Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/17-19 | Weekend Est. - Shazam II $30.5M, Scream VI $17.5M, Creed III $15.4M, LXV $5.8M, #AintMan $4.1M

22 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Apparently Shazam also didn't get vaccinated against flopping!!

superhero fatigue is real. Flash will underperform too. Hell I think every single one will. Yikes all of them doing awful

Wasnt Shazam orig supposed to release along side A2?. Maybe they should of kept that release date. I mrean the film wouldnt of opeend any bigger, lower probably in fact, but at least it would of had holiday weekends and weekdays in its favour.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm mostly just curious what happens to the rest of the DC slate this year now following this floppage. The Flash is definitely staying put in June (as crowded as that month is even without it) since the marketing has already begun, but I wonder if this will show to other studios that Aquaman is not likely to be much of a threat to anything and move stuff around to Christmas (the fourth quarter schedule is still in need of a shake-up anyway following The Marvels planting itself in November).

I have a feeling that neither of those are going to do well now. 

Edited by Krissykins

Not a big comic book fan here but am i right in saying that WB a while ago basically annouced they were rebooting the DCU, rendering films like Shazam and Aquaman 2 pretty much obsolete?.

If i'm right, why would they annouce that so early?. I really quite liked Aquaman, and the sequel is probably going to flop because of it.

Edited by stuart360

8 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

superhero fatigue is real. Flash will underperform too. Hell I think every single one will. Yikes all of them doing awful

Flash sounds like it could be something based on reactions, but I’m hesitant to believe Miller controversy + everyone knowing this era do DCEU is over still won’t hurt it. 

12 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Shazam flopping has no bearing on Flash. Judging from buzz Flash is gonna do very well.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think if GotG underperforms, that’s when we know for sure if superhero fatigue is real. AM3 and Shazam were always doomed, barring some miraculous WOM or something. 

its already real in many key OS markets, the last 3 mcu movies couldn't even get a strong OW in south korea, quantumania opened 1/3 of the 2nd installment in china, france opened poorly

I think there's a pretty clear connection between Shazam and flash and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it missed 200M Dom

Real proof of CBM fatigue would be a (really probably would want 2) well received ones that should have been huge but do pretty meh. The closest things we've seen to that this decade are SC (delta) and WF (lead actor death). This year gotg, marvels, and aquaman *could* all qualify... But I wouldn't be surprised if gotg was the only one well received, and did well, in which case it will still be unclear heading into 2024/25ish

16 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Real proof of CBM fatigue would be a (really probably would want 2) well received ones that should have been huge but do pretty meh. The closest things we've seen to that this decade are SC (delta) and WF (lead actor death).

Why does everyone still forget The Suicide Squad?

It remains the biggest red flag of all. Adored online movie that absolutely fell with a splat and horrendous legs.

I know there was supposed mitigation with the simultaneous release, but that was a $185m movie with elevated critical response, successful (box office wise) previous instalment, adoring fans online and a big name director.

I still think some remain (I'm not saying the OP does here) in denial about everything to do with TSS. Just easier to pretend it didn't happen.

Heck while the OW is probably going to be behind TSS, finals for Shazam are still going to beat the pathetic 55m TSS earned total domestic.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

Just now, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

It remains the biggest red flag of all. Adored online movie that absolutely fell with a splat and horrendous legs.

I know there was supposed mitigation with the simultaneous release, but that was a $185m movie with elevated critical response, successful (box office wise) previous instalment, adoring fans online and a big name director.

I still think some remain (I'm not saying the OP does here) in denial about everything to do with TSS. Just easier to pretend it didn't happen.

This means nothing, the biggest movie of the pandemic is probably the most hated online atleast on the circles that love TSS like reddit/twitter

3 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Heck while the OW is probably going to be behind TSS, finals for Shazam are still going to beat the pathetic 55m TSS earned total domestic.

Everyone I know...pirated TSS.. So not really comparable.

I caught it in a half-filled theater in IMAX opening weekend. It was glorious.

• Like 1