Eric Lasagna

THE CREATOR | 09.29.2023

I feel like this will need a downer ending to stand out from what looks like rather ho-hum genre trappings. We can take it as read that it’s a miracle a large-ish budgeted original movie aimed at adults exists in 2023. 

Edited by Hatebox

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Incidentally, the fox movie studio still exists then? Or was this in development before the Disney buyout and they’re obliged to keep the logo? 

Disney will continue to use the 20th Century Studios logo for films that it deems appropriate for that label, as well any IPs that originated there will stay there (Avatar, Planet of the Apes, Alien, Simpsons, etc).

My guess is that it's slowly becoming a replacement for Touchstone as they seem to be putting their mid-budget/big budget adult fare there.

• Like 3

Literally just rewatched Godzilla (2014) this last week to get my Gareth Edwards fix, his visual storytelling and ability to build tension is at a totally different level than his peers. So happy to be getting another blockbuster from him.

Also Greig Fraser (who I assume set the tone before Oren Soffer took over) has really outdone himself with his quest to make digital look more like film. I saw the IMAX exclusive trailer before MI7 and on the big screen it's indistinguishable, the grain, the colour, the lenses. Beautiful work, stunning. 

Edited by FilmFincher

Just now, PrinceRico said:

What is the budget for this because it looks incredible. Should have got this guy to direct the flash.

superhero fans don't demand every promising director gets put on an mcu/dcu project instead of making an original film challenge (IMPOSSIBLE)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

This looks insanely good damn 

Does it?

I saw the first trailer before MI7 yesterday and the visuals look great for its budget, but it doesn't really look like a good movie - just a mash-up for half a dozen other IPs from before it. But it's nice to get more sci-fi, so pulling for it to actually be good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

superhero fans don't demand every promising director gets put on an mcu/dcu project instead of making an original film challenge (IMPOSSIBLE)

I think the fact that he's already done a Godzilla film and a Star Wars film puts him outside the "promising indie director" camp.

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I think the fact that he's already done a Godzilla film and a Star Wars film puts him outside the "promising indie director" camp.

Agreed in this specific case, but even so, everytime there's an original film looking good and/or doing well we get this take, it's somewhat maddening tbh

5 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

This looks so good. I would be mad if this got pushed back. 😭

Pushing it back would mean that they'd actually have faith in this. And considering that this is an original science fiction piece from their redheaded and abused black sheep stepchild, they sure as hell don't.

41 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Meh. It still looks fairly typical in terms of modern sci-fi. 

Sadly, the only way to get an original pic with a significant budget (yes, 90 million is still significant) greenlit is by looking fairly typical or having immense clout like, say, Nolan. Studios won't take the gamble otherwise.

Still, I hope it is successful, since it's all baby steps to get back to a climate where more original stuff can be made. 

Edited by Celedhring

1 hour ago, Reddroast said:

There is no way that is the budget

Idk man, I'd shocked if it wasn't. Gareth Edwards has historically been pretty good with budgets (Godzilla was $160 million which is much less then you would think) and he's been working with heavy VFX since the start of his career, I wouldn't be shocked if this is lower then $100M.