Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

DISCUSS!!!

Reading the article, it appears she's defending herself from folks who think she wasn't antivax enough.

As such, I can't say I care since she constantly stresses she has to represent the union as a whole and not the loudmouths out there who swallow conspiracy nonsense hook line and sinker.

I'm sure there are folks pushing this to try to split/weaken the union at a critical stage as well.  But, frankly, looking at what she had to say for herself I:

1] am disappointed she is in the antivax circles.

2] glad she still follows the wishes of the majority of the board/membership.

Beyond that, can't say I care all that much.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

It's a shame she won the vote for SAG president

I agree, since I consider the Anti Vax movement to be a clear and present danger to the health of the nation, and truly scary in that something so openly hostile to science has become so popular. Welcome to the new Dark Ages.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 7:19 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

These are two different, unrelated things. That being said, yes, people I know who’ve worked on his projects don’t speak kindly about their experiences. 

A lot of people just do not get this. They think artistic merit and how good a human being one is are somehow related.

They are not. Some of the greatest writers, composers, and artist who ever lived are people you would not have wanted to have as a next door neighbor.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/sag-aftra-actors-strike-publicist-meeting-1235665797/

“It would be a miracle at this point” to reach a deal by this Wednesday, one producer told Variety.

The agents who broker deals for stars were “freaking out” as news of the Monday call trickled out, the producer source said. Last week, the tea leaves read positive that the producers and actors would reach a deal. But by Friday, according to another top power player who spoke on the condition of anonymity, “everything fell apart.”

:sadfleck:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

if the actor's strike i think the writer's strike may go into September

Why September? If SAG strikes, Hollywood is shut down. Sure, Reality TV can be made, but that's television. Movie productions will immediately have to cease for the moment and money will be lost immediately, every day, every week, until agreements can be made with the actors. And then, the writers.

Well if SAG strikes great for the writers because i doubt this will be long 

They’re used to treat writers like shit and move on but without actor they can’t shoot at all and not even market the already finished movies 

The sole DGA strike that happened for 3 hours: i’m expecting SAG strike to be a longer version of this, maybe to a few days.

5 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

If both go on strike it's very likely that it will be resolved much faster, since they will stand in solidarity.

We can hope, but we saw what DGA did. 🤷‍♀️

So on the one hand I'm a little surprised simply because of the extension but on the other hand... Not really at all.

I've long been one of the more pessimistic posters on this thread about the whole situation and so if a strike happens it really does commit to my priors.

When it comes right down to it, the problem is streaming.  As an outsider looking in (to use the phrase @Cap used), I reckon no one as a group is happy with the current state of streaming in entertainment. 

Well, except consumers.  They're making out like bandits.  And that's the problem in a nutshell.  The streaming model, as currently construed, is just not working out when it comes to dollars and cents.

And when no one involved in talks are happy, that can lead to very messy and protracted outcomes.

No one is gonna cry for the position the megacorps put themselves in here (at least they shouldn't).  And all of them are worth an obscene amount of money and can easily afford to give the writers and actors what they deserve.  At the same time, from the megacorps perspective, all they probably really care about is the profitability of the divisions in question. 

If the streaming division of MegaCorp Plus On Demand isn't pulling in a profit right now, they're not gonna be too sanguine on giving actors and writers a larger share of that pie.

Immoveable object, meet irresistible force.

Really, it's the current unprofitability of streaming which has been ***THE*** major stumbling block for Yours Truly to see any hope of a deal being reached without a lot of pain, blood, anger, and sheer forces of will being pitted against each other.

Maaaaaaybe this is a quick one (again if it actually happens).  But, man, gotta tell you.  Being the Resident Pessimist* About Strike Talks has served me well so far and I ain't seeing much on the horizon that pushes me off of that rock.

* Or cynic in the case of the DGA

As for how long this lasts, again if it happens?  Well I'd like to say "it's either gonna be very short or VERY long", and as much as I'd like to say "Oh shit, they do mean business, better fold" of a short strike is appealing, I got a nagging feeling that this is gonna be long, drawn out, war.

(for the umpteenth time, seeing my share of sports contract battles is absolutely informing my thinking here)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

a small collapse of Hollywood has felt inevitable to me even before the pandemic, but hoping the strike does happen because what's happening now is not sustainable, and Hollywood really needs to build it's self back up into something better in fear of a bigger if not permanent crash 

Edited by cooldude97

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2023-07-10/la-et-ct-sag-aftra-strike-analysis

The year was 1960. An actor named Ronald Reagan was president of the Screen Actors Guild, which was at the time fired up about residuals over films licensed to or sold to TV.

The result was a strike that lasted March 7 to April 18 and halted movies starring such luminaries as Elizabeth Taylor, Jack Lemmon and Marilyn Monroe.

Actors joined the industry's writers, who had already been on strike since January of that year. The writers' strike was long — their dispute lasted 148 days — and centered on income that screenwriters would get from movies airing on television and other issues.

Sixty-three years later, Hollywood is once again in the midst of a historic labor battle in which studios are facing a possible strike on two fronts in a protracted battle over new forms of distribution.

SAG-AFTRA members have authorized their leaders to call a strike if they can't reach a deal with the major studios by Wednesday night, when their extended contract officially expires. They would join members of the Writers Guild of America, who have been on strike since May 2, broadening a labor conflict that has already disrupted film and TV productions nationwide.@

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

a small collapse of Hollywood has felt inevitable to me even before the pandemic, but hoping the strike does happen because what's happening now is not sustainable, and Hollywood really needs to build it's self back up into something better in fear of a bigger if not permanent crash 

I think the coming of streaming will eventually do to the current Hollywood system what the coming of televsion did to the classic studio system: Over a number of years destroy it, The put all you eggs in a few big budget film basket is not a good straregy in a age of streaming. Maybe a return to a wider range of films with a wider range of budgets will result.

Maybe a Singles and Doubles strategy rather then a Home Run strategy is what is needed.