Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/17-19 | Weekend Est. - Shazam II $30.5M, Scream VI $17.5M, Creed III $15.4M, LXV $5.8M, #AintMan $4.1M

18 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Sandberg's next two movies will be for Netflix so no box office to worry about. Think his career will be fine, maybe like McG when he makes a Netflix movie every 12-15 months plus some pilots. That's a great life, let's be honest here.

If I were him, I'd join his buddy Wan over at his new Universal home. I'm sure Wan will be pleased to have the man who revitalized Annabelle on board again.

• Like 1

I'm skeptical the studio people care that much. It's easy to tell the movie's a financial failure and trying to "El Cid" it looks ridiculous to anyone outside LA. WB has basically already written the thing off via underpromotion. The only reason it still got released instead of Batgirl'd was probably some stipulation in Rock's EP contract.

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

That's not me who posted it. Not sure why so many people get a cowboy and Godzilla confused but me and @John Marston aren't the same. 

EDIT: Also I don't really 'want' him to do anything but it's just pretty known that going online and saying that kind of stuff tends to ruffle the feathers of studio heads. He could've easily just ignored it and not talked about the box office at all instead of implying he saw it flopping coming and that he was fine since he got paid upfront. 

We all saw the flop coming, so I’m pretty sure he did too and is allowed to comment on it. The Josh Trank comparison doesn’t work either, he was just a one hit wonder. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Last thing I’ll say on this but

1. Obviously I didn’t mean career wise I meant in regards to Trank tweeting about F4stic in a negative light on OW (albeit more directly hence why I said ‘might’ when comparing that and Sandberg’s Reddit comment)

2. I had no idea he had a Netflix deal which anyone could’ve said instead of hyperbolic stuff about me wanting Sandberg to fail and that I’m relishing in this or whatever.

Edited by Mulder

33 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

We all saw the flop coming, so I’m pretty sure he did too and is allowed to comment on it. The Josh Trank comparison doesn’t work either, he was just a one hit wonder. 

Exactly. Everyone here can tell this movie was short-changed in the marketing department. From all the release date hopping, to the underwhelming trailers, to the smaller scale campaign.

From everything I've read the movie just isn't all that good. It's not a technical disaster (like Fant4stic or Suicide Squad), it's a competently made film that just isn't that good (like WW84 and Eternals). I just cannot see a way where anybody would be penalised for this particular movie aside from the marketers (who I'm guessing were impacted by WB's current poverty problem)

Didn't Shazam get a superbowl ad? That can't have been cheap so I am not really buying the claims that WB wanted it buried. People just didn't care.

That said the film is still just a mediocre to bad flick that will be forgotten. It's not like he made a fucking F4 disaster here. He will move on and so will everyone else, his career will be fine.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Didn't Shazam get a superbowl ad? That can't have been cheap so I am not really buying the claims that WB wanted it buried. People just didn't care.

That said the film is still just a mediocre to bad flick that will be forgotten. It's not like he made a fucking F4 disaster here. He will move on and so will everyone else, his career will be fine.

Nope.

• Like 1

The reality is Warner gave up on this film. It's luke warm marketing effort tells you all you need to know here.

Look at films like Scream or Oppenheimer which have and are being marketed more heavily. Paramount has even turned up the marketing for Dungeons & Dragons.

I get that everyone sees Superhero and the expectations for box office are high. The marketing (or lack of) is the main culprit. 

Would be awesome if this still gets to $30 Million OW. Would mean four weekends in a row with a $30 Million+ OW. Potentially five if Dungeons & Dragons gets there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JayPrimetown said:

The reality is Warner gave up on this film. It's luke warm marketing effort tells you all you need to know here.

Look at films like Scream or Oppenheimer which have and are being marketed more heavily. Paramount has even turned up the marketing for Dungeons & Dragons.

I get that everyone sees Superhero and the expectations for box office are high. The marketing (or lack of) is the main culprit. 

Would be awesome if this still gets to $30 Million OW. Would mean four weekends in a row with a $30 Million+ OW. Potentially five if Dungeons & Dragons gets there.

DnD would make it 6, ain't no way Mario is missing the following weekend

We might be looking at 9 weeks of a $20M+ opener each week from February 17 to April 14 if Renfield ends up another Universal surprise ala M3GAN and Cocaine Bear (which I don't think is impossible). That's the kind of good news the box office has definitely been in need of for past 2-3 years.

• Like 1

I can see why they wanted to make a Shazam sequel at the time but if they weren't going to go the Black Adam route then it really made no sense.  The Rock played a part in why both his own and this movie had lackluster buzz to begin with. But that doesn't take the creators off the hook, they could have made a better movie here,  

All in all, WB was not going to bother marketing it more than they did. They knew there was no point. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I can see why they wanted to make a Shazam sequel at the time but if they weren't going to go the Black Adam route then it really made no sense.  The Rock played a part in why both his own and this movie had lackluster buzz to begin with. But that doesn't take the creators off the hook, they could have made a better movie here,  

All in all, WB was not going to bother marketing it more than they did. They knew there was no point. 

Yeah, they could have went the Monster Society/Mister Mind route. Or at least put in Tawky Tawny somehow for the Rocket Raccoon fans.