Eric Prime

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

movies do not have the same cultural cache among the youths there is no "this generations star wars". nothing comparable at all.

If you're comparing it to the original star wars box office literally everything in history doesnt compare so...no shit?

Just now, SpiderByte said:

If you're comparing it to the original star wars box office literally everything in history doesnt compare so...no shit?

He's not comparing it box office wise, kids these days really are less and less interested in traditional media like TV and movies. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

you have a real gift for misinterpretation i must say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

movies do not have the same cultural cache among the youths there is no "this generations star wars". nothing comparable at all.

This is the correct take IMO.

There was a long time when one to two movies per year were THE film of that year. There will be no equivalent era any longer to that even when it comes to megahits like Avatar, Top Gun Maverick and Mario.

Those films will never define an entire Summer or Winter in the way that Jaws, Star Wars, ET or even something more recent like Jurassic Park or Lion King did. The last film that will likely ever have that feel is Titanic. Yes there are things like HP, the newer Star Wars, Avatar and so on that do those kinds of pure numbers, but they didn't have the cultural domination  - the period of cultural monopoly - because the opportunity is simply not there to do that any more. TV has a different place in society to what it did then, and of course computer games and social media even more so. If you wanted to ignore Avatar: War of Water, for instance, you could do so. The average person was not exposed to it relentlessly, in an all-pervading way through culture for months, the way that we were the original Jurassic Park. 

As someone's pointed out: Minecraft and Stardew Valley or, heck, just the existence of TikTok are closer to "this generation's Star Wars" than any movie.

That it not to say films and franchises won't have an indelible impression on people. They will, of course they will.

Culture has just become too heterogenous for anything like that since Titanic - because internet, and especially Internet 2.0 prevented it and put conversations that happened in the lunch queue and the office cubicle into private internet forums. And that's a good thing on the whole to be honest. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 2

So Vol. 3 is looking at 115M+ OW DOM? Not ideal but given two weeks ago it was tracking at 90M to 100M OW DOM, not horrible. Hopefully it somehow legs it out to 300M+ DOM. Would need a 2.6x OW DOM to get there. That seems reasonable. With a slightly better multiplier could get to just above/below Ragnarok's DOM TOTAL (315M DOM).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

This is the correct take IMO.

There was a long time when one to two movies per year were THE film of that year. There will be no equivalent era any longer to that even when it comes to megahits like Avatar, Top Gun Maverick and Mario.

Those films will never define an entire Summer or Winter in the way that Jaws, Star Wars, ET or even something more recent like Jurassic Park or Lion King did. The last film that will likely ever have that feel is Titanic. Yes there are things like HP, the newer Star Wars, Avatar and so on that do those kinds of pure numbers, but they didn't have the cultural domination  - the period of cultural monopoly - because the opportunity is simply not there to do that any more. TV has a different place in society to what it did then, and of course computer games and social media even more so. If you wanted to ignore Avatar: War of Water, for instance, you could do so. The average person was not exposed to it relentlessly, in an all-pervading way through culture for months, the way that we were the original Jurassic Park. 

As someone's pointed out: Minecraft and Stardew Valley or, heck, just the existence of TikTok are closer to "this generation's Star Wars" than any movie.

Culture has just become to heterogenous. And that's a good thing on the whole to be honest.

I'd say that Infinity War followed by Endgame were that dominant. As big as Black Panther and Captain Marvel were you could argue that each was boosted by an Avengers film coming directly after.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'd say the closest thing recently to SW would be HP but that ended in 2011. 

You wouldn't think it in the UK 😅 the newest money laundering operation in London has become Harry Potter merch stores, following on from American candy stores and London merch stores

• Haha 1

I see the Letterboxd rating for GotG3 is holding strong with a 4.21 out of 5.0 with just about 150K users rating it. I imagine, similar to The Batman, it'll settle at 4.0 eventually when the number of ratings climbs to near 1M. Not bad. I'll admit, I definitely like a lot about Vol. 3 but I'm surprised it's rated so highly. For as awesome as the creature and worlds look, a lot of the story beats make sense on paper but are hurried through and somewhat unearned in the movie. But, only Gore Verbinski in recent years made enormously budgeted blockbuster this gleefully grotesque and weird. That very refreshing about it.

9 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

You wouldn't think it in the UK 😅 the newest money laundering operation in London has become Harry Potter merch stores, following on from American candy stores and London merch stores

They put one of those Potter stores here in Times Square recently, which is just hilarious to me. Like at this point, every Potter fan I know bought a wand at Universal? How much more do you need?????

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'd say that Infinity War followed by Endgame were that dominant. As big as Black Panther and Captain Marvel were you could argue that each was boosted by an Avengers film coming directly after.

Jurassic Park had 6 weeks at number one and 4 at number two in its year of release. It was in the top 5 for the entirety of the summer months (14 weeks) and then got reexpanded in November and went back to the top. It had 23 weekends of over $1m.

Do we even need to give the ET stats? Over a dozen weeks of number 1 and in the Top 5 from June to December.

Endgame had 3 weeks at number one and 1 at number two. It was out of the top 5 in 6 weeks. 14 weekends over $1m.

Infinity War had the same stats as Endgame except it was 7 weeks in the top 5.

It's not culturally equivalent and it couldn't be. It does the numbers, but the longevity of cultural dominance is simply not on offer any more. And, again, I think that's a good thing - we are in a much less culturally homogenous world.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

They put one of those Potter stores here in Times Square recently, which is just hilarious to me. Like at this point, every Potter fan I know bought a wand at Universal? How much more do you need?????

Dunno about NY, but in London it's about scamming the giant number of non British tourists that come over. It's actually cheaper to buy the merch at The Cursed Child than in these potter stores.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Jurassic Park had 6 weeks at number one and 4 at number two in its year of release. It was in the top 5 for the entirety of the summer months (14 weeks) and then got reexpanded in November and went back to the top. It had 23 weekends of over $1m.

Do we even need to give the ET stats? Over a dozen weeks of number 1 and in the Top 5 from June to December.

Endgame had 3 weeks at number one and 1 at number two. It was out of the top 5 in 6 weeks. 14 weekends over $1m.

Infinity War had the same stats as Endgame except it was 7 weeks in the top 5.

It's not culturally equivalent and it couldn't be. It does the numbers, but the longevity of cultural dominance is simply not on offer any more. And, again, I think that's a good thing - we are in a much less culturally homogenous world.

Oh, yeah, it's saying was a Jaws, ET, Jurassic Park level phenomenon but they were the closest to it since Potter with IW and EG. Just a different version of it. I'd say Pirates was like that too with the Verbinski ones.