Eric is Anxious

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The Flash and Barbie? Why pessimistic about them? Both have good buzz

Flash costs 300M before advertising, so i really doubt it will be a profitable movie at least in theaters 

Barbie yeah, there´s no real reason beyond personal feelings

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

can a Zelda story be done in one film though? I’m not sure. Agree it can be animated, but you can’t do Ocarina in two hours. A trilogy, yeah. That would be a first for animation to do that, but it could set a precedent. 

Imagine Illumination doing a Majora's Mask movie. 💀

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Flash costs 300M before advertising, so i really doubt it will be a profitable movie at least in theaters 

Barbie yeah, there´s no real reason beyond personal feelings

Idk about the Flash budget, but i'm bullish on both Barbie and Flash. I see them both doing very good.

45 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I think people might be jumping the gun with video game adaptations and their box office viability. Sure, they could definitely be hits. But Mario’s performance has less to do with the fact that it’s a video game specifically, and more to do with the fact that Mario is one of the most recognizable characters and IPs to ever exist. Sure, I’m certain there will be sequels, and maybe some other big video game IPs will try their hand, but I’d be shocked if this was the start of a big “video game renaissance” in Hollywood.

I think recent video game stuff is definitely proving there's a market, but I don't see anything as big as Mario. It has multi-generational appeal like no other. 

I do think some other Nintendo properties are ripe for success. Zelda has both nostalgia for older audiences, and is super popular with young people now, too, after the BotW renaissance. Animal Crossing would be hard to pull off, but again has huge appeal.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The Flash and Barbie? Why pessimistic about them? Both have good buzz

The Flash? DC isn't in the best shape right now and I don't think the star is popular with fans right now.

Barbie? I'm just skeptical that the surreal vibe can sustain a 2 hour movie like it does for trailers.

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

While we wait for Wednesday estimates can we do our top 5 video game franchises?

Overwatch

Tetris

Mario Kart

Grand Theft Auto

Marvel 

Fire Emblem

Donkey Kong

Xenoblade

The Legend of Zelda

Mario

Yeah, I'm a Nintendo guy myself...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Any examples of movies that opened on a Wednesday that got 4x legs from their 3-day?

Phantom menace?

If we're counting from the 3 day yup and then some 

Edited by screambaby
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, YM! said:

What Disney needs to do is be relentless in marketing again and give longer windows for the Plus. It’ll be very very very hard because of how big the Plus is and that it ate into a lot of it’s animation arms. Not saying Elemental or Wish won’t be hits (I think the latter could surprise) but they do have a battle uphill we can’t deny, especially because now competitors are less afraid to open against them.

Disney always bounces back despite some on here wanting it to collapse, Illumination is enjoying success now but we saw happened to DreamWorks Animation, things can change although Meledandri is much savvy compared to Katzenberg so I think they can whether a few flops. 

I'm not convinced by Migration becoming a huge hit, there's no real hook to it unlike Sing and SLOP. What is does have going for it is that Mike White is the writer.

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

While we wait for Wednesday estimates can we do our top 5 video game franchises?

Overwatch

Tetris

Mario Kart

Grand Theft Auto

Marvel 

Shin Megami Tensei

Monster Hunter

Final Fantasy

Fire Emblem

Devil May Cry

(mario)

• Like 2

I think Barbie will win the summer DOM if the reception is amazing. All the pieces are in place for a massive breakout there.  Pretty sure Disney realized this too, hence moving their female centric tentpole for the year away from it. 

Flash is just way too hard to say with DCU and Miller issues. 

• Disbelief 1

I don't harp on critics often, they are just people with opinions, some critics are very well-educated people with a wealth of knowledge but sometimes the majority of critics just get it wrong and that's exactly what happened here.  Last night's performance showed that nobody cares about their opinion on this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't harp on critics often, they are just people with opinions, some critics are very well-educated people with a wealth of knowledge but sometimes the majority of critics just get it wrong and that's exactly what happened here.  Last night's performance showed that nobody cares about their opinion on this. 

they didn't get it wrong

they just reviewed the movie using different parameters 

8 hours ago, KP1025 said:

WDAS bounced back pretty well after being dominated by Pixar in the 2000s. From a box office perspective, they were just as strong if not stronger in the 2010s. They're in a rough patch now, but I don't expect the slump experienced by either Pixar or WDAS to be permanent.

Disney wouldn't let it be permanent, animation is their legacy.