BadOlCatSylvester

Weekdays Thread (23rd to 26th of January 2023)

26 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Wow hats off to Pathaan, that's some real 👑stuff right there taking down avatar 2 - 2 days in a row

Here in the UK, Pathaan beat Avatar on Wednesday. But a live streaming of a theatre production beat them both yesterday. 

Billie Eilish looks to beat all of them today, so potentially 4 different number 1’s over the space of four days. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Infinity Pool is F cinemascore surely

Might be, based on what I read. It seems to be a tough watch for general audiences. However, would general audiences even care to watch a movie like this?

I watched the trailer and the whole concept looks weird imo. I don't know if the trailer can trick people into thinking this is gonna be a "thriller". Maybe Cronenberg fanbase ( he probably has one ) is the one rushing to see it, avoiding the F CinemaScore.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

6 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Damn, that's nearly flat from Wednesday for Avatar 2. This is a really good sign for the weekend, right?

It had an increase from Wednesday to Thursday last week as well and that lead to a lower weekend than many were forecasting. At the time, many were attributing it to national popcorn day. We’ll have to wait and see where this goes. 

10 minutes ago, corngrower87 said:

It had an increase from Wednesday to Thursday last week as well and that lead to a lower weekend than many were forecasting. At the time, many were attributing it to national popcorn day. We’ll have to wait and see where this goes. 

There's no special occasion to prop it up this time, so I'd argue the forecast for this weekend is looking a lot better.

52 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

There's no special occasion to prop it up this time, so I'd argue the forecast for this weekend is looking a lot better.

Unless people were shifting their viewings to Thursday instead of Sunday due to the playoff games… 🤷🏻‍♂️

And playing devil’s advocate, are we even sure national popcorn day even has an effect? The last time January 19th fell on a Thursday was 2017 and the box office actually fell that day, with the exception of Hidden Figures which had a slight 50k bump. The point of my original post is that something else probably lead to the boost since if the box office as a whole had a slight bump again. Nothing ever happens in a vacuum…

5 minutes ago, corngrower87 said:

Unless people were shifting their viewings to Thursday instead of Sunday due to the playoff games… 🤷🏻‍♂️

And playing devil’s advocate, are we even sure national popcorn day even has an effect? The last time January 19th fell on a Thursday was 2017 and the box office actually fell that day, with the exception of Hidden Figures which had a slight 50k bump. The point of my original post is that something else probably lead to the boost since if the box office as a whole had a slight bump again. Nothing ever happens in a vacuum…

Thursday's increases last week were too much of an outlier to just be typical noise and not the result of some outside factor. There wasn't a massive weather storm or news event that could have deflated Wednesday, so Popcorn Day discounts is the most logical explanation. In 2017, both Split and XXX had Thursday shows ($3.2M combined) which would lowered the expected Thursday for titles in release, making it difficult to directly compare with the ~$1M from last week's new entries

And frankly, not as many people may have cared as much about popcorn pricing and so discounts as much back then, with a larger audience pool but a higher share of non-concession buyers. Now a lot of those ticket-only folks are just staying home, and prices have gone way up: the large popcorn at my local is now something like $11

Variety on the worldwide figures….

Entering its seventh week of release, “The Way of Water” has a good shot at surpassing “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” on the all-time charts, as the next major box office smash, “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania,” doesn’t hit theaters until Feb. 17.”

a good shot? :hahaha:

• Haha 4
  • Disbelief 1

Otto +8% for Thursday, Missing +6%, even Whitney +1% despite likely losing some shows

Looks like we're going to see some really good holds this weekend, thanks in large part to the absence of new releases; and its a sign of a (getting) healthier market that holdovers get a 2nd/3rd/4th bite at the apple rather than people just finding something else to do

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

So is Puss going over 10M this weekend aswell?

Id be shocked if not. Wednesday hold was amazing and the movies for Thursday reported so far showed increases. I think Puss will be closer to 11M than 10M this weekend.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

So is Puss going over 10M this weekend aswell?

Should be fairly easily, better question is if it can get to $11M

• Like 1