Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY (2023)B+

Wanna add to this by also saying this is still somehow higher then Crystal Skull, which got a B.

Edited by LegionWrex
typos

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

23-24 would not be that bad and would probably get it to 60/170. Which, obviously, not great, but not the John Carter/The Flash level flop it is being made out to be.

The visceral hate some people have for this movie relative to other unsuccesful franchise sequels is kinda weird.

$170M would be a colossal flop especially since it’s doing disastrously overseas so far. It’s currently hearing towards less than $400M WW which would make it one of the biggest flops of all time if not the biggest…

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Seen it; thought it would be a B / B-. Audiences in NA are quite generous with the score...

Saw it today (liked it quite a bit btw, thought it was a ton of fun!) and I suspect the final scene is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

I suspect the final scene is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Indeed it is. That scene probably raised the CScore by at least half a grade as it may end up being the live action scene of the summer depending on what M:I or Oppenheimer deliver.

• Astonished 1

42 minutes ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

$170M would be a colossal flop especially since it’s doing disastrously overseas so far. It’s currently hearing towards less than $400M WW which would make it one of the biggest flops of all time if not the biggest…

I don’t know about all that, but yes it’s going to be a big money loser no matter what at this point. 

B+ isn't great but it's not terrible either, especially for a movie that's playing to mostly older audiences who are harsher critics than the under 25 demo. Should have average legs if I had to guess, still has a shot at having a decent enough hold for #1 next weekend before MI7 and Barbenheimmer obliterate it.  But yeah, I don't think we'll see another Harrison Ford Indy movie, and if I were Disney I'd wait a bit before trying to reboot the franchise. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

B+ isn't great but it's not terrible either, especially for a movie that's playing to mostly older audiences who are harsher critics than the under 25 demo. Should have average legs if I had to guess, still has a shot at having a decent enough hold for #1 next weekend before MI7 and Barbenheimmer obliterate it.  But yeah, I don't think we'll see another Harrison Ford Indy movie, and if I were Disney I'd wait a bit before trying to reboot the franchise. 

I can still see it limping to like $150-160M domestic frankly. Maybe even $170M if it gets lucky and has good 4th of July results. It's going to be rough no matter what obviously.

31 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Have a hard time seeing it not be number one next weekend. Unless it does drop hard after an inflated holiday weekend and Insidious 4 or 5 whatever it is  way over achieves. The way things have been going lately that could happen.I guess. 

I wouldn’t have had it even making $250 million months ago, so $170 million would be a little disappointing but no great shock.

Ten years too late kids. All it is.  No real hysteria needed, and at least the film is good and will last. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

Big flop for sure, but it's probably losing around $100-150 million for Disney. Recently, Strange World would still be a bigger bomb since Disney lost $200 million on that one. And adjusted for inflation, pretty sure John Carter is the biggest money loser for the studio.

4 hours ago, emoviefan said:

That's cool. Going in with a  positive attitude. Feels like a lot of people don;t do that anymore. 

I always go in with a positive attitude with most blockbusters.  Comic book movies have a whole different type of toxic conversation surrounding them.  Blockbusters that land outside of the comic book world don't sour me as much because there's not a bunch of stans talking positively or negatively about them.  

Just now, wildphantom said:

Disney blowing through their Avatar profits in six months. Current climate is way too risky to be putting all their eggs in expensive baskets. 

You suggesting they make mid-budget movies? Good one.

7 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

It did, and Picard Season 3 was easily the best Star Trek has been since the 90s.

Yep. If you’re going to bring back old, extremely popular characters, do it in a way that celebrates them, not destroys them for the sake of an unrealistic character arc, or to make another character look good. It was a stupid mistake in Star Wars, it’s a stupid mistake in Indy, it was a stupid mistake in Picard seasons 1 & 2, and the course correction by Terry Matalas was incredibly good.

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Like 4

B+ isn't a death sentence, but isn't a super great sign, either. It's not enough to make up for the general apathy towards the movie.

How are holdovers looking? If some of the predictions from BOR, BOP stand, we should see some good hold (not looking at you, Flash). If Transformers actually does what they think, it will probably cross $150m in the end.