Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Yes, but this was huge miscalculation on the part of AMPTP. It has backfired.

Problem is the people in charge of big companies are capable of doing really stupid things.

And yes, using the press as a weapon in these disputes goes back a far as union disputes have beenhappening. Both sides try to get the pubic on their side. In this case, AMPTP really, really, miscalculated.

One time I had someone I know brag about how he would purposefully get intern's names wrong. I don't think the "starve the writers out" like comments are a majority position within the AMPTP membership. But I'm sure some of them did say stuff like that to Deadline.

• Like 4

While the deadline is in less than an hour, the guild's board will apparently still have to meet tomorrow and confirm the strike call. So they won't be on strike for another 12 hours or so.

Edited by DInky

11 hours ago, AniNate said:

Which is why I don't think they are responsible for this. I mean the biggest winner of all this is Deadline, they got the clicks, the hateshares and the ad revenue. They exploited social media's prejudice with a dubiously sourced piece that pushed all of the emotional buttons. For all we know that "studio exec" was an intern. 

Why does this remind me of all the times people said the media was lying about the batshit crazy shit that Trump said behind closed doors in the White House but all turned out to be true.

1 minute ago, DInky said:

Strike vote in 11 hours.

Little less than 8 hours, actually.

(9am Pacific is when the meeting convenes)

It's all but a formality anyway.  Unless there is a Hail Mary from the AMPTP.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1