CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

7 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

Just proves you don’t need big explosives and a huge budget to sell a film.

Yeah or in this case a marketing budget. I'm not saying you're doing this but don't look at this as the norm this is definitely an anomaly where a film is doing well strictly because of word of mouth. There's no marketing no television commercials no billboards nothing.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
On 7/12/2023 at 10:25 AM, Shawn said:

Er, folks... $7 million is a very good start

Very good start... not very good follow-through. 

More pressure on legs and international now, and Oppenheimer is going to Oppenheimer next week.

This summer has been a meatgrinder for big-budget movies aimed at white men over 35. Other factors in play too, but... yeesh. Welcome to the new world, I guess.

The movie F'ing rules, though. Itching to watch the car chase sequence again.

• Like 12
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Orestes said:

Wonder if MI:7 releasing the week before Barbenheimer is gonna be like when Hellboy 2 released the week before TDK. Whoever scheduled that should be (metaphorically) defenestrated.

But who knew Barbenheimer was going to be what it was when they chose the dates?

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

George Lucas our true savior selling Lucas Film to Disney knowing they would implode   sooner than later and that would end the current shitty landscape of cinema that DIS helped so much by relying on super expensive IP’s only

What a king 

It’s interesting to see those comments from Spielberg and Lucas. The 2 of them unleashed the current environment with franchise style movies back in the 1970’s and 1980’s. Seems it had a boomerang effect on them in their later years. Now having a hard time getting the green light on their non-franchise projects. But they made a gigantic amount of money, so it’s hard to feel bad for them. 

20 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

George Lucas our true savior selling Lucas Film to Disney knowing they would implode   sooner than later and that would end the current shitty landscape of cinema that DIS helped so much by relying on super expensive IP’s only

What a king 

Am I the only one who believes that bringing up this article right now hurts those striking for better and more fair pay, rather than helps?

I mean, please, if I'm wrong, please educate me, but it really feels like this falls in line with the Studio narrative that SAG and WGA are asking for too much.

@Deep Wang I might be more inclined to get on the hype train that you have for sound of freedom. The initial number last night was six then it went up to 6.5 early this morning and now the official number is that it did seven. They're saying it could have a 26-28 million dollar weekend. These numbers are insane and I'm starting to think now maybe you're right. It really might be the fifth highest grossing movie of the summer. 😲😲

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

Sound of freedom was probably 10 years in the making. It wasn't just slapped together with crazy glue and lego. There was five years of research that went into it before a camera even started rolling. Then there was another 5 years sitting on a shelf in Disney's basement because they didn't want to release it. So it's not like sound to freedom was just something slapped together and then became an overnight success. There's a huge process in it just like there is in any Hollywood film.

But where did i say it was a easy cash grab made in 3 weeks? I just said it looks like a TV movie, visually, that’s why i compared with MI7.

I can quote many big movies of the summer that costs 250M and was in development for years as well and also looks bad, it happens 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lab276 said:

But who knew Barbenheimer was going to be what it was when they chose the dates?

Foolish to challenge Nolan for IMAX screens. His relationship with IMAX is as strong as any connection in Hollywood. MI7 needed a spot on the calendar where it wasn’t at risk of losing IMAX and other PLF’s after a single week. 

• Like 2

These films are bombing/flopping for a couple reasons, both of which fall on the studios:

1. Marketing. Just look at Barbie and Oppenheimer, neither film has had to end their critic review embargo, and the films come out in less than a week! Those films marketed themselves brilliantly, and they're going to get rewarded.

2. Too many films are being released all at once. We had 3 months of hardly anything, and then, summer came, and EVERY FILM HAS TO COME OUT NOW!

These are all studio problems.

41 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Jesus Christ 

If you add SoF to Mi7"s open, you get the $100M+ 5 day open...heck, you get way more...

As I said before, if you asked me if I had to worry about MI7 getting its audience sniped, I'd have said no way b/c I saw the Flash and Indy bombs coming...but, I did NOT see Sound of Freedom coming until it was way too late to change course.  And among Caucasian and Hispanic 35+ (especially women), SOF's soaring...

SOF made 1/2 of the MI7 Friday, with 1200 fewer theaters, no PLF, and smaller screens...crazy...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

Inventing a time machine to prevent the Lucasfilm sale and the DCEU, so that Indy 5 and the Flash are never made, just so that Dead reckoning can get the month of PLFs it deserves. 

Wonder how MI would have done if they just moved it to the first week of August. Barbie and Oppenheimer would have already released, and then MI would basically be the biggest movie playing through August and September.

Of course, that would rely on Paramount giving it a blitz campaign after Barbie and Oppenheimer weekend.

5 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Am I the only one who believes that bringing up this article right now hurts those striking for better and more fair pay, rather than helps?

I mean, please, if I'm wrong, please educate me, but it really feels like this falls in line with the Studio narrative that SAG and WGA are asking for too much.

I don’t think so, their arguments about the movies being too expensive was for dozens of reasons other than too many people making good money out of them. 

We have a lot of movies costing 300M this summer and i’m 100% sure most people that worked on them make very little money. 

Because of that i don’t think there’s a correlation between their criticism of the insane budgets with the workers situation. I would say is even compliment the situation since the studios are spending too much and it’s not because they put value on the artists.