Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Transformers $25.6M FRI

35 minutes ago, TMP said:

TF going so high makes me think The Meg 2 could actually do pretty well...

It’s been my sleeper August hit pick for a while now. Monster movies, if they’re at least decent, can almost always grab a solid OW. After Flash, the film slate skews a little older and/or whiter, not even a big horror/thriller, so I also expect some pent up demand by then 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

There is a lot of nostalgia from younger people over the transformers movies.

Optimus Prime at the end of the movie looking into the Sunset, Giving some random inspiring speech and Linkin Park singing "What I've donnnnneeeee"

Good times, good times 😅

I rewatched the first movie and it still holds up as a great summer blockbuster film. 

The "if it was made on 2007" meme did more marketing for this movie than Paramount ever did. 

(Yes, I'm obviously exaggerating. But still).

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

There is a lot of nostalgia from younger people over the transformers movies.

Optimus Prime at the end of the movie looking into the Sunset, Giving some random inspiring speech and Linkin Park singing "What I've donnnnneeeee"

Good times, good times 😅

I rewatched the first movie and it still holds up as a great summer blockbuster film. 

Transformers 1 is a classic, all-time great popcorn actioner. It was 5x as popular as iron Man - just compare the opening weekends of their sequels!

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Transformers 1 is a classic, all-time great popcorn actioner. It was 5x as popular as iron Man - just compare the opening weekends of their sequels!

I mean iron man is a classic on its own as its the starting point of the MCU

Transfromers was the suprise hit of 2007 that had 3 massive franchises that sort of dissapointed. Shrek 3, SPiderman 3 and Pirates 3.

TF was sort of different at that time and won the summer and year handily. 

57 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Three movies in a row with black and/or latino leads that underperform OS.

Coincidence?

In Transformers case, I don't think the race of the leads has so much impact, since the machines are the main attraction.

Edited by Kon

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Three movies in a row with black and/or latino leads that underperform OS.

Coincidence?

The most diverse Hollywood franchise bombed domestically a few weeks ago.

Edited by Bob Train

2 hours ago, AJG said:

Stuff like this is why I we should really stop worrying when a movie flops. We don't know if the films we call successes even made a profit.

Transformers was clearly profitable for the studio, otherwise they wouldn't make sequels. The twitter poster is one of the original writers who likely has a net profit participation, and, studios excel at playing accounting games to show that any movie is a money loser if it helps them get away with compensating people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

TF going so high makes me think The Meg 2 could actually do pretty well...

The Meg 2 will be the biggest movie of the summer.

31 minutes ago, M37 said:

It’s been my sleeper August hit pick for a while now. Monster movies, if they’re at least decent, can almost always grab a solid OW. After Flash, the film slate skews a little older and/or whiter, not even a big horror/thriller, so I also expect some pent up demand by then 

To be serious about this movie for a short moment, i could see it opening in the same range as the first one (40M ish). The concept of Jason Statham vs big sharks but with a 100M budget is not a bad pitch at all and the trailer did make it look like a really fun (or funny) ride. Late summer also lacks a really big movie which would suck up the oxygen so theres room for a smaller breakout.

The human characters cast are complete unknowns overseas. If they wanted better overseas performance, they would have cast actors who are popular overseas. But I guess they penny-pinched with that due to the movie being otherwise so expensive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Overseas has been muted for some time now for many movies.

Nothing really appealing out in the market place.

TLM is yet another Disney remake, with no really draw factors that made the other one so big

Spider-verse is a sequel to a movie that wasn't that big outside of America. 

Transformers is another entry in a dead franchise 

Edited by WorkingonaName