Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

Indiana Jones has never been cool. And it's my favorite franchise. But I remember when Shia hyped up the KOTCS at the MTV Movie Awards and it was absolutely crickets. And that was 15 years ago and before that movie damaged the reputation of the franchise. Top Gun is still a cool military movie. Mission Impossible is still a cool spy franchise. Indy is more akin to Bond and probably even less hip than that. The crowd for it is 65 and up.

Damn, what an abysmal year for Disney. Quantumania opened well but dropped off a cliff, their Black Panther reprisal attempt didn't even come close to that, Elemental is going to get killed by its budget, they started removing content from Disney+ for some desperate cash, and now Indiana Jones is going to be another bloated flop. Guardians 3 was their only win for the year, and it'll certainly be their biggest for the year now. The layoffs later this year are going to be brutal. Shit, they might even have to sell off some assets to stabilize the bleeding at this point. Aside from Avatar, Fox has been a flop factory for them, so maybe they'll sell that off while keeping some IP they might need.

As for Indiana Jones 5, it shouldn't have been made at all. There's virtually no demand for it, the stench of Crystal Skull is too putrid still, and the movie itself isn't good enough to overcome either that or the ruthlessness audiences have been showing to these blockbusters as of late. At least they were smart enough not to make that mistake with National Treasure, and like that property they should've done a small Disney+ series to test the waters first. But hindsight is 20/20.

The one good thing that might come out of this is that at least this'll free Mangold up for the Swamp Thing movie.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Indiana Jones has never been cool. And it's my favorite franchise. But I remember when Shia hyped up the KOTCS at the MTV Movie Awards and it was absolutely crickets. And that was 15 years ago and before that movie damaged the reputation of the franchise. Top Gun is still a cool military movie. Mission Impossible is still a cool spy franchise. Indy is more akin to Bond and probably even less hip than that. The crowd for it is 65 and up.

Yeah, I never remember anyone talking about Indiana Jones growing up. It’s just sad that Harrison Ford is going out with such a whimper. As much as everyone seems to hate Crystal Skull, it was a profitable and culturally relevant film. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

So, Indy will make what tracking said the last few weeks. THis is not good news for MI:DR. That is a movie which targets old men just like Indy and tracking is bad as well

MI DR is tracking to do 65 over 3 days and 90 over 5 +days how is that bad?   I know this your shtick but come on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

MI DR is tracking to do 65 over 3 days and 90 over 5 +days how is that bad?   I know this your shtick but come on. 

I mean the tracking thread here. It's tracking to do 7-8M in previews, which is really bad imo.

mi7 will have presumably very strong reviews which should give it a bump, indiana jones had atrocious intial critics score and the rise over the last 2 weeks kinds went unnoticed cause its about first impressions

I mean we or one person mostly  are already burying Mission because Indy is doing exactly how most expected it too based on a botched rollout and mixed reviews something Mission does not have to worry about. This place never fails to disappoint.

1 minute ago, GOGODanca said:

mi7 will have presumably very strong reviews which should give it a bump, indiana jones had atrocious intial critics score and the rise over the last 2 weeks kinds went unnoticed cause its about first impressions

Let's hope so because tracking is not improving at all even with the social media reactions. I'm afraid not to be too late

2 minutes ago, rehpyc said:

People should learn to not listen to Deadline by now. Previews aren't coming in under 7M, that's for sure.

Yes but listening to Deadline even when they know better gives then excuse to flip out and do the normal thing around here. 

48 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Raiders is a landmark and cinematic classic for film critics and scholars and it's beloved by white men over 40 but I don't think it's really relevant to anyone else.

It's an old white man adventure movie and it's missing an AND. Two strikes against it. 

Meanwhile the 1999 Mummy, while a lesser film, is always viral on Twitter because it's an adventure where the two leads have a fun and youthful chemistry, AND it's a supernatural monster movie. That's also why Jurassic Park endures - it's an adventure AND a monster attack movie. 

1 minute ago, Flopped said:

Raiders is a landmark and cinematic classic for film critics and scholars and it's beloved by white men over 40 but I don't think it's really relevant to anyone else.

It's an old white man adventure movie and it's missing an AND. Two strikes against it. 

Meanwhile the 1999 Mummy, while a lesser film, is always viral on Twitter because it's an adventure where the two leads have a fun and youthful chemistry, AND it's a supernatural monster movie. That's also why Jurassic Park endures - it's an adventure AND a monster attack movie. 

I think you are overthinking it a bit. The Mummy and Jurassic Park are always discussed and viral on Twitter because the people who watched those movies when they were in the 8-18 age range i.e. the most impressionable time you can watch a movie, are the main demographic on Twitter and those movies hit the nostalgia button perfectly for that demo. 

Yes, they are great movies but the discussion is skewed due to Twitter user demos.

• Like 1