CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

5 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Barbieheimer gonna be the the biggest weekend since endgame. 

Even 200M for Barbie seems kinda insane without strong PFL participation tbh 

I really hope if next weekend ended up being “just” 140M we won’t see endless discussions about what went wrong 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, XXR Union Solidarity said:

I'm happy to see Elemental is having Elle McPherson-esque legs. It's unfortunate that it can't get the type of run it would have gotten 5-10 years ago but hopefully it's a start that turns around the sentiments of the audience to see more Pixar/Disney animated stuff in theaters again. Cheers to a strong Elio and Wish!

MI:7....what can you say. The presale tracking bore out that this wouldn't be overly strong but a lot of people held out hope for some kind of backload that isn't materializing. Best case scenario at this point is probably $180M DOM, but more likely is $140-160M. 

$140m?  It'll be at $125m after an $8.7m or so w/e going into next w/e at a $130m minimum.  It would need to collapse to miss $150m.  I'd say more likely above $160m than under.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

It will but i think it will be quite like NWH opening with 260M and Encanto dropping 35% the same weekend (in a way worse run).

Even if Barbenheimmer ended up with 260M together (which seems extreme), i think we’ll just see a 25-30% drop for Elemental instead of 10% like this weekend, and then it’ll course correct the weekend after.

No Way Home also sold out like crazy and Encanto was the back-up option for families who showed up and got left out. I don’t think Barbie will have a similar spillover effect, being less of a family draw. I’m thinking more -35% (pending theater/show volume cuts)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M37 said:

I guess everyone is finally coming around to accept this reality 

Its sad, but all the signs and generally the box office of the last 2 years point to this.

My personal prediction is that the main effect will be: Less and less big movies, especially because they compete with each other for the important PLF screens and if every "big" movie would have say 3 weeks for itself, it would mean more chances for every one of them to avoid beeing a flop.

Less movies would also (hopefully?) mean a more strict quality control. Audience and critic reception is more important than ever it seems and if the studios actually do make less movies, they need to make sure that those are good ones. Big Blockbusters would evolve (if they havent already) into theme park rides, expensive things that a family can only go to like 3 or 4 times a year.

Thats all speculation from my part, but i think one thing is clear: The cinema landscape has been drastically changed by Covid and that change is far from beeing ended as a process.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Jesus Christ 

I would be so pissed if i was Tom Cruise and realize i dedicated years to create a dazzling cinematic achievement to lose some audience to something that looks like a glamourized TV movie lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 7
  • ...wtf 2

I think it’ll hold pretty well second weekend. I’m waiting to see it because my friends wanted a triple feature weekend with Barbenheimer. I’m sure some others are doing the same.

George Lucas our true savior selling Lucas Film to Disney knowing they would implode   sooner than later and that would end the current shitty landscape of cinema that DIS helped so much by relying on super expensive IP’s only

What a king 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its sad, but all the signs and generally the box office of the last 2 years point to this.

My personal prediction is that the main effect will be: Less and less big movies, especially because they compete with each other for the important PLF screens and if every "big" movie would have say 3 weeks for itself, it would mean more chances for every one of them to avoid beeing a flop.

Less movies would also (hopefully?) mean a more strict quality control. Audience and critic reception is more important than ever it seems and if the studios actually do make less movies, they need to make sure that those are good ones. Big Blockbusters would evolve (if they havent already) into theme park rides, expensive things that a family can only go to like 3 or 4 times a year.

Thats all speculation from my part, but i think one thing is clear: The cinema landscape has been drastically changed by Covid and that change is far from beeing ended as a process.

They need to space out their releases, not make less movies.

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I would be so pissed if i was Tom Cruise and realize i dedicated years to create a dazzling cinematic achievement to lose some audience to something that looks like a glamourized TV movie lol 

Sound of freedom was probably 10 years in the making. It wasn't just slapped together with crazy glue and lego. There was five years of research that went into it before a camera even started rolling. Then there was another 5 years sitting on a shelf in Disney's basement because they didn't want to release it. So it's not like sound to freedom was just something slapped together and then became an overnight success. There's a huge process in it just like there is in any Hollywood film.

• Like 3