Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 03/31-04/02 | #FRI - D&D $15.3M, JW4 $7.9M, HOS - $2.1M, Scream VI $1.55M, Creed III $1.4M, Shazam $1.2M &1001 $700K

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

A little surprised to see the studio go with a relatively bullish $40M estimate on a Saturday morning when $35M would be the safer bet and still above their prior expectation. Unusual.

I agree - with the under 25 weakness, I don't see them pulling out $40M, either...

• Like 1

John Wick 4's weekend drop a little steeper than I thought.

Felt that due to the longer runtime, the weekend jump would be better; but guess the loss of PLF and bad weather in some states didn't help.

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

DnD Demo from deadline...not quite a 4 quadrant movie...not pulling great under 25 numbers...

"Some 61% of guys showed up to D&D, with men over 25 the biggest demo at 41% (85% grade), women over 25 at 27% (the best grade at 94%, can’t knock that Jean-Page), guys under 25 at 20% (92%), and women under 25 at 12% (also 92% grade). The 18-34 sect came out at 63%. Diversity demos were 48% Caucasian, 26% Hispanic and Latino, 10% Asian, and 8% Black."

Not pulling great under 25 numbers is not surprising. Isn't D&D a boomer game or something? It's a meme to under 25 crowd.

Also, don't underestimate Pine appeal with ladies. RJP is a factor for sure but dismissing Pine like that is not cool. :lol:

Don't recall the last time I've seen under 10% African American audience share. Total rejection. 

8 hours ago, Blankments said:

@Eric is Norlar Aver @WrathOfHan it is April! 

17x:

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: Top Gun: Maverick Round 3 IMAX, Orphan: First Kill, Spider-Man: No Way Home Round 3 Dolby, Confess, Fletch, Avatar Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar Round 3 3D, Black Adam Dolby, Smile, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby Atmos Round 0, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby, Strange World, Titanic Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, Creed III IMAX Round 2, 65, Scream Vi Dolby, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby

15x:

Oppenheimer: Nope Dolby, The Black Phone, Nope Round 2 IMAX, Bullet Train Dolby, Jaws Round 2 IMAX, Avatar Round 4 IMAX 3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, The Pale Blue Eye, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Close, 2022 Live-Action Oscar Shorts, Moving On, Inside

11x:

The Super Mario Bros. Movie: Black Adam Dolby, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby Atmos Round 0, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby, Strange World, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, Pathaan, Titanic Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, 2022 Animated Oscar Shorts

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, Selfiee, Creed III IMAX Round 2, 65

Shazam! Fury of the Gods: DC League of Super-Pets, Don’t Worry Darling Dolby, Black Adam Dolby, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, Creed III IMAX, Creed III IMAX Round 2, Scream VI Dolby

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: Sing 2 Dolby, Belle Round 2, Morbius Dolby, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Dolby, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Missing, 2022 Animated Shorts, Creed III IMAX, Creed III IMAX Round 2, Shazam! Fury of the Gods IMAX

8x:

The Little Mermaid: Avatar Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar Round 3 3D, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby, Strange World, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D Round 4, 2022 Animated Oscar Shorts

Champions: Violent Night, Women Talking, Missing, Titanic Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, Cocaine Bear, The Quiet Girl

7x:

Renfield: M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, Cocaine Bear, 65, Scream VI Dolby, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby

6x:

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One: Top Gun: Maverick Dolby, Jurassic World Dominion IMAX, Top Gun: Maverick Round 2, Elvis Dolby, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Titanic Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D

65: Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, A Man Called Otto, Missing, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby

Evil Dead Rise: M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, Cocaine Bear, 65, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby

Fast X: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, Cocaine Bear, Creed III IMAX, Creed III IMAX Round 2, Shazam! Fury of the Gods IMAX, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby

5x:

Elemental: The Fabelmans, Strange World, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, 2022 Animated Oscar Shorts, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby

Scream VI: M3GAN, Missing, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Magic Mike’s Last Dance Dolby, Cocaine Bear

Beau is Afraid: The Whale, Everything Everywhere All at Once Round 4, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, Close

4x:

John Wick: Chapter 4: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Dolby Atmos Round 0, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 3 IMAX 3D, Knock at the Cabin Dolby, 65

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts: Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2 Dolby HFR48fps3D, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Scream VI Dolby

Air: Courting a Legend: Navalny, Creed III IMAX, Creed III IMAX Round 2, Scream VI Dolby

