Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Shockingly low Hispanic number imo

It really is, and not what I would have expected. Meg made $21M in Mexico, half of what JWD did that same summer (though 1/3 of OW). Seems off tbh …

Now that I have come to my senses.

What WB should have done:

-2013: MOS but better

-2014: Wonder Woman

-2014: Aquabro 

-2015: MOS 2

-2016: Flash

-2016: Batman

-2017: Suicide Squad

-2018: Justice League

What WB should do now: RIP Snyderverse everyone through 2027, MAYBE reintroduce Gadot and Momoa. And F'ING NAIL Superman and whatever other characters they opt to do.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I think that the market has changed. This is the new normal. How the studios will adapt, it’s up to them. We don’t really know how much a film is profitable to their parent companies anymore, between merch, streaming, PVOD and everything else. This is likely crossing $500m WW. I see it as an win.

Honestly, the "new normal" seems like an excuse. There are a good amount of movies who get more than $500 m WW.

Also, about the Japanese market, the highest-grossing Japanese movie in Japan was released in October 2020.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

At this rate, we’re gonna have Mission: Impossible 22, where Ethan Hunt’s craziest stunt is walking without a cane in the nursing home.

No reason this cant become a James Bond thing with new main every 4-5 films.

6 minutes ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

If we count it as a 4 day and get a really funny sun figure…

drops hard on the holiday monday and my guess in the estimate thread of 59.75mil turns out to be true for the 4-day not the 3-day

12 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

Fewer than 50 ratings. Not worth looking into yet.

I don’t think I’ve seen a movie rebound from a rotten verified score no matter how many people have voted. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

Do you think making $30 instead of $20 in Japan has some big impact on profitability?   

The DOM legs were good enough that it’ll be fine but still a pretty uninspiring ROI with the gross vs budget.

TLM total cost budget+theatrical & home entertainment marketing is $475M as per Deadline. It will make $280M in TV+digital and $250M+ in theatrical, so tell me how it was a bomb? It might not make profit after participations and residual cost of another $50-60M but its not a flop.

Just now, Kon said:

Honestly, the "new normal" seems like a poor excuse. There are a good amount of movies who get more than $500 m WW.

Also, about the Japanese market, the highest-grossing Japanese movie in Japan was released in October 2020.

It’s not about the pandemic. That has come and gone. The habits have changed, the competition that movie theaters have for people’s money is vast, there are just way too many options and most of them cheaper. And well, it seems like TLM is holding quite nicely to cross $500m. With a $250m budget and a shitload of merch, I’m not sure if I understand why some here think that Disney execs wouldn’t feel good about this one. 

2 minutes ago, Willowra said:

TLM total cost budget+theatrical & home entertainment marketing is $475M as per Deadline. It will make $280M in TV+digital and $250M+ in theatrical, so tell me how it was a bomb? It might not make profit after participations and residual cost of another $50-60M but its not a flop.

how the hell did TLM have a marketing budget of 225mil?

Lol at that Flash number. I guess Keatons involvement didnt have the desired effect.

I honestly thought this had a shot at 100mil OW a while ago. Having said that i find it hard to judge these DC movires knowing that they are pretty much pointless and redundant with the DC reboot. I still thought the Keaton nostalgia would of had a bigger effect though.

It will be interesting to see how Aquaman 2 does when the first film was such a big hit, while the sequel is stuck in that 'redundant' limbo like this film.

Also was this film stuck in development hell for years?, i'm only asking because i just read up on the main actors controversy the last few years, and how the hell did he headline this movie?.

1 minute ago, Willowra said:

Maybe The Flash will be a success when we include TV+Digital too, since we couldn't know that numbers either.

I really doubt the studio expected $600 m or less for the Little Mermaid. It will likely be considered a dissapointed (at least).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Also was this film stuck in development hell for years?, i'm only asking because i just read up on the main actors controversy the last few years, and how the hell did he headline this movie?.

Because Hollywood doesn't actually care about these things and it's all performative. You have Jessica Chastain SPAMMING Twitter about girl power and female rights etc etc then showing up to the premiere of this abusive pedo's movie grinning from ear to ear dressed to the nines. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kon said:

Maybe The Flash will be a success when we include TV+Digital too, since we couldn't know that numbers either.

No, we don't live in the era of physical media anymore which could turn box office flops into overall successes. It will be a big money loser even with all post-theatrical revenue.