Shawn Robbins

MLK Weekend Thread (1/13-16) | 3-day/4-day Estimates: Avatar 32.4M/40.6M, M3GAN 18.26M/21.72M, Puss 14.39M/19.04M, Otto 12.8M/15.33M, Plane 10M/12.03M, House Party 4M/4.73M

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

That's the latest estimate we have. Knowing Disney's tendencies the actual number might be closer to $9M for Monday. Friday and Saturday can go up as well.

It would be great if the number is closer to 575M!

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am done tracking A2 but my instinct is it will drop from estimates yesterday. After all there are many states who dont give day off for MLK plus its a normal work day at Canada. 

Do you mean for Monday? I thought MLK was made a federal holiday recently so schools don't have the option to be in session.

Edited by Jiffy

34 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am done tracking A2 but my instinct is it will drop from estimates yesterday. After all there are many states who dont give day off for MLK plus its a normal work day at Canada. 

MLK day is a federal holiday not a state specific holiday. All 50 states observe it.

The last state to resist observance was in the early 2000s. It’s a day off in all states.

Avatar could be down from estimates (which is unfortunate) but it won’t be because any state didn’t have the day off.
Canada flopped on Monday? Sounds right! 

13 minutes ago, todos said:

MLK day is a federal holiday not a state specific holiday. All 50 states observe it.

The last state to resist observance was in the early 2000s. It’s a day off in all states.

Avatar could be down from estimates (which is unfortunate) but it won’t be because any state didn’t have the day off.
Canada flopped on Monday? Sounds right! 

States may all give the day off, but not everyone got to stay home. Some companies consider MLK Day/ President’s Day/ Veterans Day, etc. to be “floating holidays” and you only get one or two off and you have to chose which one(s). 

" As someone who worked on Mission:Impossible movies and have friends who worked on TG:Maverick, I'm fuckin' FURIOUS!!!. This is always been the case on every TC movie but this is now on a different level. Outright banning VFX studios on advertising their work on the film? What the actual F***?

We worked our asses off to deliver a seamless, near perfect CG for these movies only to be swept under the rug and being denied of existence online and in press cause GOD FORBID everyday Joe realise that Mr Cruise didn't actually do ALL of those stunts. And I would bet all my money this all comes from him. One phone call and VFX is a banned term. It's just a massive egotrip.

I watched countless plates of TC on all fours shaking his head so compers can use that for head replacement with stunt riders, I've seen those crazy truck rigs that end in a hydraulicly controlled BMW motorbike so he can claim that he rode that in those corners up in the mountains without wearing a helmet. I've witnessed those dailies sessions (and had my jaw dropped on the floor) of PIXEL PERFECT digi doubles of Tom Cruise. And of course those digi doubles had their fair share of screen time. I'm so fucking fed up with this bullshit treatment.

By the way Top Gun Maverick was such a disappointment. It was just a massive TC egotrip. “He’s the fastest fighter alive.” yuck..... The only thing worth mentioning was exactly the VFX. The explosions, the dogfights, those seamless, gorgeous comps, everything was spot on. It was so well done, pretty much nothing caught my eye for the first viewing and I'm in this industry for over two decades now...

We really need our ME TOO movement for VFX otherwise one day we're not even gonna be on 
the credits anymore."

I told you from the very first day to my friends and relatives that this all Tom Cruise doing all these stunts and real on camera shooting is bullshit. But after the Oscar VFX bake off night, the naked truth is out for everyone to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 3

38 minutes ago, TRISTAN said:

" As someone who worked on Mission:Impossible movies and have friends who worked on TG:Maverick, I'm fuckin' FURIOUS!!!. This is always been the case on every TC movie but this is now on a different level. Outright banning VFX studios on advertising their work on the film? What the actual F***?

We worked our asses off to deliver a seamless, near perfect CG for these movies only to be swept under the rug and being denied of existence online and in press cause GOD FORBID everyday Joe realise that Mr Cruise didn't actually do ALL of those stunts. And I would bet all my money this all comes from him. One phone call and VFX is a banned term. It's just a massive egotrip.

I watched countless plates of TC on all fours shaking his head so compers can use that for head replacement with stunt riders, I've seen those crazy truck rigs that end in a hydraulicly controlled BMW motorbike so he can claim that he rode that in those corners up in the mountains without wearing a helmet. I've witnessed those dailies sessions (and had my jaw dropped on the floor) of PIXEL PERFECT digi doubles of Tom Cruise. And of course those digi doubles had their fair share of screen time. I'm so fucking fed up with this bullshit treatment.

By the way Top Gun Maverick was such a disappointment. It was just a massive TC egotrip. “He’s the fastest fighter alive.” yuck..... The only thing worth mentioning was exactly the VFX. The explosions, the dogfights, those seamless, gorgeous comps, everything was spot on. It was so well done, pretty much nothing caught my eye for the first viewing and I'm in this industry for over two decades now...

We really need our ME TOO movement for VFX otherwise one day we're not even gonna be on 
the credits anymore."

I told you from the very first day to my friends and relatives that this all Tom Cruise doing all these stunts and real on camera shooting is bullshit. But after the Oscar VFX bake off night, the naked truth is out for everyone to see.

Not sure, why you're spamming this in multiple threads, on top with out a source or link.

• Like 1

My company doesn't give a day-off on MLK day... Presidents Day is also not a holiday for us. We only have 7 holidays - Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's day. Used to be only 6...started having Juneteenth as holiday starting from 2021.

10 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Rogue one dropped only 25% on mlk day, if anything 29% was a steep drop to estimate 

The latest domestic total show the running total at $571.6m, meaning Monday estimate was actually overestimated by at least 800k.