charlie Jatinder

Weekdays (8-11 May, 2023) Thread.

7.1M is solid, but unsurprising. Kind of expected drop (-36%), slightly better than Guardians 2 (37.8%).

Possible scenarios: 

If Thursday drops 10% (same as MOM) - 6.4M

If Thursday drops 5% (same as GotG2) - 6.75M

Friday increase should be between 110-130%. So 13.5M - 15.5M range.

Saturday increase should be between 55-70%. So 21M - 26.3M range.

Sunday drop should be between 25-35%. So 13.7M - 19.7M range.

Minimum. 48M

Maximum. 61.5M

Middle ground. 55M

Fan movies bring out toxic thoughts if you go against the grain.  See my taste in movies over my DnD thoughts just last month:).

There is nothing wrong with saying GOTG 3 was gonna open low - it did.  And it did take a great movie to even save its open, when folks were $175M+ and over Dr Strange Mom right before presale start.  Like we have all those posts.  And some of them from early Feb were mine, when I said about equal to MoM DOM.  

I mean, if looked at that way, $80M (as the farthest range number) was a MUCH closer guess than $175M+ for the open - and $105M was only $14M away...so you know what they say about stones and glass houses...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

If GOTG3 actually managed to open to more than its predecessor, I don’t think we’d have as many people playing defence. That’s when people get upset or annoyed. Especially with these kind of films.

But the film is doing well. Not as big as some assumed when it was dated and then not as bad as we assumed during tracking. 

100 percent

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Fan movies bring out toxic thoughts if you go against the grain.  See my taste in movies over my DnD thoughts just last month:).

There is nothing wrong with saying GOTG 3 was gonna open low - it did.  And it did take a great movie to even save its open, when folks were $175M+ and over Dr Strange Mom right before presale start.  Like we have all those posts.  And some of them from early Feb were mine, when I said about equal to MoM DOM.  

I mean, if looked at that way, $80M (as the farthest range number) was a MUCH closer guess than $175M+ for the open - and $105M was only $14M away...so you know what they say about stones and glass houses...

Great post! In particular the highlighted parts but the post in general sums it up. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am told Fast X is better than last three but it does end abruptly 

Hopefully it's not like Desolation of Smaug where they basically cut the ending of the movie off and stitch it to the beginning of the next one.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Hopefully it's not like Desolation of Smaug where they basically cut the ending of the movie off and stitch it to the beginning of the next one.

This was my first thought. Not a smart decision by Peter Jackson. Also Matrix Reloaded ending was so abrupt and unsatisfying.

10 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

That good?

Well, if it follows GOTG Vol. 2 daily pattern from a $7M Wednesday into the weekend, it will make about $60.8M (-48.7%). A very strong drop, if so (would be one of the best drops for a $100M+ opener). But it remains to be seen if it will follow that pattern.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Call him/her on their bluff.

7 is the pinnacle of this franchise, they aren't going better. 

I would argue 5 was the peak and 6&7 just built off that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DisposedData said:

Reddit turned on Empire and Jatinder like crazy this week, so I'm not surprised he turned all his attention to them with this lol.

Well, r/boxoffice has become very anti-marvel/CBM 

so encouraging data is seen as “fanboyism” 

it’s a clown show over there 

• Like 1