baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

1 hour ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Gen Z is infatuated with Keanu. Tom Cruise is viewed as outdated by my generation. 

Nah, I don't think that's true after Top Gun and especially Matrix 4 lol - I'm only in my 20's and I remember the tide on Cruise shifting immensely from Mummy (where he felt like a punchline everywhere) to Maverick (where he's mr. saving hollywood again). I do think the marketing campaign Paramount ran for this movie was really strange, which hurt it

Ok..

No offense some don't understand what a flop is here.

This needs 700m to breakeven (2.5*)

Those using TLM as comp it's not an apple to apples comparison.

TLM  has a higher domestic share compared to OS and barely made anything in china.

291*0.55 - 160m

249*0.4 -99m

3.7*0.25 -0.9

260m in revenue and counting . It's already exceeded it's production budget. Now ancillaries will do  the rest.

Mission impossible is OS heavy and  DR will probably end with lower Domestic share and like around 75m+ in china.

Let me just give an estimated range.

185 *0.55 - 102m

400*.4.     - 160m

85*0.25.  - 21.25m

Total revenue is 283m which is lower than production budget but it's close enough so breakeven can happen.

Percentage that goes back to studio.

55% - domestic

38%-40% OS- china

25% china

This is the split deadline uses in it's estimation of profit or loss for films. They maybe shitty at tracking box-office but when it comes movie financials and budgets they pretty good . So  the splits are Not just random.

2-2.5* is the general breakeven point rule of thumb dependent on Dom/Os share. Once again this range is  not just random.

DR needs at least 670M+ to have a chance at breaking even. 700m would guarantee it.

Yeah we know covid ballooned the budget and no Russia but in the end a flop is still a flop.

Sure some are being hyperpobolic with doom and gloom but also some are just saying throwing numbers and saying 570m to low 600m  is fine and it's not financially speaking.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

I look forward to a lively discussion about Ethan Hunt dolls. 

Fun(ish) fact: Tom Cruise blacklists any and all merchandise with his face on it, since having statues made of you goes against one of the tenets of scientology. There was a bunch of Mummy merchandise of his character that got produced which got shitcanned last minute when he didn't approve it and it goes on ebay for $1,000+. I think the Applebees cut-out from Maverick's the closest thing he'll allow?

It feels weird since there's a lot of Travolta Pulp Fiction & Battlefield Earth dolls though...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

It's always the same people that get triggered when you call Sound of Freedom a religious movie even when it's a joke.

LMAO

This is my first comment regarding the movie on this sub, don't pull that shit outta yah ass. Also, how is that me getting "triggered" when I was correcting a statement that could be interpreted in its derivative meaning in a radical fashion? Someone saying it's a religious movie is what many have said or seen the movie as unironically, when it clearly isnt.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

not talking about SOF, but there's going to be huge amounts of audience overlap between it and (what I assume will be) the big one (passion 2)

Oh gotcha.

People have being claiming this as a religious movie on social media and I was trying to correct that notion.

• Like 1

I’ve seen a lot of reports that large portions of SoF’s audience are no shows, particularly in the cities (due to the “pay it forward” astroturfing campaign). 

That’s pretty terrible for theaters. A sold out theater with nobody in it is a concessionless theater. It also crowds our showings for movies that actually have real people showing up for them (and buying popcorn, etc). 

I hope this doesn’t encourage future marketing strategies to copy it.

FRIDAY Numbers from Deadline...https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-tom-cruise-1235434821/

MI7 "what is expected to be a $16M Friday and $52.2M 3-day at 4,327 theaters.

Angel Studios’ Sound of Freedom continues to ring loudly at 3,265 theaters with a second Friday of $6M (+15%), a second weekend between $20M-$22.5M and running cume that could reach $81M by EOD Sunday.

Sony/Stage 6 Films/Blumhouse’s Insidious: The Red Door is seeing a $4.35M Friday, -71% with a second weekend of $13.5M, -59%, running total by Sunday of $58.6M at 3,188 theaters.

Disney/Lucasfilm’s Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny booked at 3,865 is seeing a third Friday of $3.6M, -53% and third weekend of $12.9M, -53%, and running total by Sunday of $146.2M.

Disney/Pixar’s Elemental continues to hold in the top five with an estimated fifth weekend of $8.8M, a great -12% hold, and running total of $125.3M, Friday is estimated to be around $2.5M at 3,235 theaters."

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, M37 said:

Yep, Fallout is the exception - Rogue Nation was also 63% M

I do wonder if Fallout benefited from Greatest Showman and/or Black Panther afterglow, women turning out more for Rebecca Ferguson & Angela Basset respectively than the 6th entry in an action franchise 

That Henry Cavill effect

I guess literally all of Gen Z and Millennial attention is being sucked up by Barbenheimer right now. I did say all along 3 heavy adult skew blockbusters in a row was stupid, but figured MI was the safest by far. Idk, if Opp doesn’t breakout then maybe amazing legs. Not likely if Opp breaks out. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, Rainy said:

So I’m guessing that’s a bad number?

It's definitely a bit disappointing considering it's budget. It's not performing like a Fallout, it's reminding me more of Rogue Nation then anything else.