filmlover

95th Academy Awards nominations thread

19 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The Oscar bait I'm most excited for next year is Jeff Nichols' The Bikeriders, because it promises us Tom Hardy and Austin Butler in a motorcycle gang, which could be leading to some of the most hysterical and mindblowing accent work ever.

I think that's the December 1st 2023 movie Disney dated a couple days back.

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

A2 is locked to win best VFX and TG2 will likely go home with Best editing.

I wouldn't be shocked if EEAAO sweeps and takes home editing too. TGM really should have had cinematography but for some reason got screenplay instead where it has no shot.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

The biggest surprise is that TGM missing Best Cinematography. It is like A2 missing best VFX for me. 

RRR largely MIA meaning the temperature among industry personnel isn't as hot as the campaign hype. Massive overperform for Triangle of Sadness. 

All Quiet at the western front is like dune for me, missing director nom but got nominated almost everywhere else. 

This is 6 years in a row when Oscar nominate two actor or actress from the same movie in supporting actor or actress role. 

1 hour ago, Eric Slay said:

1. Banshees

2. Top Gun

3. Tar

4. Everything Everywhere

5. The Fabelmans

6. Avatar

7. Elvis

Haven't seen the other three yet, though I think the only one I see being worse than Elvis is Triangle of Sadness. We'll see when I see it of course.

Triangle of Sadness isn’t as artsy and off putting as people might expect. It’s genuinely hilarious in places, there’s one section that had me cackling. I don’t know where I’d rank it out of the BP nominees personally, but it’s easily better than Elvis.

55 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Im afraid of All Quiet on the Western Front winning anything. People outside Germany could come to the bafflingly wrong conclusion that we germans can actually make good movies. While All Quiet is indeed a very good movie, it is in no way a true representation of german film culture. Understand please, that we SUCK at making movies despite All Quiet.

That is wrong on many levels. I'm sure there are lot of trash being made, but I saw plenty of great German films recently. TRANSIT and DON'T LOOK AWAY are masterpieces, UNDINE is terrific. I'M YOUR MAN was hilarious. Also good films were BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ (2020), GREAT FREEDOM (2021, maybe it's Austrian).

So at the end of the day, Woman King ended up properly rated: a really good action movie with Viola Davis being her typical great self...but obviously playing a strong supporting role instead of the lead. It made a decent amount of money and got a decent amount of awards love without ending up as one of the defining movies of the year like Sony was pushing it as. While it's snubbed by oscars totality of awards season places it more in the 10-20 range of films which just seems accurate?

It seems like Avatar/Top Gun and to some degree EEEAAO crowded out both Woman King and RRR for genre awards consideration (and relegated Batman production quality to below consideration range)? does that make sense as an explanation? 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

TGM is more likely to come home empty handed than TWoW. I see no reason to think TWoW won’t win for visual effects. I’m still baffled that they’d nominate TGM for screenplay. Of all the things people praised the movie for, the script was fairly low on the list. 

It was a weak year for that category and the alternatives (The Whale, She Said) lacked passion. Sometimes being a Best Picture nominee is enough to propel a movie into more unlikely categories if the field is open.

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Im afraid of All Quiet on the Western Front winning anything. People outside Germany could come to the bafflingly wrong conclusion that we germans can actually make good movies. While All Quiet is indeed a very good movie, it is in no way a true representation of german film culture. Understand please, that we SUCK at making movies despite All Quiet.

come  on, it's not that bad :D  there were quite a few German movies I enjoyed through the last years!

• Like 1