Eric Prime

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

2 hours ago, DisposedData said:

Looks like four quadrant monster with amazing word of mouth to boot. I'm fascinated by that latino demo. I had no idea that mario was so big with them. Explains why Latin amaerica is really showing up for the film as well.

As a Latina, living in a 90% Latino area of the U.S., let me tell you, you’d be amazed at how BIG the anime and video game fan culture is here. Lots of comic and game shops, and our local comic con gets tens of thousands of attendees every year. My local theater’s Mario shows are filling up quickly. Yeah, that demo doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Edited by Ladybug
  • Like 6
  • Heart 1

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

GTA's appeal is acting out criminal activities. I don't see the same appeal for watching a recycled gangster mobie. Unless you go the Free Guy route. 

The appeal for us, sure. But the appeal for the general public is the fact that it's Grand Theft Auto. Besides, pretty sure there would be a revolt if they tried to do it PG-13 

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

GTA's appeal is acting out criminal activities. I don't see the same appeal for watching a recycled gangster mobie. Unless you go the Free Guy route. 

i think that's a problem with a lot of games that try to be "cinematic" and feel like movies, when we get the movie adaptations they're gonna feel like redundant retreads of the stuff that inspired them.

• Like 4

Thanks to just how diverse the film releases under Universal, the studio is now far ahead in the running as top studio of 2023. This is followed by 20th Century although Avatar 2 is the sole film in release.

The funny part is that WB celebrates its 100 years of anniversary sitting at the bottom of the top 10 studio chart, side by side with small studio like A24 and Focus feature. Even Lionsgate start gaining momentum thanks to JW4 and Jesus Revolution. Another mid-tier studio UA/Amazon is also doing good with Creed 3 and AIR. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I guess the real question now should be are/will Nintendo/Illumination plan a Smash Bros “Avengers initiative” build up with all this? 

I don’t think they’ll do Smash Bros but I’ve been thinking on it for a minute but I think Universal come Cinemacon will ink a deal with Nintendo to make a bunch of movies both animated and not. Live-action Zelda, Pokémon and Metroid will be one of them with Illumination doing Mario 2 for 2026 and either Donkey Kong or Luigi’s Mansion for 2027, and probably Kirby, Star Fox, Splatoon or Pikmin as movies. Think Kirby will be most favored as the lead is silent and is the perfect blend of Ice Age Scrat/Minions shenanigans which Melandandri help build.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, YM! said:

I don’t think they’ll do Smash Bros but I’ve been thinking on it for a minute but I think Universal come Cinemacon will ink a deal with Nintendo to make a bunch of movies both animated and not. Live-action Zelda, Pokémon and Metroid will be one of them with Illumination doing Mario 2 for 2026 and either Donkey Kong or Luigi’s Mansion for 2027, and probably Kirby, Star Fox, Splatoon or Pikmin as movies. Think Kirby will be most favored as the lead is silent and is the perfect blend of Ice Age Scrat/Minions shenanigans which Melandandri help build.

I also think this would be a better route as well. Like I said, I would like to see something like Zelda go live action. And I’m not sure if you can make Smash Bros “work” as a movie. That really might be “too video game.” 

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Now for me it’s all eyes on Japan. I just can’t fathom why they would shun one of their biggest cultural icons of 4+ decades  that inherently belong to them when it’s blowing up in every other major world market. 

I feel like Hollywood movies have been doing consistently bad numbers in Japan recently. 

Don't see it go over 100m there but we'll see. 

13 minutes ago, YM! said:

They won't get Pokemon since Nintendo doesn't handle the rights, the Pokemon Company does

8 minutes ago, Whydidyoudoit said:

I feel like Hollywood movies have been doing consistently bad numbers in Japan recently. 

Don't see it go over 100m there but we'll see. 

If it falters there, I think Hollywood is completely over in Japan. Not sure what can be done to get their interest away from just domestic efforts if this can’t, 

imo pokemon is much “nerdier” than mario and will never appeal to four quadrants as well. and side note on a GTA movie: I think it could be a Joker scenario where it explodes with young men online and becomes a huge hit

44 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I guess the real question now should be are/will Nintendo/Illumination plan a Smash Bros “Avengers initiative” build up with all this? 

not everything needs to relate back to the MCU….

• Like 1