Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/17-19 | Weekend Est. - Shazam II $30.5M, Scream VI $17.5M, Creed III $15.4M, LXV $5.8M, #AintMan $4.1M

4 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

I'd say it's relatively reasonable. By the time social media reactions surfaced, the Alpha comp had it at 22M compared to Wakanda Forever. That comp overindexed by about 8%, which would have made that 20.3M. Wakanda Forever then had great social media reactions and very good reviews, so it probably wouldn't have gained too much on that that. Let's give it 20.3M previews with a slightly bit better IM over the weekend (it wouldn't have made too much difference in terms of that the first weekend anyways) and we land right at about 125M.

Sure, if we're talking about Maverick or The Dark Knight level reception it could probably have made quite a bit more, but no Marvel film has ever had that kind of reception.

All that shows honestly was that 125M was the "average" if the movie was good. Not the "ceiling". 

• Like 1

Just now, Lion Roar said:

At least half a dozen MCU movies have had that level of reception. Most recently NWH. 

Not really true, though, is it? You could argue that the best recieved Marvel film(s) (Infinity War and Endgame) could rival Maverick, but amongt general audiences that doesn't hold true. The Dark Knight is on a different level alltogether.

20 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

All that shows honestly was that 125M was the "average" if the movie was good. Not the "ceiling". 

But Wakanda Forever wasn't recieved averagely, it was well received. No reason to see why it would have pulled away from that just because it had similar reception.

Edited by Dale Cooper

Just now, Dale Cooper said:

But Wakanda Forever wasn't recieved averagely, it was well recieved. No reason to see why it would have pulled away from that just because it had similar reception.

The ceiling was not 20M previews. Come on now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

The ceiling was not 20M previews. Come on now. 

I'm not saying the ceiling was that. I'm saying that there's no reason that it would mde up ground on the Wakanda Forever comp (when it was already losing ground compared to it) just because it was well received as WF also was well received. If we are talking about it getting reception ala Maverick it could absolutely have made it higher, but that is wishful thinking.

Edited by Dale Cooper

10 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

Not really true, though, is it? You could argue that the best recieved Marvel film(s) (Infinity War and Endgame) could rival Maverick, but amongt general audiences that doesn't hold true. The Dark Knight is on a different level alltogether.

NWH and Endgame both have A+ Cinemascores 

8 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

NWH and Endgame both have A+ Cinemascores 

Eh, movies get their Cinemascore on OD so it doesn't really mean they're well received outside of the fanbase. For example, Inception got a B+ Cinemascore, I'd be hard pressed to say that Inception hasn't been better or at least as good received as any Marvel film to date.

Edited by Dale Cooper
  • Like 1

I will say that I saw the first Shazam opening weekend, but I have no desire to see the sequel.

The ending of the first film greatly disappointed me.  Shazam is only slightly weaker than superman.  So six shazams together would be stronger than the justice league.  It's ridiculous.

Also, if shazam powers were something that can be shared, why stop at 6 people?  Why not give everyone the power?  Hell, once everyone can fly and generate electricity, that solves global warming (no need for cars/power plants).

I mean there is literally no stakes now because, if the shazams run into problems, they can just share the power with more people.

58 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

Eh, movies get their Cinemascore on OD so it doesn't really mean they're well received outside of the fanbase. For example, Inception got a B+ Cinemascore, I'd be hard pressed to say that Inception hasn't been better or at least as good received as any Marvel film to date.

A B+ for a movie like Inception is a very strong grade. You can´t compare the grade scale to cbm movie like Marvel to a movie like Inception.  CS scores needs to be looked at in relation to the genre and movie type. NWH, IW, Endgame, Black Panther and Avengers all got the responses on the level on Maverick or better. Hell I would even argue the first Guardians

1 hour ago, Dale Cooper said:

There’s a way to read CinemaScore which I don’t think you understand.

A B+ for an adult-skewing original sci-fi movie released during the summer blockbuster season is good.

