Eric Prime

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

37 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

A combination of various factors like the second film not aging well, it being 6 long years since said second film, Peter Quill's poor showing in Infinity War, and GotG3 being the first MCU film to follow Quantumania, so it has the thankless task of building back some lost goodwill.

Maybe it would have opened bigger with an RT score in the 90s

Not aging well? Wdym lol. The CGI is still top notch and better than any CBM from either studio recently.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Man I remember we had some good discussion a year ago about how to project final for  these May kickoff MCUs based on Sun and Sat @M37

Going to try to dig it up I think

I had forgotten about that!  It was that every April/May MCU release since Avengers finished with a final DOM total less than 10x its opening Sunday, and all but one falling in the 9.5 - 10x range (the one exception being AOU, where the Pacquiao fight pushed enough business from Sat to Sun that the ratio was only 9.12x). Basically, whether it opened big with weak WOM (CACW) or smaller with good WOM (GOTG2), the Sunday value in isolation was enough to project the final total

MoM actually broke that streak at 10.58x, but that really had more to do with just how frontloaded the OW weekend was, Sunday accounting for just 20% of it rather than the ~25% standard, than any thing to do with legs after opening Sunday & Weekend

Guardians doesn't have that big Thur/Fri already banked, so a $300M+ total probably needs a $30M+ (-23%) Sunday ...

Edited by M37
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Guardians Vol 2 is the best MCU film if we’re being real.

Black Panther will always be my fave. That's the film that kids today will consider their Star Wars. Quote me on that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

Black Panther will always be my fave. That's the film that kids today will consider their Star Wars. Quote me on that.

nah. I like the film more than most entries, but the nature of the MCU model means it’s still just one of many. 

Kids today are more likely to see Stranger Things as their SW experience. Something that came out of nowhere. 

Edited by Hatebox

10 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

No one outside of America cares about black panther, so I guess it is kinda like Star Wars.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

For black kids in particular, it will be much more than SW

4 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

nah. I like the film more than most entries, but the nature of the MCU model means it’s still just one of many. 

Kids today are more likely to see Stranger Things as their SW experience. Something that came out of nowhere. 

Naah, the MCU as a whole is much more culturally humongous than ST. ST wasn't even bigger than Bridgerton until recent seasons. I'd think an 'SW level' pop-culture zeitgeist would require higher benchmarks.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

For black kids in particular, it will be much more than SW

Naah, the MCU as a whole is much more culturally humongous than ST. ST wasn't even bigger than Bridgerton until recent seasons. I'd think an 'SW level' pop-culture zeitgeist would require higher benchmarks.  

It’s not about ST being ‘bigger’ than MCU (we were just talking about BP anyway), it’s about something new coming along that completely defines an era for a certain age group. When we look back on this period, ST will fulfil that function more than black panther. 

Edited by Hatebox

I think people are putting their own feelings onto kids. If BP was the new SW for a new generation it wouldn’t have dropped for BP2. I just wish the film that spoke so strongly to black Americans wasn’t a film whose underlying message seems to be “wow an Africa with skyscrapers!” as if there are not modern successful cities in Africa.

Only the nation which hid in a bubble is a successful African country with a modern society. 

Still enjoy the film but the message taken in America is fairly ignorant.

5 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

I think people are putting their own feelings onto kids. If BP was the new SW for a new generation it wouldn’t have dropped for BP2. I just wish the film that spoke so strongly to black Americans wasn’t a film whose underlying message seems to be “wow an Africa with skyscrapers!” as if there are not modern successful cities in Africa.

Only the nation which hid in a bubble is a successful African country with a modern society. 

Sure it would have dropped, just like Empire Strikes Back dropped from Star Wars back in the day. When a movie is a cultural phenomenon, it's hard to recapture the same fervor for a sequel while not everybody will return for a second bite. Look at Avatar, the second movie only really got that close to the first in gross due to 13 years of inflation, the admissions drop was huge. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

I agree that BP isn't the SW of the MCU stuff... That would be more  so AIW or AEG or both.

Regarding WF dropping considerably in admissions from BP being the reason though... Nah... ESB dropped enormously in admissions from ANH too, no? Like maybe even or definitely more so than WF down from BP I think.