Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

20 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

For those who wish to discuss all the Amber Heard/Depp trial and drama, we have a thread in the Real World section - 

I was almost tricked by the fact that the last post in that thread was exactly this day one year ago...

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Excuse me what in the absolute hell fuck is this?

CBMs and nerds are a MISTAKE 

Believe it or not this site covered all types of movies (and almost all Knowles reviews were like this. :o)

A NYT profile on then 25 yr old Knowles in 1997 with this bit on how AICN helped turn the tide on Titanic buzz

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/16/magazine/the-two-hollywoods-harry-knowles-is-always-listening.html

An early secret screening of James Cameron's ''Titanic'' -- the most anticipated film of the year and the most expensive ever made -- provides a glimpse into his methods. Knowles likes to tell the story: I got a call from this odd female voice saying, 'I've searched the twin cities of the earth for Titanic.' I thought, Geez, isn't this a little melodramatic? And I go, 'Does that mean Minneapolis and St. Paul?' And she hangs up. So I put a notice on my page: 'Attention citizens of Minneapolis, St. Paul. I have a mission for you. Write in and I'll tell you.'

Within an hour he heard from 75 people. ''I was shocked. So I said: 'O.K., folks, somewhere in your area there is a screening of 'Titanic.' If there are any test screenings you know of, please contact me. One of them is a likely cover.'' Knowles then learned that there were two test screenings in the area -- a Disney comedy and Fox's ''Great Expectations.'' He dispatched fans to both, but in retrospect he realized he'd been foolish. Fox is one of the producers of ''Titanic,'' and of course the ''Great Expectations'' preview was actually for ''Titanic.''

''I got 42 people into 'Titanic,' and some of them were even in the small focus-group discussion with James Cameron afterward,'' he says happily. ''I was so nervous. I did not want to have a negative screening. I did not want to say Fox and Paramount are a bunch of loons for pouring money into that sinking ship. I was sitting here till 2 in the morning. It was a 3 hour and 40 minute cut of the film, and finally the reviews start trickling in, and I go, 'All right.' The movie was so good! The opening was a little slow, but so what?''

The film makers, who had been battling negative publicity about the movie's budget and schedule, were startled by the ''Titanic'' reviews on Knowles's Web site, reviews that were reported by numerous newspapers and television shows. Knowles had created a counterbuzz, and nobody at Fox or Paramount, the joint producers of the film, was going to argue with him on this one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I remember an AICN article about Attack of the Clones from back in the day talking about Natalie Portman and how she had a "cute little turd cutter". That's the most disgusting way of saying you like someone's butt I've ever heard. those nerds were not normal.

It’s how they assumed sexually active men spoke. People without necessary social skills to be around women and men learn from TV, not reality. TV heavily leaned into presenting the most lucky(?) of men as manipulative jackasses, nerds pick up on it and act as if styling themselves as a misogynistic ‘dominant’ would give the impression they know how to speak to women. It’s why this “alpha-male” mentality is so prevalent in nerd spaces, and why so many “alphas” come across as really bitter losers. It’s why those “Andrew Tate is destroying the youth” Guardian articles always seem overblown to me. Most boys know girls don’t like that shit and don’t take it seriously at all.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Fully agree with this. The ending is way more dark than it needs to be and I know I, personally, felt absolutely cheated when it came to the character who sold me a ticket.

If you're talking about who I think, that character was supposed to come back at the end but good old studio meddling changed that.

I honestly think something else is going on with the backlash to this movie. It wasn't as bad as the reviews, Cinemascore , etc. are suggesting. But it seems to have pissed off every demographic who could have saved it at the box office. Older viewers nostalgic for Keaton Batman are disappointed that he was used in this instead of something that actually captured the feel of the Tim Burton movies. Snyder fans who might have enjoyed seeing their heroes together one last time are pissed because of the reboot. Women seem to be avoiding it because of Ezra. Casual superhero audience, especially people who aren't fans of the Snyderverse, are probably turned off by how much the plot references MoS. Even families seem to be turned off (maybe because of the lowbrow humour including

Spoiler

way too many shots of Miller's ass).

It's really a perfect of storm of how to turn away your potential audience.

