Eric Loves Rey

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

“It’s called canon” was such a simple yet brilliant explanation. Loved that. 

Iman about to take a picture like the Flash meme over Kevin’s grave at that: “Doctor Strange in Earth 19999” remark 😅

Anyway, this is astonishing. I wanted a remote, so that I could pause every frame and stare at it. Just astonishing.

Quite possibly the best theatre experience I've ever had. I can't think of anything that comes remotely close. As a huge anime/animation fan this was beyond my highest expectations and is easily the best film visually I've ever seen (sorry dad). This goes immediately into my top 3 animated movies alongside End of Evangelion and Spirited Away.

I don't understand how people can complain about the cliffhanger, are people not excited at the prospect of getting to see another 2+ hours of this???

Final note: the OST is exceptional, I fucking love high tempo synth shit and when you compliment it with 150 minutes of sakuga my mind goes into overdrive.

This is a slight step down from Into the Spider-Verse (one of the best and most delightfully surprising movies of the last several years IMO) but it's a highly worthy follow-up that manages to improve upon the original in a couple of aspects (loved the entire Spider-Gwen opening and the rich material given to Hailee Steinfeld). It's definitely a much more ambitious sequel (running an astounding 140 minutes, the longest ever for a Hollywood-produced animated film I believe?) and the fact it's only half a film means that it ultimately ends up feeling incomplete until next year's Beyond the Spider-Verse arrives. But it's a feast for the eyes throughout that also manages to be emotionally engaging too. Superhero movies (and animated movies) can be works of art!

This is one of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen, and I thought it was a hoot that they weren't afraid to dabble in live-action elements to boot. I dug that they acknowledged the previous Sony live-action Spider-Man movies as part of the multiverse canon and was so happy I wasn't spoiled about the Donald Glover cameo beforehand lmao (I wish Mrs. Chen from the Venom movies making an appearance hadn't been given away in the marketing because that was one of my favorite parts).

It's another exciting, clever adventure that might actually improve in quality once the conclusion arrives in about 10 months. It's gonna be a long wait.

A-

• Like 1

I started liking it as much as Into the Spiderverse but as soon as the Spider Society was introuduced, the movie started to lose me a bit with all the exposition and fan-service.
Still a good movie, and hopefully Beyond pays off.

7.5/10

• Like 1

Even by part 1 standard, the movie ending is still too abrupt. Most of the "part" story ended where the plot took a rest but SV2 ended in the middle of an exciting build-up and therefore left a unsatisfying closure for me when I walked out from theater. I still prefer the 1st movie, this one felt like more like a well-made fan movie. 

• Like 1

I feel there was an orphaned plot line that had a ghost of a presence left in the movie --

Spoiler

Basically Miles going "everyone's trying to write my story, but I know who I am", where he, internally, didn't seem to have those doubts about who he is. The plot was about finding people like him that were shutting him out for ... reasons.

The rest of the movie is quite enjoyable, but uneven, and too long. The original is my favorite movie period, and I had my expectations tempered over this one, so I"m not surprised it didn't 100% stick for me. I definitely need a rewatch because I could have easily missed something.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 6:58 PM, Grebacio said:

I started liking it as much as Into the Spiderverse but as soon as the Spider Society was introuduced, the movie started to lose me a bit with all the exposition and fan-service.
Still a good movie, and hopefully Beyond pays off.

7.5/10

This is pretty much how I feel. It just kind of goes off the rails and never quite finds its footing again.

I think the first one had a story that's more immediate, easier to get into. This one has a very long setup, but once they start hopping universes the movie becomes genuinely thrilling. My edible starting kicking in hard during the India sequence and I was just sucked in. The whole thing is such a gorgeously crafted love letter to animation that it's impossible not to love.

• Like 1

Faced with having to follow one of the most surprising and dynamic mainstream animated films in recent memory, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse more than rises to the occasion. This sequel takes even bigger, bolder swings than its predecessor – no easy feat considering how many chances that film took with its style and setting – and delivers a viewing experience so engaging and exhilarating that its 140-minute running time flies by. After a show-stopping prologue that stretches across 20 minutes or thereabouts, the main storyline successfully builds upon the character relationships, emotional arcs, and universe rules established in the first film by taking each component to fresh places that feel like an organic continuation of the ideas established before. The continued character growth of Miles Morales remains compelling and dives into new ideas surrounding identity and destiny that feel impressively weighty while coexisting with plenty of well-pitched humor. There’s also quite a bit of expansion of Gwen Stacy’s narrative, complete with numerous moments whose emotional impact hits on the same level as peak Pixar. Beyond the impressive character work, the animation is a stunning mix of styles that never fails to amaze. (For me, the highlight was the dreamy mix of watercolor blues, pinks, and whites in Gwen’s universe.) There will certainly be viewers who walk away dissatisfied with the fact that this film is very clearly a “Part 1” of an even larger story, but the filmmakers handle the story beats so well that it still feels like a complete and satisfying experience, while also teasing elements of the next film with such panache that it’s hard not to exit the theater amped for what lies ahead. Across the Spider-Verse is so ambitious and so packed with compelling ideas, astonishing feats of action-driven animation, and clever visual touches that it practically demands repeat viewings, and I’m excited to continue to unpack this film further on subsequent viewings. For my money, it’s even better than the original, and feels certain to be at the head of this year’s animation and popcorn blockbuster classes alike. 

A

• Like 2

Finally got a chance to see this Sunday and it did not disappoint. Based on all the commentary I went in with high expectations (which is usually a bad idea) and for once the movie lived up to them and more. It’s a visual feast with a strong story and great performances. What more can you want? If I was bummed by anything it was that it ended. Not *how* it ended, but that it ended; I wanted Beyond to start right then, despite having spent almost three hours in the theater already. So 10/10, will see again, can’t wait for the final installerment.

Saw it this past weekend and I have seen the face of god. Genuinely floored with this one; felt like I was watching cinema history unfold in my very eyes. Game changing stuff here in terms of it's animation and it's general feel, especially since it feels nothing like every other animated film on the market right now. Feels more indebted to the work of Masaaki Yuasa or Don Hertzfeld then any mainstream family film. Once the opening sequence started with Gwen on the drums I knew I was in for something truly special. And that's only the prologue!

Lots have been said by others about how this is clearly a part one but I don't mind in the slightest. Outside of it just being a killer cliffhanger (Daniel Pemberton's score aids a lot in this, what a soundtrack!) all of the major characters arcs are given an ending, particularly Gwen who feels like a fully fleshed out protagonist in her own right here. Oscar Isaac and Daniel Kaluuya were easy standouts here. Easily one of my favourites of the years so far, and might be my favourite superhero movie since the last Spider-Verse when all is said and done. Incredible film.

• Like 3

Into the Spider-Verse is a film that just gets better on every subsequent rewatch, but I think the opposite will happen to

Across the Spider-Verse. It takes a bit to get going, but once it gets going it really gets going. A tour de force of the superhero blockbuster, even if I prefer Into the Spider-Verse for its tighter story, plot, and abundance of wow-factor moments.