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby HFR48fps3D, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Dolby, Creed III IMAX, John Wick: Chapter 4 Dolby

Reveal hidden contents

11x:

Oppenheimer (Nope, Bullet Train, Jaws IMAX, Avatar Re-Release, Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Creed III, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, John Wick: Chapter 4)

9x:

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (Avatar Re-Release, Black Adam, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio, Babylon, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, Scream VI, John Wick: Chapter 4)

John Wick: Chapter 4 (Bullet Train, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, The Menu, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, The Whale, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Knock at the Cabin, Cocaine Bear)

6x:

Scream VI (Babylon, M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Cocaine Bear, Creed III)

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (Avatar Re-Release, Black Adam, Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Creed III)

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Creed III, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, John Wick: Chapter 4)

5x:

Chevalier (Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, Infinity Pool, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Creed III, Scream VI)

Creed III (Black Adam, The Banshees of Inisherin, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Magic Mike's Last Dance)

The Little Mermaid (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Shazam! Fury of the Gods)

4x:

Evil Dead Rise (M3GAN, Infinity Pool, Knock at the Cabin, Scream VI)

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Cocaine Bear, John Wick: Chapter 4)

Renfield (M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin, Cocaine Bear, Scream VI)

The Super Mario Bros. Movie (Black Adam, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish)

3x:

65 (Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Babylon, Knock at the Cabin) 

Barbie (Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Shazam! Fury of the Gods)

Beau Is Afraid (M3GAN, Infinity Pool, Knock at the Cabin)

Fast X (Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, John Wick: Chapter 4)

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Creed III)

2x:

Elemental (Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish)

The Flash (Shazam! Fury of the Gods, John Wick: Chapter 4)

1x:

About My Father (Shazam! Fury of the Gods)

Air (Creed III)

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (Magic Mike's Last Dance)

The Blackening (John Wick: Chapter 4)

The Boogeyman (Scream VI)

A Good Person (Babylon)

Guy Ritchie's The Covenant (Creed III)

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One (Top Gun: Maverick)

Polite Society (Knock at the Cabin)

Sisu (John Wick: Chapter 4)

Strays (Cocaine Bear)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (Shazam! Fury of the Gods)

Tetris (Scream VI)

A Thousand and One (Creed III)

24 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I can't wait for another Unaware Joe blame game "it's all marketing fault" every time a good movie flops. We are gonna have a field day with D&D and Renfield back to back, and I'm just gonna roll my eyes every time.

I mean, the trailers were indeed very off-putting to a lot of people. I give props to Paramount for their late push with the early review embargo and early screenings. But people did not like the trailers very much. Have seen countless comments everywhere saying "It's good?? I thought the trailers looked like garbage" etc

25 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

11x:

Oppenheimer (Nope, Bullet Train, Jaws IMAX, Avatar Re-Release, Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Creed III, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, John Wick: Chapter 4)

9x:

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (Avatar Re-Release, Black Adam, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio, Babylon, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, Scream VI, John Wick: Chapter 4)

John Wick: Chapter 4 (Bullet Train, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, The Menu, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, The Whale, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Knock at the Cabin, Cocaine Bear)

6x:

Scream VI (Babylon, M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Cocaine Bear, Creed III)

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (Avatar Re-Release, Black Adam, Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Creed III)

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Creed III, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, John Wick: Chapter 4)

5x:

Chevalier (Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, Infinity Pool, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Creed III, Scream VI)

Creed III (Black Adam, The Banshees of Inisherin, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Magic Mike's Last Dance)

The Little Mermaid (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Shazam! Fury of the Gods)

4x:

Evil Dead Rise (M3GAN, Infinity Pool, Knock at the Cabin, Scream VI)

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (Avatar: The Way of Water IMAX, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Cocaine Bear, John Wick: Chapter 4)

Renfield (M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin, Cocaine Bear, Scream VI)

The Super Mario Bros. Movie (Black Adam, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish)

3x:

65 (Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Babylon, Knock at the Cabin) 

Barbie (Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Shazam! Fury of the Gods)

Beau Is Afraid (M3GAN, Infinity Pool, Knock at the Cabin)

Fast X (Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, John Wick: Chapter 4)

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Creed III)

2x:

Elemental (Avatar: The Way of Water Dolby, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish)

The Flash (Shazam! Fury of the Gods, John Wick: Chapter 4)

