baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

@Shawn discount Tuesdays obviously yield significant increases. Everything kind of just stayed flat or decreased or increased minimally yesterday. Any theories as to why this is?

• Like 1

Just now, Flopped said:

The most impressive thing about Barbie is how they've managed to avoid any backlash about it being a problematic toy that set a harmful and impossible beauty standards for girls starting around age 5. 

That's because normal people don't think about Barbie in those terms the way extremely online twitter/former tumblr users do.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'm not finding the numbers on guru or deadline. Care to show a link?

2-2.5M EA is Charlie update, sorry 

He was expecting ~6M true TUE, it made 7. But the EA number is probably accurate since it already happened.

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

That's because normal people don't think about Barbie in those terms the way extremely online twitter/former tumblr users do.

But the girls and gays of twitter who whine about everything problematic and misogynistic are mute on this topic. 

Wait, how are people saying Mission Impossible is going to do under 200 million when it did 3 million more than Fallout's Thursday did in the middle of the week? Also, were people expecting it to do 300 million or something? These numbers are exactly in line with the rest of the franchise. It is only disappointing if you genuinely thought this was going to have a mega increase, and there wasn't much empirical evidence for that.

Feels good to be on the other side of the hope ledger. Sadly Sound of Freedom doing so well depresses me much more than Mission Impossible doing well makes me happy.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I legit think that the very idea of Quantumania was a mistake. You needed to kill Scott, just like it happens in the comics (not really killed by Kang there, but did set the Young Avengers in motion). You needed to have Kang to have his Thanos moment. But I’m not sure you could do that with an Ant-Man film. I do think they did consider that. The film seems to indicate it will go there. Until it does not. Not sure if that would be better received or not. But it’s where the film needed to go, in my opinion.

No, you don't need to kill Scott. Scott isn't even a major character in Kang's mythos. Killing Scott is (figuratively) stepping on an ant. If you want to make a BIG impact you have Kang kill off someone like Thor. Most people are not deeply enough invested in AntMan to care if he dies and if you kill him it turns the AntMan movies from fun comedies into "comedian dies horrible depressing death".

Hm, I expected a bit higher for MI. Still seems okay/fine. I really thought it'd have a late presales surge. 

I still don't understand why Transformers is the one that had the crazy surge. I keep expecting it to happen again and it never really does.

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

@Shawn discount Tuesdays obviously yield significant increases. Everything kind of just stayed flat or decreased or increased minimally yesterday. Any theories as to why this is?

MI7 had evening showings every 15 minutes, so holdovers gave up Tuesday night shows just for the preview night

• Like 1

Just now, Flopped said:

But the girls and gays of twitter who whine about everything problematic and misogynistic are mute on this topic. 

Not exactly. I was going to link to a tweet a friend of mine sent me but they privated their account it said something like "Barbie is infinitely more fascist that Oppenheimer" and "Barbie promotes an American neoliberal fantasy that can only be realised for a select few through exploitation of the global south, further all this merchandising is destroying the fucking planet."

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Not exactly. I was going to link to a tweet a friend of mine sent me but they privated their account it said something like "Barbie is infinitely more fascist that Oppenheimer" and "Barbie promotes an American neoliberal fantasy that can only be realised for a select few through exploitation of the global south, further all this merchandising is destroying the fucking planet."

TBF Oppenheimer is pretty anti-fascist if anything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

Please stop posting political crap from the Nazi bird app, its just embarassing and deranged at this point.

speaking of deranged are you in the right thread? Only stuff i'm seeing is tweets relevant to boxoffice.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Hm, I expected a bit higher for MI. Still seems okay/fine. I really thought it'd have a late presales surge. 

I still don't understand why Transformers is the one that had the crazy surge. I keep expecting it to happen again and it never really does.

Think it’s because of its reviews. The last 4 transformers had reviews in the 20s and low 30s. When reviews for the new one came in on par with the first one some people got a little more hopeful and decided to buy tickets at the last minutes 

Nazi crap? I've been reading this thread for the last few hours and I haven't seen anything about nazis. Are you sure you're in the right thread?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Wait, how are people saying Mission Impossible is going to do under 200 million when it did 3 million more than Fallout's Thursday did in the middle of the week? Also, were people expecting it to do 300 million or something? These numbers are exactly in line with the rest of the franchise. It is only disappointing if you genuinely thought this was going to have a mega increase, and there wasn't much empirical evidence for that.

Feels good to be on the other side of the hope ledger. Sadly Sound of Freedom doing so well depresses me much more than Mission Impossible doing well makes me happy.

MI probably had to reach at least 90m to keep 200m alive. Especially with the m massive competition next week. I’d say under Fallout is disappointing and over/under 200m shouldn’t have even been a question  

Edited by John Marston

14 minutes ago, Flopped said:

The most impressive thing about Barbie is how they've managed to avoid any backlash about it being a problematic toy that set a harmful and impossible beauty standard for girls starting around age 5. 

When you think of Barbie, the image that comes to mind is white, blonde, blue eyes, thin, impossibly narrow waste, big tits, literally 1939's wet dream. 

Populating the movie with actors of color in the background maybe did the trick. 

I'd say this in the movie's thread but those members living vicariously through Margot Robbie as a pink-clad doll are very quick to report. 

Barbie has had a messy history but I feel like it's been in a journey of "reclamation" and the film seems to be adding to it.

• Like 1