GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

This is the first MCU movie I did not watch opening weekend, and still have not bought tickets for. I will probably still watch it some time this month since I have A-list, but honestly I'm so over the whole multiverse plotlines and I just don't care about time travel/variants any more. It was fun for one movie/show, but by this point it just feels convoluted and tedious. At this point I'm not even sure how/if they can pull off A5/A6 with these writers. 

• Like 1

Both Saturday and Sunday numbers are proportionately better than Saturday and Sunday for Multiverse of Madness. Some of that is due to the holiday weekend I guess but overall the outlook is still a lot better than I thought early on Friday. Based on the reviews and audience scores I figured Saturday would be practically flat from true Friday.

As others have said, the true indication will be Wednesday and onwards. Fully expecting a biiiig 2nd weekend drop and not great legs, but I'm just happy that it had a solid opening after all.

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Are we sure WOM for AMWQ is actually bad? Reviews certainly aren’t good, but nothing in daily numbers shows degradation, and audience score is still high (84%)

I think they went to see about Kang and that part is good and they mostly feel fufilled by that going forward. Might have to rethink a really bad multiplier. I think 2.2-2.3 on the 3 day is where it lands so around 250M.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Are we sure WOM for AMWQ is actually bad? Reviews certainly aren’t good, but nothing in daily numbers shows degradation, and audience score is still high (84%)

I think this is a problem with Cinemascore, they only track the first day, and while usually it´s enough i think in some cases it can mislead

Maybe the audiences where they track on the release day was more inclined to be influenced by the negative buzz surrounding the movie with those bad reviews etc and this have some impact on their perception, but not necessarily the more casual viewers that will watch it on it´s third day of release are engaged with the bad press to be influenced by it

I´m not saying audiences can´t decide for themselves what they think of a movie, but we know the fans especially from super heroes are very into RT-type discussions and they´re usually the ones who rush to see it on previews and release day

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

wouldnt call anything under rise of skywalker high

considering RT  score and 'B' CinemaScore rating, I was expecting it would be lot worse. 

Eternals: RT Score - 47%, Audience Score - 77%

DS2: RT Score - 74%, Audience Score - 85%

Thor L&T: RT Score - 64%, Audience Score - 77%

AM3: RT Score - 47%, Audience Score - 84%

I don't exactly remember how much these other Phase4 movies Audience score was during first Sunday, but atleast compared to their final audience scores, AM3 is doing much better than what I expected.

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 2

Yearly Domestic Box Office - 2023

Rank Film Distributor Release Date Wide OW Total Gross TG ÷ OW Widest LOC TG ÷ LOC
1 Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania Disney 2/17/2023 $104.000 M $118.000 M 1.135 4,345 $27,158
2 M3GAN Universal 1/6/2023 $30.430 M $93.656 M 3.078 3,628 $25,815
3 80 For Brady Paramount 2/3/2023 $12.702 M $32.898 M 2.590 3,939 $8,352
4 Plane Lionsgate 1/13/2023 $10.265 M $31.862 M 3.104 3,060 $10,412
5 Knock at the Cabin Universal 2/3/2023 $14.127 M $30.962 M 2.192 3,657 $8,467
6 Missing Sony / Screen Gems 1/20/2023 $9.155 M $29.968 M 3.273 3,025 $9,907
7 Magic Mike's Last Dance Warner Bros. 2/10/2023 $8.305 M $18.115 M 2.181 3,034 $5,971
8 Pathaan # Yash Raj Films 1/25/2023 $6.882 M $16.279 M 2.365 695 $23,423
9 Titanic (25 Year Anniversary) (re-issue) Paramount 2/10/2023 $6.715 M $12.843 M 1.913 2,464 $5,212
10 House Party Warner Bros. / New Line 1/13/2023 $3.986 M $8.954 M 2.246 1,400 $6,396
11 BTS: Yet to Come in Cinemas # Trafalgar Releasing 2/1/2023 $5.175 M $8.300 M 1.604 1,116 $7,437
12 The Chosen Season 3: Finale # Fathom Events / Angel Studios 2/2/2023 $3.624 M $5.525 M 1.525 1,979 $2,792
13 Infinity Pool NEON 1/27/2023 $2.514 M $5.042 M 2.006 1,979 $2,548

- Films that opened during the midweek are indicated with a #
- Films that opened in limited release before expanding to wide or moderate release are indicated with a ^
- Grosses from Thursday preview shows are included in opening weekend grosses (for Friday openers).

- For films that opened in limited release before expanding to wide release, listed opening weekend grosses are the first weekend of major wide release; except in instances where a film had a higher grossing weekend prior to expanding to major wide release. In those instances and in instances where a film never went into major wide release, the film's highest grossing weekend is typically counted as opening weekend.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, M37 said:

MoM seats at 85% and legs on that were well.

We shall see by tue/wed  number and also think we all don't know much the holiday is helping.

Thor 4 and DS2 didn't have that but thor 4 legs were cushioned by summer weekdays .

Like I said this movie is not as bad as Thor 4/eternals . Felt like mom . Basically a fun dumb terribly written forgettable movie.

Honestly didn't expect a B tbh but CS is polled on Thurs only.

But postrak for both Thurs and Fri were consistent and it colerates with the CS.

Also the hook of the next big bad could be at work here and it being a holiday weekend it's taking advantage.

@keysersoze123 was saying some schools would be off boosting weekday numbers ? Maybe he will clarify on that .

Will just see what the week brings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

I mean an 84 on RT is not high whatsoever, even Morbius sits at 71 and a B Cinemascore is not good, Ant-Man 3 is just a mini event film due to Kang coming on a holiday weekend and marvel is teflon on OW domesticall

True, wakanda Forever, NWH and Shang chi had scores in the mid to high 90s.

8 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

@keysersoze123 was saying some schools would be off boosting weekday numbers ? Maybe he will clarify on that .

Will just see what the week brings.

its off for both my kids and most schools here in bay area. probably at other places in california as well. They call it the Ski break :-) But its not across the board. So it wont be like summer days but slightly better than normal week days. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Marvel also thought they had few Oscars in the bag too.

Funny how it all turned out.

People hate on Eternals but it’s production quality blows away most of the films that came after it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Verrows said:

TLJ?

Beauty and the Beast?

Fate of the Furious?

Some one already told you but yeah MCU only lol. There were no billion dollar films before avengers so I started counting from 2013. It’s crazy that none of the films in 2017 did it though. It’s arguable that 2018 and 2019 were fluke years to have so many billion dollar films and the pandemic just corrected the MCU back into a better place for the rest of Hollywood’s box office prospects.

MCU used to only have one billion dollar film a year so now they’re just back to earth with their grosses.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Only learned now Eternals budget was 272.6m! That means it was a huge money loser 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinereid/2023/02/13/eternals-was-over-budget-says-marvel/?sh=4b60ee8f3685

This might be the reason why we are not hearing any concrete news on whether they are making an Eternals sequel or not; this might be the reason why Iman Vellani said that she wonders whether Marvel introduced Starfox in Eternals "for the sake of it." The Armor Wars movie has already replaced Eternals, I think.