11 hours ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Even Leo aint that big, has he had another success close to titanic or inception?. 

The Revenant made over half a billion dollars

Leo is an absolute star/draw

Edited by Pinacolada

11 hours ago, Day and Date The Best said:

The Wolf of Wallstreet made like what ~300 million and that was mainstream appeal designed. 

Yeah and that was a huge hit. It made $400m

Edited by Pinacolada

I hope the Saturday number continues to deliver. Hopefully Dwayne has some snarky things to say come Monday. This ain't touching the 67M of Black Adam in his 4 day weekend. Insane.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, screambaby said:

Little mermaid  died like 2 weeks ago...it's zombie has  been walking around since

I really don't understand this TLM hate. The movie had FAR more baggage than the Flash and it will likely gross more domestically than Flash will WW

Regarding baggage, TLM had possibly the largest review bombing compaign of any film, if people hated The Flash that much for any reason, we would have seen at least one tenth of TLM experienced. Plus, you have what feels like a third of the country boycotting the film for ideological reasons. In the wake of movies like Shazam 2 and The Flash, getting past 500m WW is nothing to scoff at in this new movie world order

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

Oh, yeah, saw The Flash last night. Don't really understand the B cinemascore. The CGI was certainly dodgey at times but the story was well paced and the cameos weren't that derivative and I thought 1 in particular was really clever and pretty awesome too.

The 3rd act kinda falls apart but not enough for me to dislike it. 6.5/10 - 7/10. Definitely not the best of all time or anything, but really solid movie.

Haven't seen some DCEU movies and some of the others in awhile but probably would rank them like this for the ones I have seen:

1. SNJL - 10/10 | Okay I'm not even a Snyderbro or anything but the execution in this movie is near flawless imo. Some may think Steppenwolf is still too bland but I thought his motivation was compelling enough in comparison to him just moaning for "Mother" or whatever in Josstice League. Cyborg's arc and story was also very touching and one of the many huge improvements in this cut. Some argue it's too long but I watched in two sittings and thought it was fine. It was only released on streaming so I don't think the runtime is too much of an issue for me in that regard. The epilogue was kind pointless but it redeemed Leto's Joker (even though I haven't even seen the first Suicide Squad, if just seen clips).

2. The Suicide Squad - 8/10 | Pretty funny with some awesome kills. Gunn really can make you care about basically anyone. The 3rd act kinda dragged a little too long for me but very good movie nonetheless. The DCEU's rated R Guardians of the Galaxy for unsurprising reasons. (I have Peacemaker rated at a 9/10)

3. BvS - 8/10 | Now it may appear that I'm clearly a Snyder stan with this one so high but trust me I'm not. I just saw this one and SNJL this year for the first time so I have no affiliation with his stans or anything DC related before this year. I get why this one is hated, but I personally liked how the story played out for the most part. I don't have any connection with the comics either so I don't typically care about comic accuracy. The 3rd act with Doomsday was kinda jarring and Eisenberg as Lex Luthor was a miscast but the rest I really enjoyed.

4. Wonder Woman - 7/10 | I haven't watched this one in a while but i remember it being pretty good for an origin story. Seems like the DC universe struggles with 3rd acts though lol.

5. The Flash - 7/10 | Understood it's goofy tone for most of the movie but nailed the heartfelt moments. The Batman fight scenes were epic and some cool ideas were introduced that weren't quite implemented well CGI wise.

6. Aquaman - 7/10 | I think this movie is almost on the level of Fast in Furious in terms of being critic proof. Just an unapologetically fun CBM that is bright and colorful.

Shazam - 6/10 | Dont remember much other than it being serviceable and the one kid hitting himself with a nunchuck.

7. Man of Steel - 6/10 | Opening sequence was the best part about the movie. Introduced some interesting ideas and moral complexities but it didn't too much with them I thought. Pretty dull movie.

8. Josstice League - 2/10 | Just no.

9. WW84 - 1/10 | Godawful. An abomination of film, no matter how attractive Kristen Wiig and Gal Gadot are.

Thanks for reading my pointless ranking of the DCEU that nobody cares about 👍🏼.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1