Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

In regards to the release date of dial of Destiny, I didn't really understand it at first. But now it makes all the sense in the world. You've got the film coming out the last weekend of June and that is going to coincide with two national holidays. You have the Canada Day Holiday which technically falls on Sunday but the entire country will have Monday off. I know Indiana Jones is big with families and with fathers and the older demographic like me will definitely be seeing it that weekend.

Then you have July 4th falling in the middle of the week and on a Wednesday specifically. That will probably be another good day or maybe even a good week for Indiana jones.

I know there's a lot of people here think it's going to tank, I'm not one of them. I was less excited about it when I found out Spielberg wasn't directing it. But the trailers have won me over. It looks and feels and sounds like an Indiana Jones movie. It's a throwback to a different era no doubt and maybe the youth of these days won't have any interest in it but there's still plenty of people out there who enjoy Indiana Jones and it's done well internationally every time it's come out. So the release date makes total sense to me and I'm becoming more and more optimistic not the chances of a good box office return.

• Like 6

My last post about Dial ofDestiny obviously is not taking into consideration the fact that the production budget is basically $300 million. I simply don't understand why it's so expensive or why they would allow the budget to get that high, it's really kind of mind-blowing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

My last post about Dial ofDestiny obviously is not taking into consideration the fact that the production budget is basically $300 million. I simply don't understand why it's so expensive or why they would allow the budget to get that high, it's really kind of mind-blowing.

Maybe it’s added cost over how much times the film has to start over during the pandemic? I remember Ford breaking his leg or something delaying the production too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Maybe it’s added cost over how much times the film has to start over during the pandemic? I remember Ford breaking his leg or something delaying the production too.

You're probably right, I had forgotten about that myself.

11 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Thank you! Some of those look a bit off (Transformers was confirmed as $195m I think, Flash we’ve heard $190-220m).

But that’s crazy, $750m is the minimum Indiana Jones and MI need to make just to break even. We’ll see how it goes.

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

A lot of that was attributed to Ford's weed. You didn't know that?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Thank you! Some of those look a bit off (Transformers was confirmed as $195m I think, Flash we’ve heard $190-220m).

But that’s crazy, $750m is the minimum Indiana Jones and MI need to make just to break even. We’ll see how it goes.

I'm not totally convinced that the budget for Indy was $300 million. Even if you were to add 100 million to that for marketing, what should be an underestimation in my view, you're talking a $400 million dollar budget which means like you said break Even is around $750 million. I mean what's the most they're hoping for? To break even or make 5 million dollars? Something seems off about that.

There's a former member here who works in the accounting department at Disney and he's actually responsible for sending out checks to some of the actors. I haven't spoken to him and probably a year or so but I'm going to see if I can get in touch with him and maybe get some clarification on these budgets at least the ones from disney.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

If your movie budget has a risk of going up by tens of millions of dollars because an EIGHTY year old man might break a bone doing risky stunts, that's simply poor planning

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

If your movie budget has a risk of going up by tens of millions of dollars because an EIGHTY year old man might break a bone doing risky stunts, that's simply poor planning

Well, it’s Harrison Ford. If he wants to make his own stunts he is going to make his own stunts. Try to say no to the man. Yes he is old, but it doesn’t mean that he wouldn’t be persuasive so things go his way. And yeah, I agree with @baumer, $300m seems like a very random number for Indy.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, baumer said:

In regards to the release date of dial of Destiny, I didn't really understand it at first. But now it makes all the sense in the world. You've got the film coming out the last weekend of June and that is going to coincide with two national holidays. You have the Canada Day Holiday which technically falls on Sunday but the entire country will have Monday off. I know Indiana Jones is big with families and with fathers and the older demographic like me will definitely be seeing it that weekend.

Then you have July 4th falling in the middle of the week and on a Wednesday specifically. That will probably be another good day or maybe even a good week for Indiana jones.

I know there's a lot of people here think it's going to tank, I'm not one of them. I was less excited about it when I found out Spielberg wasn't directing it. But the trailers have won me over. It looks and feels and sounds like an Indiana Jones movie. It's a throwback to a different era no doubt and maybe the youth of these days won't have any interest in it but there's still plenty of people out there who enjoy Indiana Jones and it's done well internationally every time it's come out. So the release date makes total sense to me and I'm becoming more and more optimistic not the chances of a good box office return.

The release date is exceptional. Summer days in full swing. I didn't even think about the holiday in Canada. 4th of July week tons and tons of people just take off work half the week or the entire week especially when the holiday falls mid week like it does this year.

If it can come in a bit higher than expected OW DOM (90M+ maybe) and has decent word of mouth, it could get to something like 250M+ DOM. What's the last movie that was like it that released in a summer blockbuster season? Jungle Cruise? I recall that doing relatively well especially given it was available on Disney+ right away and it was heavy COVID that summer. I kind of miss each summer having a classic adventure blockbuster a la Indy, Mummy, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, etc. There's an audience out there for them... I hope. I'm hoping Indy is able to do pretty well. Not just for Indy but because I'd like to see more throwback blockbusters in future summers. 

Feels right having a classic adventure serial (Indy) and a giant shark movie with dinosaurs and giant octopus (Meg) in the summer blockbuster season. Hoping each does well because it's nice to have variety. Maybe July will be a big recovery month? I could see Indy doing better than expected. Mission doing what those always do which would mean 250M to 300M DOM. Barbie breaking out a bit (275M+ DOM). Oppenheimer breaking out a bit (175M+ DOM). 

Is everyone writing off Haunted Mansion? Trailer looked fun but not seeing a ton of marketing for it. Maybe it's been a dud in the early screenings? Because that's one that one of those you never know maybe it gets decent return at the box office. Looks like a fun, family movie.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Do we know any of the MI inflated budget went toward production of Part 2? Dead Reckoning is a Part 1, right? Usually in these cases, little to none of it went into the next part but sometimes the budget goes toward it some.

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

@JohnnyGossamer I love that post. You said it beautifully

Not sure it'll ever be quite like it was but always nice to have a good variety at the summer box office. Only thing we're missing this summer is a big disaster epic. Those can be fun too. Supers rule the landscape but I look forward to some pull back there with a bit of fatigue showing. Thinking back to a year like 2015 at the summer box office... Age of Ultron, Pitch Perfect 2, Mad Max Fury Road, Tomorrowland, San Andreas, Spy, Jurassic World, Inside Out, Minions, Ant-Man, Trainwreck, Mission Impossible Rogue Nation, Straight Outta Compton... That's the variety I'm talking about. Hoping we can get back to that one day...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I just googled “Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning” budget and the top result is $290m. 

Is that correct? 

Indiana Jones is $295m. 

What is going on here lol. 

Mission we know was held up for a bit at the start of the pandemic and then amongst the first to get going again. But to retain that crew and pay them for all the time they weren’t shooting, and the shoot to go on as long as it did - no doubt cost an absolute fortune. Cruise made it happen though. 

I recall them being holed up in one country when they had to stop and he hired out a ship or something for them all to stay on? For weeks. Lol. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I kind of miss each summer having a classic adventure blockbuster a la Indy, Mummy, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, etc. There's an audience out there for them... I hope. I'm hoping Indy is able to do pretty well. Not just for Indy but because I'd like to see more throwback blockbusters in future summers. 

Couldn't agree more, I love most of these old timey adventures. I just don't think anyone will even try anymore unless it's a Pirates sequel or another Mummy reboot. Even Jungle Cruise only happened because of Rock's huge success with Jumanji.

• Like 1