baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

I'm pretty much the exact demographic for Joy Ride (diversity-loving liberal who is rooting for studio comedies and movies with good critical reviews) and even I can't be assed to see it. Jokes in trailer were too much of the "unfunny lines delivered loudly and meanly in the tenor of a joke" variety for me. 

• Like 4

Saw a Tweet or a Thread earlier today saying that of the 5 Indiana Jones movies, 3 of them have been series finales. That's kind of hilarious, up there with Terminator having a trilogy of failed trilogy starters with Salvation, Genisys and Dark Fate.

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm pretty much the exact demographic for Joy Ride (diversity-loving liberal who is rooting for studio comedies and movies with good critical reviews) and even I can't be assed to see it. Jokes in trailer were too much of the "unfunny lines delivered loudly and meanly in the tenor of a joke" variety for me. 

I miss when comedies had jokes

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I went to a Prime auditorium at AMC for the first time.... and I know 99% of all movies look like shit today and the dim projections don't help... but Prime is just... louder? I would have wasted my money if not for A-list

Anyway, Insidious 5.. if for whatever reason you actually want to watch this piece of mid... skip Prime!

Had a similar experience with Prime when I went to one last summer. Dolby remains the best (and like only good) screen for AMC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Had a similar experience with Prime when I went to one last summer. Dolby remains the best (and like only good) screen for AMC.

Yeah I've grown to like dolby the most.

Not an IMAX guy unless it's a movie filmed in IMAX ala Oppenheimer. Otherwise, the potential of LieMax or a glare over the screen is so high

16 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I miss when comedies had jokes

My theory (theory! Not fact!) why comedies have just ... sucked for years now is that the writers are simply afraid. They are afraid of accidently making a "controversial" joke (heated political climate and all that, though i really dont want to dive deeper into this actually) that could result into Twitter having a meltdown ... or Threads in the future i guess. So they take the "safe" route and just make the characters loud and obnoxious, because screaming means funny apparently.

Big mainstream comedy movies like Bruce Almighty or Superbad really seem like a thing of the past. Kinda like romance movies, nobody cares about that anymore. I mean, what do people actually find funny these days? It seems to me that humour is more subjective than ever today. Though maybe thats just me beeing stupid, thats also a very real possibility.

It doesnt help that i rewatch Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz every year and get reminded that these two movies are funnier than everything Hollywood has done in the last 10 years combined.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

My theory (theory! Not fact!) why comedies have just ... sucked for years now is that the writers are simply afraid. They are afraid of accidently making a "controversial" joke (heated political climate and all that, though i really dont want to dive deeper into this actually) that could result into Twitter having a meltdown ... or Threads in the future i guess. So they take the "safe" route and just make the characters loud and obnoxious, because screaming means funny apparently.

Big mainstream comedy movies like Bruce Almighty or Superbad really seem like a thing of the past. Kinda like romance movies, nobody cares about that anymore. I mean, what do people actually find funny these days? It seems to me that humour is more subjective than ever today. Though maybe thats just me beeing stupid, thats also a very real possibility.

It doesnt help that i rewatch Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz every year and get reminded that these two movies are funnier than everything Hollywood has done in the last 10 years combined.

image.pngimage.png

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Nah, comedies have just mostly sucked for a decade at this point. Melissa McCarthy made a bunch of crap in the genre and everyone tried to replicate The Hangover.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

disney are taking their sweet time providing actuals lately

Ask and yee shall recieve.

5.3mil for Indy -4%, 2.1mil for Elemental +5%, 850k for TLM -5%, 240k for GOTG3 -11%

Lol at the Flash's PTA being below GOTG 3 by a single ticket

Edited by Ledmonkey96
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also kinda tough that besides Stephanie Hsu (sort of), none of these actresses are even remotely stars. Used to be that comic actors could build fame through supporting roles before getting their starring vehicle. Now they go straight to the starring vehicle. 

3 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Early Fri #s from official channels:

Insidious 13.0

Indy 8.8

SOF 5.0

JoyR 2.8

I think most of these go up, but maybe Indy less so. Insidious should, in theory, benefit from evening shows.

Hey @Shawn good to see you here and as always thanks for the updates. That Indy number might be a little bit optimistic but if my theory holds true, that Indy is definitely a weekend movie based on the much older demographics, then that number doesn't seem to outlandish. If that is the number that would put it in line for maybe 26 million for the weekend and that would be a decent drop.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Nah, comedies have just mostly sucked for a decade at this point. Melissa McCarthy made a bunch of crap in the genre and everyone tried to replicate The Hangover.

There have been a few good ones, but yup. I think Trainwreck, Sausage Party, Good Boys, and Bros are the only decent ones over the last 8 years. All but one pre-COVID, and then Bros obviously flopped for more than COVID reasons. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Early Fri #s from official channels:

Insidious 13.0

Indy 8.8

SOF 5.0

JoyR 2.8

I think most of these go up, but maybe Indy less so. Insidious should, in theory, benefit from evening shows.

With that Joy Ride number (1.1 TH + 1.7 F), it should probably be below both Elemental and Spidey for the weekend...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I think people are just lazy lol. 

Comedies require wit and structure and set-up. But with the rise of the improvised driven Apatow comedies, it's cheaper and less time consuming to produce a basic script and just stick a camera in front of actors and have them mug. 

No Hard Feelings was hyped as JLaw unlike you've ever seen her. And besides the nude scene (she was already nude in movies before!), it's a half-baked idea overly dependent on her elevating the material with improv. Cocaine Bear and Strays are similar too. These reasons contributed to the genre dying out in the last decade. The Change-Up, The Sitter, The Watch (though, admittedly that did suffer from the Trayvon Martin stuff too lol), The House, Rough Night. Audiences got tired of watching stars repeat the same stupid vulgar shit. The few comedies that did breakout in the latter half of the decade (Sausage Party, Good Boys) didn't carry massive legs because the opening weekend audiences realized the concept only went so far

But nowadays people just seem to find "viral" memes and online comedians funny which is mostly the same thing. Someone makes stupid faces in front of a camera and riffs on easy topics and concepts like Trump or whatever. They laugh at the concept of a joke rather than the joke itself?

• Like 2