Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

7.2M means older skewing audience plus the extended holiday can give it a 8-10x internal weekend multiple and a 12-14x extended weekend multiple. 5 day openers with average word of mouth normally do 2x their 5-day.

So taking 9x, 13x and 2x the 5 day, the baseline numbers are 65M 3-day, 94M 5-day and 188M full run. The full run will be badly affected by Mission Impossible and Oppenheimer targeting the same audience, so it can be more around 170M.

Lot of parallels with The Flash here. Overbudgeted nostalgia trip that studios were super confident in ends up being a flop of massive proportions, with pretty much near universal rejection around the world. 

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Ruby $725K

27 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Indy $7.2M

Well, that's... not the worst case scenario, at least? For either film? Still nowhere near good in the long term. Especially not with the PostTrack and RT audience scores for Indy, at least. And the absolute best case scenario for Rudy Gilman is an Elemental type run, which means it'll still lose money in the end. 

Holy shit, this really feels like Flash/Elemental 2: Electric Bombaloo. Man, this month has been a disaster. 

Edited by Koni

5 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Because as per the numbers, the people did not want the nostalgia. 80 y/o Indie is not the Indie people love.

Not having seen the movie, but I mentioned my "imagined nostalgia" plot in the Indy thread...

Have Indy speak somewhere - college graduation, award, etc...have him reminisce on a story from his past (and recast Indy young for this) - run the story and finish it and let Indy say goodbye...or finish it, but have the bad guy get away and let old Indy flash his whip at the speaking event and capture the bad guy as he makes a play to kill Indy...or something where you get Harrison Ford playing the total nostalgia role, but an actual person who can be an action hero playing that role...and you can then tell stories with that person going forward...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

1 minute ago, Sckathian said:

Because as per the numbers, the people did not want the nostalgia. 80 y/o Indie is not the Indie people love.

I didn't say they wanted, i was talking about perspective of makers.

Why would you want a hero which people loved, (and you're supposedly making a Legacy sequel) as broken, bitter person who is less competent.

Being 80 years old didn't change the fact that maker can show whatever they want.

And again, doesn't matter if Weekend is 100 or 50, it wouldn't hurt to get good scores.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Some of the reviews have mentioned that Indy has been casted side a bit in favor of young new protagonist.

I mean, why would you do this, if you are invoking nostalgia then give the people the Indy they love rather than an Indy who is just a shell of his past self. 

Indy hasn't been cast aside . It's still very much  his film

it's just the Phoebe character is annoying and unlikable for a large section of the film . And not in " the so called woke way" parrotted around by critical drinker and Co .

generic audience member  will  find her so annoying and I say this as one who liked the film

Oh boy wait till you get aload of discount short round ....

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

From Deadline for Indy:  (Edit: Great minds think alike:) https://deadline.com/2023/06/box-office-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-1235427644/

"Dial of Destiny is OK so far: 88% with Rotten Tomatoes audiences. Screen Engine/Comscore’s PostTrak shows 78% with general audiences and 3 1/2 stars and a 59% definite recommend while parents and kids under 12 are slightly better at 4 stars apiece and 82%. Turnout Thursday night was 59% guys to 41% women."

I’m surprised it’s not that heavily skewed to the male audience.

6 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Lot of parallels with The Flash here. Overbudgeted nostalgia trip that studios were super confident in ends up being a flop of massive proportions, with pretty much near universal rejection around the world. 

Was The Flash a character popular in the 80s? The more you know I guess.

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not having seen the movie, but I mentioned my "imagined nostalgia" plot in the Indy thread...

Have Indy speak somewhere - college graduation, award, etc...have him reminisce on a story from his past (and recast Indy young for this) - run the story and finish it and let Indy say goodbye...or finish it, but have the bad guy get away and let old Indy flash his whip at the speaking event and capture the bad guy as he makes a play to kill Indy...or something where you get Harrison Ford playing the total nostalgia role, but an actual person who can be an action hero playing that role...and you can then tell stories with that person going forward...

Did that basically on a young Indian jones episode

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XXR Doom N' Gloom said:

The IM will be interesting. Had a long back and forth with @Menor Reborn about the potential multiplier last night. Under 7 would not be at all surprising, IMO.

I think 7x is right about on point for the type of movie and current feedback (and lack of any financial push to folks to buy tickets - okay, the national Applebees one is good, but you have to go eat Applebees) - but what do I know...I just stayed at a Holiday Inn last week (okay, it was a Drury Inn, but close enough:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

This is giving me bad flashbacks of this

4 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Did that basically on a young Indian jones episode

And?  No one probably remembers it...and you can always adjust it to go somewhere different - different story, different enemy, different talking point...

Heck, take it to a classroom for a speech to a group...anything where he's talking and emoting, but not actioning except for the "one moment" to get nostalgia...but he opens and closes the movie...