kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

1 hour ago, JustWatching said:

Honestly, at this point if I’m James Gunn I’m taking the weekend to decide if I still want to do this. By the time Legacy is ready the well may not have just been poisoned, but dried up, filled in, paved over and then blown to atoms to make way for a hyperspace bypass. I’m a year older than Gunn and it sure wouldn’t be worth the aggravation for me, especially if I had his bank account.

He's already commited to it, it'd be a ***** move to back down so early in the fight. 

No Hard Feelings is doing great for the night shows around me (and selling well for tomorrow at the theater where I'm seeing it at in the afternoon), think it reaches high-teens for the weekend. Considering it was sold entirely on JLaw, seems pretty safe to say the question of whether she's a star or not is being answered with "why yes, she is."

Edited by filmlover

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

No Hard Feelings is doing great for the night shows around me (and selling well for tomorrow at the theater where I'm seeing it at in the afternoon), think it reaches high-teens for the weekend. Considering it was sold entirely on JLaw, seems pretty safe to say the question of whether she's a star or not is being answered with "why yes, she is."

more like its a fairly well reviewed comedy in the middle of summer tbh I don't think many care about jlaw aside from those age 28-38. It's been almost 10 years since a hunger games film anyone saw and Silver linings playbook is 11 years old 🙃 gen z doesnt know her

Edited by excel1

21 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Just absolutely wretched numbers for NHF and Asteroid City off previews. This isn't even fun anymore. It's like a slow funeral.

yep trust those mid afternoon deadline numbers sure. Once again 6 out the last 7 weekends had 50 million openings at least.  God the doom and gloom around this place. 

• Like 1

Anecdotally with no hard metrics, No Hard Feelings walkups were kind of shit tonight in NY. Theaters with less capacity have been full since the morning, but Lincoln Square and Empire generally didn't pass 35-40% on two screens at each location in some of their larger auditoriums.

Spider-Verse Dolby sales have been strong at least, and Elemental has been selling well despite being moved to smaller auditoriums at most theaters here. Asteroid City is still nutso.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

We had 6 weekends out of the last 7 where a movie opened to over 50 million. From the middle of feb to the first weekend of april we only had one weekend without a 30 million dollar opener. I know this is your shtick but come on. If the Flash had not completely imploded this weekend would look a lot better. Its the product when people want to see something they will see it.

I just wanted to see a comedy (or a drama) do really well. NHF is fresh on RT, has a fun concept and a star. A 15M OW is crap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

Obviously because it's a 90 minutes cartoon done in few years and Rockstar Game is a giant state of the art open world story driven game with hundreds of hours of quality content, insane level of detail and polish, tons of cinematics, 8 years in development, done by the best people in the industry. Only Pixar spends 200 mln on animated features, nobody else does, unless there are serious production issues. Spending less doesn't mean more crunches, not all studios are the same.

If this isn't sarcasm, it speaks to an impressive lack of understanding about how Pixar operates.

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I just wanted to see a comedy (or a drama) do really well. NHF is fresh on RT, has a fun concept and a star. A 15M OW is crap.

R rated comedies were dying theatrically before covid.  It is what it is at this point. 

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

well that would be really shocking if that happens. I think Indy should be more walk up driven and especially have good walk ups from boomers/the AARP crowd so I won’t count it out yet 

This isn’t so much directed at you, but I see this old folks = walk-ups thrown out over and over … and it’s just no longer true

One of the effects of the pandemic is that the Olds on the whole - by necessity - got more comfortable with online purchases. As a result, they now buy tickets earlier than many of their younger counterparts, not later/walk-up heavy. (Examples: Elvis & NTTD). They might help the IM/weekend total by being more patient for Sat/Sun than Thir/Fri, but even then we’d see the sales numbers days or more out

Can’t count on an AARP surge to save a film if the sales just aren’t there 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

This isn’t so much directed at you, but I see this old folks = walk-ups thrown out over and over … and it’s just no longer true

One of the effects of the pandemic is that the Olds on the whole - by necessity - got more comfortable with online purchases. As a result, they now buy tickets earlier than many of their younger counterparts, not later/walk-up heavy. (Examples: Elvis & NTTD). They might help the IM/weekend total by being more patient for Sat/Sun than Thir/Fri, but even then we’d see the sales numbers days or more out

Can’t count on an AARP surge to save a film if the sales just aren’t there 

They also tend to be more review dependent and those reviews while they have improved are not enough push them off the fence in great numbers, This needed to be TG Maverick and it is not. 

• Like 1

Yea NHF walk-ups today just weren’t amazing where I am. I would just chalk it up to nice weather here, but @WrathOfHan has said the same thing, which makes me think Deadline might have been onto something.

But Asteroid City… if coastal BC was the metric, this thing is a bona fide blockbuster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It doesn't make comedy impossible but different than the mentality 10-15 years ago.

35 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

We need Hangover Part 4. 

Todd Phillips was right when he said why he stopped making comedies smh.