Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/17-19 | Weekend Est. - Shazam II $30.5M, Scream VI $17.5M, Creed III $15.4M, LXV $5.8M, #AintMan $4.1M

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

Yeah, Shazam tanking kind of confirms that the DC brand is pretty weak among the GA. I guess The Rock still does have a significant box office pull 

Not nearly enough to be profitable at the asking price he was demanding for Black Adam, which kills his economic value to DC.

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I thought all along that the first movie benefited greatly from the very high RT score, which has always baffled me since it’s just such a “who cares?” movie. But I think people were curious about a new superhero property, saw that it got some of the best reviews ever in DCEU, and decided to check it out. And then went “oh, that was it?”

Said all along this sequel was doomed, and yeah DCEU being already announced as dead but they’re still rolling them out before the Gunn DCU takes hold isn’t going to remotely help any of these films. Then WB has Miller and Heard controversy to try to wade through with them as well, what a mess. 

THIS THIS THIS

I always thought people who weren't originally interested in Shazam saw the first one because of high critics praise and high RT score. The sequel was always doomed if it couldn't recapture the lightning 

The DC Captain Marvel received a B+ CinemaScore, to the first title’s A, and pulled in less of the 18-34 demographic than chapter one, 56% to 64%. Audience exits on the first Shazam! were harder than CinemaScore results at 79% positive, 59% definite recommend–the sequel saw similar results at 78% positive, 64% recommend here. Men over 25 were the biggest quad for Shazam! back in 2019 at 35% and and an 82% grade; part two saw a 40% share of guys over 25, with a lower grade of 77%. Rivals believe that the scores on the first Shazam! weren’t good enough to demand a sequel. Why did New Line make one? Because Shazam! netted a profit of $75M after all ancillaries off a $100M production cost and $105M global marketing spend.

Marketing costs for the sequel are on par to the first, if not less as the new Warner Bros Discovery is about promoting their IPs through their owned and operated TV and streaming tenacles. I’m told by those in the know that it will be pretty tough to get Shazam! Fury of the Gods in the black.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/shazam-fury-of-the-gods-box-office-bomb-1235303827/

Edited by GOGODanca

3 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Key line is 

Rivals believe that the scores on the first Shazam! weren’t good enough to demand a sequel. Why did New Line make one? 

it was cheap and WB made some money of ancillaries. But this property does not deserve a big budget theatrical release. better off making it a HBO Max series so that kids dont age too soon between movies. Or put this character as part of bigger movies. Now they just put the character away for a while for sure. 

Pretty rough first quarter to WB's 2023 between their first three releases of the year all being greeted with a shrug (even if two of them were originally HBO Max exclusives that ended up going theatrical) after a 2022 where they barely put out any movies (and only two of those six releases being certified hits) and a 2021 before that in which all of their movies that year became write-offs to boost HBO Max. The unsure state of DC seems especially troubling for them since 4 of their 13 scheduled releases from this year are from that brand (though they already at least seem to be trying more with The Flash).

Edited by filmlover

31 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Yeah, Shazam tanking kind of confirms that the DC brand is pretty weak among the GA. I guess The Rock still does have a significant box office pull 

I wouldn't say that.  The Batman just last year got close to $800M worldwide in 45 days.  Shazam 2 had a lot working against it but probably most of all is that it's one of the lame duck projects on their slate.  Don't expect much out of Aquaman 2 either.  The Flash could be a surprise hit because it has a lot to do with the actual reset.  It's not as much of a lame duck as the others.