Eric Prime

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

1 hour ago, Sckathian said:

I think people are putting their own feelings onto kids. If BP was the new SW for a new generation it wouldn’t have dropped for BP2.

Also Mark Hamill didn’t tragically pass away before Empire. Can’t overlook how not having the titular character return for the sequel - and by necessity having to incorporate that absence into the story - deflated anticipation and limited potential 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Dunno about NY, but in London it's about scamming the giant number of non British tourists that come over. It's actually cheaper to buy the merch at The Cursed Child than in these potter stores.

That's some Harold Hill shit lmao

12 minutes ago, M37 said:

Also Mark Hamill didn’t tragically pass away before Empire. Can’t overlook how not having the titular character return for the sequel - and by necessity having to incorporate that absence into the story - deflated anticipation and limited potential 

The movie itself being so miserable and depressing didn't help at all, hence the mediocre 2,5 multiplier despite audience scores which should have led it to a much higher one. The World Cup also crippled it internationally.

17 minutes ago, M37 said:

Hamill actually almost did die in a car accident shortly before the first movie finished filming. It’s weird to think how different the rest of the saga would have been if he hadn’t survived.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, M37 said:

I think BP2 did quite well considering it didnt have its main star and had to be totally remade. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Darth Homer said:

Hamill actually almost did die in a car accident shortly before the first movie finished filming. It’s weird to think how different the rest of the saga would have been if he hadn’t survived.

i think back in those days they wouldn't have been shy about just straight up recasting it.

• Like 1

I mean even if Chadwick was still with us, Black Panther 2's box office would probably be the same? Like the first Black Panther had a major novelty factor and hype that you can't replicate in a sequel. It was always going to drop. Its drop was no different than a Chamber of Secrets or Lost World or whatever

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The movie itself being so miserable and depressing didn't help at all, hence the mediocre 2,5 multiplier despite audience scores which should have led it to a much higher one. The World Cup also crippled it internationally.

No offense, but if Black Panther 2's considered "too depressing", then most people have simply not seen enough depressing movies.

• Like 14
  • Heart 1

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

A combination of various factors like the second film not aging well, it being 6 long years since said second film, Peter Quill's poor showing in Infinity War, and GotG3 being the first MCU film to follow Quantumania, so it has the thankless task of building back some lost goodwill.

Maybe it would have opened bigger with an RT score in the 90s

I mostly agree with this, (second film not again well withstanding).

I think it getting canceled, then not canceled, then delayed, did a lot of damage to the hype and excitement. Feels similar to Black Widow. That film in 2020 directly post Endgame would’ve hit so much different than whenever the hell is was released later when it just felt like a non-event. 

This kind of had the non-event end of the road feel to it. 

I would also add in that COVID and Disney+ eroded a lot of the audience. And they’re not doing anything to really retrain people to go back to the movies.

I also wouldn’t underestimate the marketing of this is the end of the Guardians and any one of them could die vibes. There are some fans that probably have no interest in watching that, or would want to watch that in a very controlled environment of their home.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

No offense, but if Black Panther 2's considered "too depressing", then most people have simply not seen enough depressing movies.

i like a lot of movies that make me feel like shit but a lot of people just don't want to be depressed by movies at all, which is fine. especially in this case where the film is consistently reminding them of a real guy that died, who they might feel some connection to. that metatextual element can make it hit deeper than movies that are just a barrage of misery like Requiem for a Dream or whatever. 

• Like 7

I've felt the marketing should've been more clear this was the Guardians' final adventure. The trailers just seemed like another film in the franchise. I would've named this "Guardians of the Galaxy: Final Vol" to be on the safe side. 

2 hours ago, M37 said:

I had forgotten about that!  It was that every April/May MCU release since Avengers finished with a final DOM total less than 10x its opening Sunday, and all but one falling in the 9.5 - 10x range (the one exception being AOU, where the Pacquiao fight pushed enough business from Sat to Sun that the ratio was only 9.12x). Basically, whether it opened big with weak WOM (CACW) or smaller with good WOM (GOTG2), the Sunday value in isolation was enough to project the final total

MoM actually broke that streak at 10.58x, but that really had more to do with just how frontloaded the OW weekend was, Sunday accounting for just 20% of it rather than the ~25% standard, than any thing to do with legs after opening Sunday & Weekend

Guardians doesn't have that big Thur/Fri already banked, so a $300M+ total probably needs a $30M+ (-23%) Sunday ...

Knowing myself I’m sure I objected that postSun/Sun was a more meaningful ratio and did some calculation related to that, perhaps in relation to sun/sat or sun/TFri holds. If I can’t find it in the DS2 thread I’ll just run it wholesale tonight.

Anyway yeah, if any movie is “this generations Star Wars” you probably have to pick Avengers, but I think “‘this generation’s Star Wars’ is not a movie/doesn’t exist at all” is more correct.

• Like 4

I'd say MCU as a whole absolutely has the cultural impact of SW and then some. Especially Avengers movies. They are gigantic OS in a way that SW isn't (it's big in old markets but failed in expanding ones). However, as for individual MCU movies and movie series? Only Avengers. I understand that Americans have skewed view of BP franchise and think it's a thing everywhere but believe me it isn't. It's like Peele movies. Outside of US people don't get the appeal or think it's nothing special. 

I don't think that BPWF would have retained all of BP audience with Boseman either. Sure, female lead hurt - lets not pretend that fans didn't want a male lead and there's nothing wrong with that since the story has always been written for a male character - sequels to movies that maxed out tend to drop, first movie's dom/OS ratio that skewed dom implied that there wouldn't be a growth OS but decline and the story they chose wasn't nearly as engaging as family drama of the first movie. BPWF was always poised to be just a sequel and not a repeat of an American cultural phenomenon cause the first movie was obviously one and done in that respect. So not the next SW but no one here ever said that their opinion was general public opinion. They specifified it was their bias. 

Edited by Valonqar