A B+ for a kids cartoon, on the other hand, is a disaster.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Bale’s Batman got a much bigger focus in his own movies than Keaton. It is not even debatable. THE Nolan movies also are considered far higher quality movies compared to the Burton ones and the definite screen adaptations of Batman and like   I said the 18-34 crowd who are the main ones that power the grosses of superhero films for the most part don’t care. That doesn’t mean Keaton won’t have any effect at all but for the most part it will be negligible 

This is really fudging it and is just being straight up guilty of bias based on timing:

Batman 1989 was one of the biggest blockbusters of all time at the time of release. Only 4 other films released that year managed even half of it's box office and one of them - that it still blew out of the water - was a freaking Indiana Jones movie in its pomp. No movie released in 1988, 1987, 1986 got close and you have to delve backwards to Jedi in 1983 and forwards to Jurassic Park in 1993 to better it: In other words it has a DECADE CLEARANCE on either side in terms of its success. It's box office towers even over titans in that era like Top Gun, Roger Rabbit,  Beverly Hills Cop, Ghost, Ghostbusters, 2 Indy films and Back to the Future

Now even as the resident person who thinks The Dark Knight is overrated crap I'm not going to pretend it didn't have a massive zeitgeist hit and  that even though it may be baffling to me it is still VERY well thought of. But the two are equivalents...not one over the other. And the call of 'definitive Batman movie' is especially confusing when applied to Dark Knight given how flagrantly disinterested Nolan is in the Batman character in the second and third films.

Batman 1989 was only the second truly successful superhero movie property ever and was absolutely gargantuan as a box office and cultural presence. Don't dismiss it or its legacy.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

There’s a way to read CinemaScore which I don’t think you understand.

A B+ for an adult-skewing original sci-fi movie released during the summer blockbuster season is good.

A B+ for a kids cartoon, on the other hand, is a disaster.

Eh, I understand it well enough. Inception's CinemaScore is still a bit weird when you think about it. It's pretty much the single best received blockbuster of the 2010's, and it got a B+. Anyway, the point then is that it doesn't really matter, does it? What does A+ for NWH really mean, if anything less than A would have been bad?

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

Indeed. Keaton is the reason Flash was trending and he is the reason i might drag my ass to a theater near me to watch this even though i'm not that big on CBMs.

I mean i'm not a big comic book fan, dont give a crap about the Flash, and even i'm thinking of seeing the film because of Keatons Batman.

Also it always makes me chuckle a bit when people use their own viewpoint and try and suggest its also what the majority of movie goers think, with zero evidence to back it up.

Edited by stuart360
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

A B+ for a movie like Inception is a very strong grade. You can´t compare the grade scale to cbm movie like Marvel to a movie like Inception.  CS scores needs to be looked at in relation to the genre and movie type. NWH, IW, Endgame, Black Panther and Avengers all got the responses on the level on Maverick or better. Hell I would even argue the first Guardians

I know it is a strong grade. The point was to show that using A+ CS for Marvel movies doesn't really say all that much considering anything less than A would have been seen as pretty mediocre. Anyway, I absolutely do not agree that all those Marvel movies have gotten responses as strong as Maverick. You could argue that among Marvel core audience that those have as strong (and stronger) reception as what Maverick has across all audiences, but that's about as far as that goes I'd say.

Edited by Dale Cooper

12 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

Eh, I understand it well enough. Inception's CinemaScore is still a bit weird when you think about it. It's pretty much the single best received blockbuster of the 2010's, and it got a B+. Anyway, the point then is that it doesn't really matter, does it? What does A+ for NWH really mean, if anything less than A would have been bad?

I remember when that film came out, the idea that Inception was too confusing and too long was pretty common. The best received movie of that era would also probably be something more universal like Batman, or Toy Story 3.

12 minutes ago, AJG said:

I remember when that film came out, the idea that Inception was too confusing and too long was pretty common. The best received movie of that era would also probably be something more universal like Batman, or Toy Story 3.

About it being confusing, that was part of the usp more or less. It had incredible WOM and great legs from a big OW. It had/still have great audience scores across all relevant platforms (never left the top 20 on IMDb). I don't think any movie of its decade measures up to it, either at release or 10 years on.

Edited by Dale Cooper

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

The cast and crew have been on the defense for this movie over the weekend boy

Screenshot-20230318-232446-Instagram.jpg

Lmao they need to accept defeat. The movie just doesn't look worthy of the hassle of going to movie theaters in 2023. I am sure a lot of people will click on it once it reaches HBO Max.

DOM I don’t see any superhero fatigue.

OS is another story.

Flash will end up costing almost half a billion dollars marketing and distribution included and its a dead end for a universe that will officially start all over again with Superman Legacy. Movie needs to be crazy good to break even.