VanillaSkies

July 5 & 6 Numbers Thread

49 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Flash budget is like 100m less so that makes a pretty massive diffidence in bombage levels. 

Reported budget is likely horseshit. Zaslav is untrustworthy and this thing was stuck in editing for at least a year.

Not saying Dial is cheap but I seriously doubt Flash was 100 mil less than it was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Reported budget is likely horseshit. Zaslav is untrustworthy and this thing was stuck in editing for at least a year.

Not saying Dial is cheap but I seriously doubt Flash was 100 mil less than it was.

Idk, the movie looked like shit to me lol.

5 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Why? 300 mil is an absurd budget. It’s very likely Flash is 100m cheaper, cause that ain’t cheap. 

15 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

200 million sounds about right which is the number all the trades are running with. Indy's budget is just insanely inflated. It's one of the most expensive movies ever made.

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Why? 300 mil is an absurd budget. It’s very likely Flash is 100m cheaper, cause that ain’t cheap. 

What the hell kinda logic is that? "300 mil is too high, therefore Flash is 100 mil cheaper". Studios more reliable than ZaslavWarner have lied about budgets for years, hell Disney lied about the real cost of the later Pirates movies. Why are we simply taking Flash's budget at face value?! The thing was in editing forever, I'm sure putting in all those new scenes and dealing with COVID protocols bloated its budget as it did to other blockbusters. I'm not saying Flash was "300 mil" but its stated figure is most likely horseshit. WB will do anything in its power to make it look like less of a bomb than it is.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

What the hell kinda logic is that? "300 mil is too high, therefore Flash is 100 mil cheaper". Studios more reliable than ZaslavWarner have lied about budgets for years, hell Disney lied about the real cost of the later Pirates movies. Why are we simply taking Flash's budget at face value?! The thing was in editing forever, I'm sure putting in all those new scenes and dealing with COVID protocols bloated its budget as it did to other blockbusters. I'm not saying Flash was "300 mil" but its stated figure is most likely horseshit. WB will do anything in its power to make it look like less of a bomb than it is.

They announced the budget before it opened.

Anyway, if you think every studio reported budget is a lie there’s probably no point in you discussing and comparing them. 

12 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

Indy won't have legs idk why people keep holding on to hope that it will.

I don't expect it to have long legs at least but it's at 1.48 as of Wednesday vs Flash being at 1.86, add in Thursday's total and a meh weekend and it probably gets past 2.0 by Monday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Even if the reported production budgets are true (I doubt it), there's no way The Flash's marketing budget is less than Indy's with all the shit they did, which makes the gap between them smaller.

26 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

Indy won't have legs idk why people keep holding on to hope that it will.

Because it's an older demographic and we're 5 days into its run right now. Pretty sure it's got potential to have legs. But that's just me. 🤷

• Like 4

Both Flash and Indy are huge bombs for their respective studios. 

Arguing over which is the bigger bomb is somewhat pointless.  Sort of a 'who is the taller midget' argument.

It would be interesting to see what Flash's marketing budget was. They spent a ton of money and had few tie-ins to help, so it was all on WB to pay for Marketing. 

Nice to see Elemental showing strong legs. It opened way to low and will likely lose money for Disney (though I guess by the time all the ancilliaries are counted maybe it can break even), but its obvious strong WOM both DOM and International could help Pixar with future films.

The idea that the Flash marketing somehow cost less than Indy's after months of Superbowl trailers and BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE SINCE THE DARK KNIGHT seems very subjective.

Since it's very difficult to tell what the "real" budget is I'm more interested in gross. I think Indy will substantially outgross Flash although it won't get anywhere near 200 mil. The more interesting matchup is Indy/Beasts IMO.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not really, it cost more than 200 mln obviously, it wasn't smooth production and it was in development hell forever. Most official budgets are false.

Edited by TomThomas

So right now it looks like three big Blockbusters of the summer season are spiderverse, mermaid and Guardians of the Galaxy 3. We're all going to make North 300 mil which is fantastic. We've got our fair share of bombs and plenty of movies that have disappointed. On the lower end I would say Boogeyman was a nice solid hit and probably no hard feelings will be considered one as well.

From what I gather Oppenheimer, Barbie and the cruise missile are three movies that could do gangbusters business. If you guys were forced to pick, which one of these films do you think will do the most domestically?

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1