Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates: Avatar 19.7, Puss 11.5, M3GAN 9.8, Missing 9.3, Otto 9

6 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Pray for mercy from...

puss-in-boots-carve.gif

That seems like a nasty drop for Megan. Friday the 13th must have inflated last weekend's gross.

It should still be around $9-10M for the weekend, which is pretty good considering its gross last weekend was somewhat inflated both by Friday the 13th and the long weekend. $100M+ total is looking to close to a lock even if Universal has to use double feature money from Knock at the Cabin and/or Cocaine Bear to get it there.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Will M3gan even reach 100m? Yeah it’s really profitable but considering the crazy amount of marketing it’s a little disappointing 

I dont think it would be disappointing. Before it came out, most people predicted its OW in the 20M range and lets not forget, January horror movies normally crash and burn with 60-70% drops in their 2nd weekends, so the fact that Megan still has a shot at reaching 100M is great imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Will M3gan even reach 100m? Yeah it’s really profitable but considering the crazy amount of marketing it’s a little disappointing 

It's gonna finish with a higher total than Scream '22 did by quite a bit. You better believe the studio is happy with these results (especially with a sequel already on the way).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Kinda low on PiB wouldn't you say? Replacing the popcorn day Thursday and using Fri/Wed bump, Puss is outpacing J:WTTJ (+224% vs +196%). Would think close to 12M for that. 

JWTJ (the comp I used) had a $4.85/$19.5 = 4x, which is exactly $11M. Can go higher, but I’m not sure it’s going to hit the +120% Sat of pure animated film 

6 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Wow, I'm legit stunned by the numbers for the Tom Hanks movie. Not that the raw numbers themselves are stunning, but an old man adult drama with mediocre reviews doing this well in 2023??????

audience scores are fantastic and tom hanks is catnip to boomer audiences

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

What a title for a film lol. Anyway with that true Friday PTA it’s a nonstarter and will likely be extremely frontloaded too. 

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I wouldn’t say anything about it is disappointing, especially as you also said “really profitable”. $100m from a $30.4m opening is a 3.3x multiplier, which is still quite rare for a horror film to achieve.

Remember the crazy amount of marketing was mostly viral and therefore: free. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What a title for a film lol. Anyway with that true Friday PTA it’s a nonstarter and will likely be extremely frontloaded too.

No surprise there for me. Slime - while quite a popular Isekai anime show - really isnt one of the heavy hitters like Demon Slayer or Jujutsu Kaisen.

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I wouldn’t say anything about it is disappointing, especially as you also said “really profitable”. $100m from a $30.4m opening is a 3.3x multiplier, which is still quite rare for a horror film to achieve.

Remember the crazy amount of marketing was mostly viral and therefore: free. 

All of the above. M3GAN should be an example for all of Hollywood (and especially smaller-budget films) how to use viral marketing trends for your advantage. Like you said, its free and its in this day and age maybe even more effective than classical marketing for certain demographics.

• Like 1