1x:

About My Father (Shazam! Fury of the Gods)

Air (Creed III)

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (Magic Mike's Last Dance)

The Blackening (John Wick: Chapter 4)

The Boogeyman (Scream VI)

A Good Person (Babylon)

Guy Ritchie's The Covenant (Creed III)

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One (Top Gun: Maverick)

Polite Society (Knock at the Cabin)

Sisu (John Wick: Chapter 4)

Strays (Cocaine Bear)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (Shazam! Fury of the Gods)

Tetris (Scream VI)

A Thousand and One (Creed III)

I've always been curious. What are you guys doing

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Relax guys. Its going to have an excellent saturday for sure. Just wait and see. 

For $40M, it's gonna need:

$5.6M Previews

$9.7M True Friday

$14M Saturday (+45%)

$10.7M Sunday (-23%)

Those Sat and Sun numbers will be a reach...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

For $40M, it's gonna need:

$5.6M Previews

$9.7M True Friday

$14M Saturday (+45%)

$10.7M Sunday (-23%)

Those Sat and Sun numbers will be a reach...

I am not talking about 40m. I am saying its going to have a good run. It demographics for opening day alone is not a factor. If anything movies that target older audience tend to leg out very well. You will see that through April. This will not die once Mario opens. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I mean, the trailers were indeed very off-putting to a lot of people. I give props to Paramount for their late push with the early review embargo and early screenings. But people did not like the trailers very much. Have seen countless comments everywhere saying "It's good?? I thought the trailers looked like garbage" etc

I don't see anything wrong with its trailers, they represent the movie and its tone fairly well, some epic fantasy music wouldn't fit there. Godzilla 2, for example, had amazing trailers (minus second one) and still flopped. Sometimes people just don't care no matter how you sell it. Marketing is not some magic wand, but people think it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Not pulling great under 25 numbers is not surprising. Isn't D&D a boomer game or something? It's a meme to under 25 crowd.

Also, don't underestimate Pine appeal with ladies. RJP is a factor for sure but dismissing Pine like that is not cool. :lol:

Don't recall the last time I've seen under 10% African American audience share. Total rejection. 

Not that I speak for everyone in my generation but I really don't think DnD is a "boomer game". It may have started decades ago but it's incredibly niche amongst older generations and a lot of them still only remember it for supposedly inspiring satanic cults. It's far far more popular amongst people in their twenties. Almost everyone I know plays it at least a little.

Perhaps this is an issue of it not appealing to people who actually play the game, and more to people who just see it as a fun fantasy movie?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

This i can safely rebuttle. DnD has never been more popular than today and especially so among 15 - 25 year olds. It gained massive momentum when many famous streamers started to play it on Twitch and since then, has completely broken into the mainstream. In my university for example, everyone knows DnD and most play it.

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

This i can safely rebuttle. DnD has never been more popular than today and especially so among 15 - 25 year olds. It gained massive momentum when many famous streamers started to play it on Twitch and since then, has completely broken into the mainstream. In my university for example, everyone knows DnD and most play it.

And yet, of the generations, that group has not yet really bought tickets for this movie...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

And yet, of the generations, that group has not yet really bought tickets for this movie...

Though that doesnt surprise me either, personally. DnD fans - including myself - have ridiculed this movie ever since it has been announced and i believe for most it will take really good WOM for them to go see it. I will only see it because i followed this films reception and want to give it a chance, but among the 20 persons i know that play DnD, im the only one who is willing to see it. I imagine the same applys to many DnD groups/players.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Though that doesnt surprise me either, personally. DnD fans - including myself - have ridiculed this movie ever since it has been announced and i believe for most it will take really good WOM for them to go see it. I will only see it because i followed this films reception and want to give it a chance, but among the 20 persons i know that play DnD, im the only one who is willing to see it. I imagine the same applys to many DnD groups/players.

It's great. I'd see it if I were you. Know nothing about the game so maybe that's why I liked it but I think it's just charming and fun for everyone initiated or not. 

Edited by Valonqar

I'm not gonna defend Wick's second weekend, but I remember in 2019 we all went doom and gloom over Wick 3's 57% drop on its second weekend and how it was this awful atrocity and there was no hope for it, and it still did nearly 3 times its opening. It's still very much possible that Wick 4 will see the exact same result, especially with almost nothing coming out until Guardians 3.

• Like 3