Eric is Anxious

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

If we take the amount of copies bought of Mario Kart 8 on Switch with a $12 avg tix price, there’s $700m+ right there. If we do that for the original Super Mario Bros in the 80s (likely an almost entirely different group of buyers), there’s another $500 mil. 

I don’t think people understood just how massive the Mario franchise has been in gaming for quite literally 40+ years. And it’s never had a lull either in there where the games stopped selling blockbuster numbers. Opposed to something like Sonic games, which is a mere sliver of the success of Mario games. 

Now Pokémon on the other hand is as successful of a gaming franchise, but  Detective Pikachu wasn’t straight up adapting the core games like fans would have likely lost their minds for. All of these mentioned gaming franchises should be animated too, it fits the style of these games. If we get proper mainline Pokémon adaptation that is animated (detached from the TV anime), guaranteed easy $1 bil grosser there as well. 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If we take the amount of copies bought of Mario Kart 8 on Switch with a $12 avg tix price, there’s $700m+ right there. If we do that for the original Super Mario Bros in the 80s (likely an almost entirely different group of buyers), there’s another $500 mil. 

I don’t think people understood just how massive the Mario franchise has been in gaming for quite literally 40+ years. And it’s never had a lull either in there where the games stopped selling blockbuster numbers. Opposed to something like Sonic games, which is a mere sliver of the success of Mario games. 

Now Pokémon on the other hand is as successful of a gaming franchise, but  Detective Pikachu wasn’t straight up adapting the core games like fans would have likely lost their minds for. All of these mentioned gaming franchises should be animated too, it fits the style of these games. If we get proper mainline Pokémon adaptation that is animated (detached from the TV anime), guaranteed easy $1 bil grosser there as well. 

Pokemon also just doesn't come close. Mario has sold north of 800m games. Pokemon has sold north of 400m. 

I am slightly surprised at the demographics...considering the massive opening, I was expecting a much higher Caucasian %

Moviegoers were guys at 60%, with 62% between 18-34, with the largest quad being 18-24 years old at 33%. Diversity demos showed Latino and Hispanic audiences in the lead at 41%, Caucasian at 30%, Black at 15%, and Asian/other at 14%. Super Mario Bros conquered everywhere, with East and West coasts dominating, with eight of the top ten coming from California. AMC Burbank is the richest theater in the U.S. with a gross of $270K+ since the pic opened on Wednesday. Imax and PLF are driving 27% of Super Mario Bros’ ticket sales so far.

For reference top 10 selling Mario games and the year of release:

1. Mario Kart 8 + 8 Deluxe (2014 and 2017) - 60+ mil (still selling bucket loads)

2. Super Mario Bros (1985) - 40 mil

3. Mario Kart Wii - 38 mil

4. New Super Mario Bros (2006) - 31 mil 

5. New Super Mario Bros Wii (2009) - 30 mil

6. Super Mario Odyssey (2017) - 25 mil (still selling) 

7. Mario Kart DS (2005) - 23 mil

8. Super Mario World (1991) - 21 mil

9. Mario Kart 7 (2011) - 19 mil

10. Super Mario Party (2018) - 19 mil (still selling) 

Representation from every decade. Big props to them for heavily incorporating Mario Kart into the movie considering the sales. 

And for more context, there are plenty of notable and long running game franchises that have never had one game sell 10 mil copies. Let alone 10 selling 20 mil+. Halo for example has never had a game sell 10m, despite 20+ years and over a dozen games of being a high profile game franchise.

The list expands to 30+ games when talking about Mario games that have hit the 10m mark. Craziness. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I am slightly surprised at the demographics...considering the massive opening, I was expecting a much higher Caucasian %

Moviegoers were guys at 60%, with 62% between 18-34, with the largest quad being 18-24 years old at 33%. Diversity demos showed Latino and Hispanic audiences in the lead at 41%, Caucasian at 30%, Black at 15%, and Asian/other at 14%. Super Mario Bros conquered everywhere, with East and West coasts dominating, with eight of the top ten coming from California. AMC Burbank is the richest theater in the U.S. with a gross of $270K+ since the pic opened on Wednesday. Imax and PLF are driving 27% of Super Mario Bros’ ticket sales so far.

It is not really that surprising if the biggest turnout age group is from younger group demo. After all, the young American just aren't as white as the generation before, unless you are counting Hispanic White as Caucasian white. 

• Like 2

The kids were totally cool at my screening. Actually they were downright adorable like this one little girl who was very concerned for Luigi's safety throughout the film.🥺

It was 2 dads who were annoying af. One insisted on being loud and giving running commentary to his daughter even when she could see what was happening on screen and even started quizzing her to see if she could follow what was going on (!). Like let the kid experience the movie by herself and also STFU.

The other one was kinda gross, rubbing popcorn dust across his body 🤢

Ppl who are finally coming out to theatres after 3 years have completely forgotten social etiquette. 🥲

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

It is not really that surprising if the biggest turnout age group is from younger group demo. After all, the young American just aren't as white as the generation before, unless you are counting Hispanic White as Caucasian white. 

True that's a good point. Younger generations are getting close to Hispanic majority.

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

25 percent of gen z is latino.

So 40% of the audience is still very high.

2 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

True that's a good point. Younger generations are getting close to Hispanic majority.

No they're not.

Whites will become a minority (under 50%) but they'll still be the biggest minority by far.

8 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

The kids were totally cool at my screening. Actually they were downright adorable like this one little girl who was very concerned for Luigi's safety throughout the film.🥺

It was 2 dads who were annoying af. One insisted on being loud and giving running commentary to his daughter even when she could see what was happening on screen and even started quizzing her to see if she could follow what was going on (!). Like let the kid experience the movie by herself and also STFU.

The other one was kinda gross, rubbing popcorn dust across his body 🤢

Ppl who are finally coming out to theatres after 3 years have completely forgotten social etiquette. 🥲

Seriously wut? 

42 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

Pokemon also just doesn't come close. Mario has sold north of 800m games. Pokemon has sold north of 400m. 

Mario also has a 10-15 year head start, but don’t let me stop you. Pokémon is equally bigger if not more so that Mario imo. 

• Like 1

Amidst all of the focus on the Nintendo and video game aspect of the Mario movie, I’ve forgotten to mention how monumental this is for animation in general right now.

I don’t think people understood how scary it has been looking for the medium bc big budget animation is very costly and you can’t just keep having them perform like 95% of the ones post covid have and expect studios will keep shelling out the budgets to make them. 

This movie’s success is a HUGE deal for the medium right now. It shows every single industry exec out there not only is big budget animation still viable, you can still score the highest grossing animated film of all time post-covid if you play your cards right and don’t treat them like second rate cinema relegated to streaming. 

I would say I don’t know who needs to hear that right now, except I absolutely do know (cough Iger cough).

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3