kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers | Jul 17 - 20 | Wednesday | 4.74M M:I - DEAD RECKONING I | 4.72M SOUND OF FREEDOM

10 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Why are people acting like when you have kids and job you have less free time is some sort of revelation? Is this what happens when we get older, we start going "ahhh you kids don't know anything about life. I have RESPONSIBILITIES" no matter what.

Its not a revelation, as much as the proverbial "when its my turn I won't do that / be that way / etc," that life bites you with. Similar to how when I have kids they will never .... and then you wake up one day and realize that you lived in a fantasy world as a young "care free" adult. 

For years a movie every Friday night was our norm, and we had our group who went - then it changed one by one as responsibilities were added or changed. It is just a fact of life - and a prime reason why films that attract the older crowd due on average tend to leg it out, versus the rush of the younger set. 

I've made it to the theater twice so far this year - once to take my kids to Mario and once for a date night with my wife when we saw Guardians. But that took a month to set up and ensure and it was a 6 hour window by the time driving and dinner were factored in, and we stayed local in my rural area. The kind of screen truly needed for MI would add 2 hours of drive time. Somethings fall by the wayside, not due to lack of interest but it ends up not being a bigger priority like it was 20 years ago. 

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Elegiental said:

Obviously some people have less free time and some have more, but you can always make 4 hours for something you’re really excited about. If there’s medium interest than busyness becomes more of a factor.

This frankly goes back to the gap theory: medium interest, even among a large audience pool, now only gets you part of the way there, to a ceiling of around ~$230M domestic; the bar to get people into theaters is just higher now. There has to be high interest among a large enough sub-group to slide in between, like Mermaid with Black audiences/women, SOF with rural/religious groups

Or high interest among enough audience demos to break all the way through to the ~$350M+ level (aka “it factor”)

• Like 2

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE SHOWDOWN

DR won't reach FALLOUT, so we're focusing on RN and maybe 200m. RN will have a much better drop and second weekend. The real test will be week 3 onwards for DR.

1st TUESDAY:

7.232M ROGUE NATION +7%

7.263m DEAD RECKONING +37%

DEAD RECKONING DAILY GAIN

ROGUE NATION - PLUS 0.031m

CUME:

69.542m ROGUE NATION

91.069m DEAD RECKONING

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

This post should be pinned. 

Adulting sucks sometimes. 

Exactly.

Before I got married, my gf at the time (now my wife) used to watch almost every new release in the cinema back then.

Nowadays, I only watch a handful and I mean that in the literal sense, only a handful of movies in cinemas now.  Stuff is really expensive now and with kids it's REALLY. REALLY EXPENSIVE. It's almost as if the govt doesn't want us to have kids. 

Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

I just realised there's a very real possibility that MI7 NEVER overtakes Sound of Freedom's cumulative gross throughout its entire run

Even Oppenheimer is having bigger chance to beat MI7 at domestic. 

Wondering how much SOF is going to make this weekend in general. Will it's legs be cut by Barbenheimer? Will it even matter? Could this be the first $200M domestic grosser to make a total of $10 overseas? Time will tell.

Other then that these are actually pretty good numbers for MI7 who is going to struggle come this weekend. My only hope is that the drop isn't too bad. Great movie too, sucks to see it having issues.

And then of course #ElementalSweep. It continues!

14 minutes ago, M37 said:

This frankly goes back to the gap theory: medium interest, even among a large audience pool, now only gets you part of the way there, to a ceiling of around ~$230M domestic; the bar to get people into theaters is just higher now. There has to be high interest among a large enough sub-group to slide in between, like Mermaid with Black audiences/women, SOF with rural/religious groups

Or high interest among enough audience demos to break all the way through to the ~$350M+ level (aka “it factor”)

And I guess rare movies like SoF have that extra amplifying driver when the movie itself kicks a rare emotional punch which makes people share it on the water cooler and recommend actively friends to see it. Even though people that liked and loved TLM it didn't have the same (positive) gut punch effect as SoF which could amplify BO.

And of course in SoF's case "they are trying to silence us and shove this cause under the rug" mentality amplifies BO as well. Anger is an effective way to get people to take action.

Though, I think the former is way more important factor for the whole BO run of SoF and the latter maybe just similar as PIF by effect. But it all adds up...

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Exactly.

Before I got married, my gf at the time (now my wife) used to watch almost every new release in the cinema back then.

Nowadays, I only watch a handful and I mean that in the literal sense, only a handful of movies in cinemas now.  Stuff is really expensive now and with kids it's REALLY. REALLY EXPENSIVE. It's almost as if the govt doesn't want us to have kids. 

what’s the monthly pass situation like with US chains now?

I pay £15 (about $20) a month for unlimited cinema in the U.K.  

Considering the big difference in trade's expectations on Barbie's OW and what BOT's tracking is showing, I feel like lot of people will be positively surprised at Barbie's numbers this weekend. I bought some AMC options (expiring on 7/28) for this reason.....I feel like there will be a mini-pump of AMC stock on Monday as a reaction to weekend boxoffice numbers.

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

what’s the monthly pass situation like with US chains now?

I pay £15 (about $20) a month for unlimited cinema in the U.K.  

I'm in Canada :) .

I don't have a monthly pass (I'm paying a fair amount for streaming channels) but going to watch a movie with the family (in British Columbia) could easily cost near a hundred dollars here (depending on the screen and the concessions).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

I don't have a monthly pass (I'm paying a fair amount for streaming channels) but going to watch a movie with the family (in British Columbia) could easily cost near a hundred dollars here (depending on the screen and the concessions).

As a fellow Canadian I didn't even know a monthly pass exists in this world! For so cheap! It would've been wonders for me even years ago when I was still in school.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Exactly.

This is why I post every free and cheap ticket deal I find.  Partly, it's to help the trackers know when a movie might have a blip, but partly it's to help movie fans to see more movies when money is a factor, and if you have a family, money is ALWAYS a factor:).

I do hope some of you got in on SoF, Cobweb, and TMNT this month...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

that’s wild. I just looked at what Barbie would cost at one of our big chains offer (Cineworld) and they do a family ticket (equates to 2 adults and 2 children) for £32 (about $50 CAD) and that’s peak time on Saturday.  

That’s a pretty good deal. 
Even when I was a kid it was probably £15 for my parents, me and my sister. So with inflation over 20 years I’m not sure it’s actually that much more expensive. Sure there’s big PLF uplifts etc, but for a decent standard multiplex screen I think it’s reasonable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Man ever since the strike view counts for these trailers have been shockingly low. Haunting in Venice is not even at 50k. It took Holdovers an entire day to get a million views.

I just looked and haunting has over 5M on the main account. Think you must be looking at one of the sub accounts.