The Wild Eric

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Superhero movies outside of Spider-Man/Batman might have to start slashing budgets by 50 million or more 

The new DC regime should definitely consider doing so for a couple of years until audiences have regained confidence in the genre.

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

isn’t it taking advantage of holidays in many overseas markets?

A few, but the jumps are still way better than usual.

It was in the path for 120M few days ago but it’s increasing 10M each day and now trying +160 (and honestly depending on SAT i bet it can get closer to 170). 

Holidays alone in some countries don’t justify opening 50M above tracking, WOM does. Unless Fast X impact is extremelly hard, second weekend should be big and will recover after Fast X impact on 3rd weekend. Anything from 430 to 480M for Guardians are reasonable with ~170M opening and this WOM.

Still, i wouldn’t say 800M is likely (but is possible, it depends if WOM will have a similar effect DOM). 750M seems the goal for me tho.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

Guardians number basically falls under "it is what it is" territory: a notable drop-off from the previous movie but not as rough as it appeared to be weeks ago. As I mentioned in the tracking thread days ago I never understood the expectations that it would grow from the last one.

Too bad to see big drops across the board (along with a pathetic but expected small opening from the counterprogramming attempt) but that's what happens when one movie takes up most of the oxygen in the marketplace. Get ready for another 3 months of feast or famine.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, John Marston said:

yeah the way holdovers are acting anytime something that opens moderately big opens is not good. Spider-Verse for example is going to be hit hard by nonstop competition. 

The March films had big second weekend drops because they were back to back, before most of them eventually stabilised.

I think this summer will be the same. We’ll be seeing a lot of -60% second weekend drops as they’ll all be one week wonders on PLFs. 

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

If Gunn wasn't fired and Guardians 3 was the first movie post Endgame as planned (and of course Covid), this movie should have been an easy 200M opener.

One variable is how the firing of Gunn (pun unintended) brought the cast closer together and gave Gunn some creative motivation since he had something to prove.

He didn't just want a paycheck. He wanted redemption. So he probably made a better movie.

• Thanks 1

I gotta say. Forcing Captain Marvel to be the leader in Endgame would've been a huge mistake.

The fans were attached to RDJ because he carried the franchise since day one and has tons of charisma.

I wasn't against Brie having a bigger role but every major character needed some limelight. There wasn't alot of time to spare.

1 minute ago, DisposedData said:

It had a day and date release. I think it's in for a big increase for sure.

Many OS markets were released 1 month before day and date release. Increase is coming but 750M would be insane. It´s losing PFL´s after one week, and after that the schedule is packed. I´m thinking more like 600M

• Like 4