Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

47 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The data suggests it's actually the olds who have abandoned movie theaters altogether. Even Haunting in Venice was like 55% under 35. Which is bad in short term for the movies I tend to like but good in long term, I suppose.

Yeah, and this has always been tradition. Movies are made for the young, that’s how Hollywood has always survived. Millennials have been far more movie crazed than any other gens in their 30s or 40s. Z and Alpha are the opposite, far less in their prime teens and 20s consumption. Not sure why this is an argument, it’s been very well documented. 

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Why is it so important to these sociopathic CEO’s that they be allowed to use the likenesses of dead people without permission? You would think the backlash against the Flash movie would’ve made them realize that it perhaps isn’t worth it. 

Have you seen Nick Cage talking about it a couple of days ago?? All he filmed for was Clark Kent looking worried as he saw multiple universes collapsing, the whole spider fighting scene is something he only found out  about when he actually watched the movie, it was full CGI and he wasn't consulted about it at all and had no idea about it, how fucked up is that?

If they could do it to someone as famous as him, imagine what they'd do to others if they could get away with it.

7 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Have you seen Nick Cage talking about it a couple of days ago?? All he filmed for was Clark Kent looking worried as he saw multiple universes collapsing, the whole spider fighting scene is something he only found out  about when he actually watched the movie, it was full CGI and he wasn't consulted about it at all and had no idea about it, how fucked up is that?

If they could do it to someone as famous as him, imagine what they'd do to others if they could get away with it.

I did, and it only served to reinforce my view of what a cynical corporate product that movie was. I just would’ve hoped that it flopping as badly as it did would’ve perhaps made Hollywood less inclined to continue doing that crap, but apparently not. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Don’t think so for Mario and Opp? Barbie was like 25-35 range I think, so older gen z and millennials. Older gen z skew more towards millennial habits. But also, yes the huge breakouts we’ve had all were able to pull in some Z audience, which is the reason we have so few breakouts now. That’s not common. 

The thing is that now we have a highly accurate tracking thread that picks up on any potential breakouts. Surprises like Minions 2 and LTBC can still happen but are rare. This is because, in order to be a surprise, not only must they have strong late growth, but they also must stay under the radar before then in order to actually be surprising.

We have had 2 movies that I would describe as "Gen Z-powered breakouts" in the 25 days. It's just that everyone here knew they were coming because of presales tracking, which wasn't really a thing say 15 years ago. 

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

They could’ve killed Leia off in between films, but I suppose that would’ve potentially been controversial in its own right. 

Thing is, no matter what they did, it would've likely been a weak and highly criticized transition. I can see why they wanted to at least try to continue on with the character even if it was half assed in this scenario.

Edited by poweranimals

28 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

They could’ve killed Leia off in between films, but I suppose that would’ve potentially been controversial in its own right. 

To be clear, Carrie Fisher/Leia's appearance in TROS wouldn't be a issue for the SAG, because Lucasfilm/Disney have the family's consent.

The issue rejected by SAG is that studios could be able to use the likeness of a death actor without consent from the state or family.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kon said:

To be clear, Carrie Fisher/Leia's appearance in TROS wouldn't be a issue for the SAG, because Lucasfilm/Disney have the family's consent.

The issue rejected by SAG is that studios could be able to use the likeness of a death actor without consent from the state or family.

Which is basically what happened with George Reeves in The Flash. To the best of my knowledge, he doesn’t have any living family members, so who exactly gave them permission to digitally recreate him? 

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

The thing is that now we have a highly accurate tracking thread that picks up on any potential breakouts. Surprises like Minions 2 and LTBC can still happen but are rare. This is because, in order to be a surprise, not only must they have strong late growth, but they also must stay under the radar before then in order to actually be surprising.

We have had 2 movies that I would describe as "Gen Z-powered breakouts" in the 25 days. It's just that everyone here knew they were coming because of presales tracking, which wasn't really a thing say 15 years ago. 

Yeah, those are the only breakouts since Barbenheimer too. So the young demo remains the most important for Hollywood like it always has been. The problem is they can’t successfully court then very often now. Seems like a few times a year. 

The diminished presence of older audiences is probably not seen as too big of a negative to major exhibitors because the under 50 crowd (families especially) tend to go the most for concessions, which is how theaters really make their money. For example, even if none of The Marvels/Hunger Games/Trolls/Wish make more than $150M total (a legit possibility at this point), all those movies finishing within that vicinity is still a positive for theaters overall since that's a lot of concessions that will be sold.

5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

The data suggests it's actually the olds who have abandoned movie theaters altogether. Even Haunting in Venice was like 55% under 35. Which is bad in short term for the movies I tend to like but good in long term, I suppose.

And older demo are the most sensitive to traditional marketing campaign that rely on star power. 

• Like 1

The AI stuff seems like something that can be resolved by state governments, not by unions. I really don't see studios budging on it, especially ones with diverse international content like Netflix. Why would they limit their opportunities unless forced to by regulating bodies in the US, EU and the like? It doesn't make economic sense.

1 hour ago, Agafin said:

The AI stuff seems like something that can be resolved by state governments, not by unions. I really don't see studios budging on it, especially ones with diverse international content like Netflix. Why would they limit their opportunities unless forced to by regulating bodies in the US, EU and the like? It doesn't make economic sense.

Kiiinda don't really have time for Congress,  deadlocked as it's been

Yeah I think government entities in general have a certain distaste for getting involved in arts-related issues. It's never gonna be perceived as a pressing concern compared to things like national security and the "real job" economy. I'm sure some of them also have vested interests in AMPTP entities and probably wouldn't be incentivized to figure out a more beneficial arrangement for SAG AFTRA than they could themselves.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1