Eric Loves Rey

THE CREATOR | 09.29.2023

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Looks like 20th century is doing whatever they can to market an movie event without cast. 3 trailers for a single movie is normally reserved for a bigger tentpole. They must be thinking they got something on their hand to be this confident.   

Test screenings for this was very good and many insiders said it’s a great movie. 

As we know this not always turn out to great reviews or CinemaScore, but Fox / Disney definitely seems to be thinking they have a winner to be pushing it harder than usual  

Let’s see, presales aren’t awful and we should be getting some reviews soon since it’ll screen on Fantastic Fest. 

I’m just curious because these trailers are selling big action while the movie apparently is more of a moody piece with occasional action.

21 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Test screenings for this was very good and many insiders said it’s a great movie. 

As we know this not always turn out to great reviews or CinemaScore, but Fox / Disney definitely seems to be thinking they have a winner to be pushing it harder than usual  

Let’s see, presales aren’t awful and we should be getting some reviews soon since it’ll screen on Fantastic Fest. 

I’m just curious because these trailers are selling big action while the movie apparently is more of a moody piece with occasional action.

When will be embargo lifted? If the reaction was that good, shouldn't they allow review earlier, especially for a original sci-fi?  The screening during Fantastic Fest is on Sep 26 and I assume that would be the earliest we hear some review just 3 days before wide release, is that a bit too late for a great movie? 

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

When will be embargo lifted? If the reaction was that good, shouldn't they allow review earlier, especially for a original sci-fi?  The screening during Fantastic Fest is on Sep 26 and I assume that would be the earliest we hear some review just 3 days before wide release, is that a bit too late for a great movie? 

Not really, reviews on Tuesday of release is kinda the standard tbh. When it’s bad they hold them until Thursday. 

And it could be earlier, the screening on Fantastic Fest is labeled as Texas Premiere which means there will be some other earlier.

On 8/27/2023 at 11:47 PM, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Gareth Edwards's directing has always been stellar, it's just that the scripts he's worked with on both of his big movies haven't been up to par. He also wrote this one this time around, so we'll see how it works out.

He also suffered some heavy duty studio interference on ROgue One. His version was a lot darker, from all I have read, then what we saw in theaters.

• Like 1

I think Sneider is way off there, but I am starting to expect very solid reviews now. Still embargoed but the letterboxd reactions that have slipped through the cracks have been good. 

I was worried it would get middling reception, but I think it'll get some solid acclaim now. I'll predict over 80% on RT as of rn. We'll get twitter reactions on like Monday iirc

I really hope this can help it build buzz and launch to like a $20m DOM OW. I didn't love the early trailer drops but the recent marketing through TV Spots, posters, and viral marketing like at the Chargers game has been pretty inventive

Edited by Pinacolada

Sneider, Ruimy, AND EmpireCity are pushing that this is great? It's like the reverse Woodward and Bernstein - I wouldn't believe if they reported that the sky was blue.

The movie could well turn out to be good, but why not show it at TIFF if so?

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Sneider, Ruimy, AND EmpireCity are pushing that this is great? It's like the reverse Woodward and Bernstein - I wouldn't believe if they reported that the sky was blue.

Ruimy is saying it’s great? I would’ve half-expected him to consider it “woke” for being a Disney film that stars a black guy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

It’s Fox, normally they send just what they think could actually win something or get big award buzz.

Fox send all the 4 movies they believe could make a splash for the 3 festivals. Poor Things which was weird obviously to premiere at Venice, All Of Us Strangers and The Bikeriders to premiere at Telluride and Next Goal Wins to premiere at TIFF (despite the bad reviews everyone said it’s the type of movie that gets awards there). 

That’s probably why The Creator wasn’t in any of these, they just didn’t think it was a good fit to actually win anything and it’s a sci-fi action so they probably care more about box office for this than anything else.

I doubt this means anything (good or bad) quality wise. Lots of great movies don’t make premieres at festivals and particularly this year a lot of bad ones is screening at TIFF everyday.

• Like 1

Grace Randolph also said it’s a great movie haha. Pretty much every annoying person on the “insiders” business said it’s great which is kinda funny when you don’t take them seriously. 

But let’s see, there are happening press screening for this since Thursday before the premiere on Monday so they’re definitely showing it to a lot of people. Embargoed reactions on Letterboxd was looking pretty good from what i saw.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I can’t tell if he’s trolling. 

Jeff could behave like a dick sometime, but he isn't saying something without sense. He rightfully called out EG isn't a serious Oscar contender like everyone was hyping  after the record-breaking opening. He is also one of first few that called out Angela Bassett's Oscar win isn't as frontrunner that people see.