charlie Jatinder

Weekdays (8-11 May, 2023) Thread.

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Don't video games release on Tuesdays, traditionally?

Not really. Can be any day of the week. Street Fighter 6 is also going to be a Friday release.

2 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

The Game of Thrones finale is like an hour. People will be playing Zelda all weekend.

You can also pause Zelda and take like a 2 hour break to go see a movie. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm going to be honest and say no. Not by too much. @ViewerAnon alluded to it being worse than F9 and not even having a real ending, which I doubt the average Joe will be receptive to. There will be some impact on its opening weekend, but I imagine Guardians 3 will stabilize again afterwards.

We'll see how it shakes out but Universal had a lot of trouble at test screenings because audiences weren't aware it was a Part 1 of 2 situation and the ending consistently got terrible scores because of it. I don't think marketing has done a great job of setting people up for an abrupt cliffhanger either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

We have no way of knowing how a mass video game event does or doesn’t affect box office. All I’ll say is that no movie is going to sell in DOM tix in a weekend this year what this game sells this weekend. That I will bet on.

Also, plenty of people here being wildly out of touch with the gaming community is partly why Mario got so lowballed in predictions here. Just saying. 

Just based on the demographics I have seen at movie theaters, it is not the hardcore gaming community that is powering Mario. Kids who are familiar with the characters? Sure. Parents who played the games as kids and are taking their kids for a nostalgia trip? Sure.  But actual "gamers" is a SMALL demographic that's going to see this movie.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Is there any chance part 2 doesn´t get made if Fast X flops?

I feel like it would have to not even make its budget back in order for that to happen. I can see Universal making it at a much lower budget than usual (like Fast 4 and 5 money) if it flops though.

• Like 1

Also the idea of a video game hurting box office has the same vibes as when people were wondering if Game of Thrones would ding Endgame's opening. If people want to see a movie and play a game during the same weekend, they can just modify their schedule so they can do both. This isn't like a football game where you have to watch it at a very specfic time. It is very easy to slot both things in one weekend and not worry about any profits lost at the box office.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

Also the idea of a video game hurting box office has the same vibes as when people were wondering if Game of Thrones would ding Endgame's opening. If people want to see a movie and play a game during the same weekend, they can just modify their schedule so they can do both. This isn't like a football game where you have to watch it at a very specfic time. It is very easy to slot both things in one weekend and not worry about any profits lost at the box office.

Tbeh the only reason I feel like it got brought up is said person who brought it up seems to really really want GoTG Vol 3 to not have good legs I guess.

• Haha 1

The funniest thing from the old days somebody on box office mojo made a whole thread to discuss the LOST finale's impact on the box office that weekend. feel like this stuff is always just brought up by fanboys who wanna talk about their thing.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Tbeh the only reason I feel like it got brought up is said person who brought it up seems to really really want GoTG Vol 3 to not have good legs I guess.

I mean it's more like Coolio said where it's probably just people being nerdy and hyping up the thing they are looking forward to. Which I mean...hey! I'm nerdy. I like to hype up things I like. I empathize with those sentiments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OceanBlvd said:

Zelda costs 70$ a pop at 15 million copies. That’s over a billion actually (1.050.000.000$ to be precise 🤓). That’s not even counting the collectors edition which retails for $129.99 a pop.

15 million in 3 days would be biggest game launch of all time. That’s nuts. Even Animal Crossing in the midst of the pandemic couldn’t do that. I think 10+ million in the first 3 days (weekend) is a safer bet.

I was putting it into the equivalent of movie ticket prices though. 15 million tix would likely be somewhere in the ballpark of a 200m OW with current ticket price and 3D/PLF inflation. 

And Pokémon sold 10 mil in its first 3 days this past November, despite being an extremely broken game that was well publicized to have these issues pre-launch. Zelda is getting the best reviews since - well Breath of the Wild in 2017. And that game is a phenomenon that has sold huge for 6 years straight. Id give it no chance it does under 12m for the first 3 days. 

It may impact a bit, but it's not like 10 million people buying a game is that much. It will be such a small difference if it indeed impacts that it probably won't be quite enough to correlate it with certainty to the release. It's not really comparable to 100 million watching a game of football or such.

2 hours ago, OceanBlvd said:

Hogwarts didn’t do 850M over the weekend lol. That’s two weeks after launch. I don’t think Zelda will do 15 million in 3-days lol. 10 million+ would already be huge for Zelda/the whole damn industry.

You have to remember what Breath of the Wild has done in the industry. Consider it has sold more copies than ANY Pokémon game ever, aka the most successful media franchise of all time. This is a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild and they have been very clear to market that. It’s not just another Zelda game. It is also currently one of the best reviewed games of all time, just like its predecessor, so there’s that too. 

28 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

Endgame had a must watch which over powered even GOT finale. I would not compare that with any movie even if the impact is smaller than GOT finale itself was.