around this episode - I had no idea what to expect, and it was a beautiful surprise.)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 4

Also, upon second viewing, can we talk about the fantastic production design and art direction? The compound is incredible.

And go back and look at how the house changes over the years - e.g. the dinner scene when Frank first arrives to the dinner scene at the end. The art we see throughout the episode. Etc. These are the kinds of details that resonate.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

To be fair, the Joel/Ellie relationship hadn’t really taken off by this stage of the game either. Joel was still being gruff and dismissive when they got to Bill. You can see Pedro’s Joel softening slightly though, like with the wry smirk when Ellie told him he needed a shower.

That's the problem though - he's already civil and borderline nice to her in this iteration. In the game their dynamic, his gruffness and all, captured me immediately. Here it just hasn't... yet.

Edited by Hatebox

The cinematography in this episode was gorgeous. My favorite visuals were Bill and Frank in the small strawberry field (the use of sunlight was beautiful) and the final shot of the episode. 

Hauntingly beautiful. 

I cannot wait to see the stories of Lev and Yara fleshed out in Last of Us 2. Enormous potential there.

• Like 1