kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

But why?

They'll flashback to the moment of Mufasa's death in a sequel to show he actually survived thanks to hologram technology and Mufasa and Scar will make amends and become family again (yes Scar also survived as the sequels will show).

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

7 hours ago, mmed1345 said:

I will not tolerate Metro Boomin slander 

I can't stand that he shouts "METROOOO" in every single of the tracks, but other than that, the album is complete fire. Been listening "Am I Dreamin" and "Calling" since Friday on repeat.

2 hours ago, Eric 2099 said:

Re: TLM merchandise

I work at Target and while I don't know any specifics, our Little Mermaid toys and merch do seem to be selling a lot. The shelves dedicated to it are frequently empty, while the ones for the new Transformers, Guardians 3, even Spider-Verse are still relatively full. It does seem like the merch is a big deal, and Disney Princess has always been a hot commodity since day 1.

I don't doubt that TLM sells well merch but what sounds big ends up being small when it comes to profit margins on it. $100m merch, which already is a lot for a single movie that isn't a franchise, will bring that $10m or so. $200m -> $20m, etc. A huge merch sales like a billion will bring that big profit of $100m and so but we're not talking sums like that with TLM.

Though maybe this points to promising DVD and BR sales which tend to be good with these Disney remakes. That and the merch combined could save the film from loss if the BO ends up way below $600m.

Another question is how much TLM overestimated merc and DVD/BR sales if they planned for $1B BO. Worst case you end up selling inventory heavily discounted prices and eat up overall margins. Maybe we know better when the dust settles down in 6 months or so.

With franchises the merch is a great way to market the brand and keep it top of mind and bring in even new people. Especially with omni brands that have games and other stuff that people can consume daily. Angry Birds is an example of this.

20 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

They'll flashback to the moment of Mufasa's death in a sequel to show he actually survived thanks to hologram technology and Mufasa and Scar will make amends and become family again (yes Scar also survived as the sequels will show).

F9 moment lmfao

3 hours ago, eddyxx said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952lar9r9xeddqo3f67wm

They want some of that Smile, Megan, Evil dead type horror profit...sadly for them, they cant market a horror film to save their lives

We are spoilt looking at fine grained data for presales. Tue/wed numbers did excite a lot. But overall its excellent for Spiderverse. I am amazed its so well received considering the way the movie ends. Still I thought it was visually one of the best animated movies ever seen. I think you can lock up Best Animated award for sure. Looking at how Sunday is going, I am fairly confident the estimates will hold. With summer weekdays ahead and strong audience reactions, its definitely going for 400m domestic. 2nd weekend hold will tell the tale for sure. 

Mermaid had a solid hold considering how big Spiderverse opened to. Its international hold is especially impressive. That said its at ~186m after a 40.6m 2nd weekend. It needs couple of uber strong holds to get to 300m. I think it will get there but barely. 

Another Solid hold for Guardians coming after a long weekend. Probably finishing around ~350m. Impressive finish from its OW.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It'll be interesting to see if ATSV behaves more like a traditional CBM or like a traditional summer animated/family movie. I am guessing more like the latter but not quite like the leggiest animated. Maybe a 3.5-3.7 multiplier?

Kinda off-topic, but I just got into an "argument" with somebody on Letterboxd after they called me a homophobe and toxic mysoginist or some shit for liking Puss in Boots: The Last Wish more than Across the Spiderverse lol.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 2

30 minutes ago, jedijake said:

It'll be interesting to see if ATSV behaves more like a traditional CBM or like a traditional summer animated/family movie. I am guessing more like the latter but not quite like the leggiest animated. Maybe a 3.5-3.7 multiplier?

I'd expect to behave similar to Incredibles 2 in terms of multiplier. That said, didn't Incredibles did 18.5M Thursday previews for an eventual 182.7M OW DOM. Spider Verse did 17.4M Thursday previews for a 120.5M OW DOM. So maybe more like a CBM than Incredibles 2?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'd expect to behave similar to Incredibles 2 in terms of multiplier. That said, didn't Incredibles did 18.5M Thursday previews for an eventual 182.7M OW DOM. Spider Verse did 17.4M Thursday previews for a 120.5M OW DOM. So maybe more like a CBM than Incredibles 2?

Incredibles 2 opened SO high that its multiplier was slightly muted from what it would otherwise have been. It had a 3.35 multiplier (which is outstanding for a movie that opened over $180 m). I remember the same question came up for that one since it seemed to open like an Avengers movie at the time.

35 minutes ago, Austin said:

Kinda off-topic, but I just got into an "argument" with somebody on Letterboxd after they called me a homophobe and toxic mysoginist or some shit for liking Puss in Boots: The Last Wish more than Across the Spiderverse lol.

Letterboxd moment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Incredibles 2 opened SO high that its multiplier was slightly muted from what it would otherwise have been. It had a 3.35 multiplier (which is outstanding for a movie that opened over $180 m). I remember the same question came up for that one since it seemed to open like an Avengers movie at the time.

I agree with this but isn't it possible that that maybe happened with AtSV too? We still don't know what this series can peak at... Maybe it has insane legs. I'm thinking 400M+ DOM. Or, maybe it capped off a lot of audience opening weekend and it has a lower ceiling that we realize? We'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I agree with this but isn't it possible that that maybe happened with AtSV too? We still don't know what this series can peak at... Maybe it has insane legs. I'm thinking 400M+ DOM. Or, maybe it capped off a lot of audience opening weekend and it has a lower ceiling that we realize? We'll just have to wait and see.

I think that Beyond the Spiderverse could do Mario numbers next year. The hype seems to be there and BTSV could be the Engame to ATSV's Infinity War. Of course, there's a HIGH probability that it won't be the #1 movie next year due to a little project known as Avatar 3.

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I think that Beyond the Spiderverse could do Mario numbers next year. The hype seems to be there and BTSV could be the Engame to ATSV's Infinity War. Of course, there's a HIGH probability that it won't be the #1 movie next year due to a little project known as Avatar 3.

It could. But, then again, we'll have to see what the ceiling is... If AtSV just over 400M DOM, I don't see the next one having a 180M increase. 

• Like 2